Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the correct Form to post this question but I'm confident the admin person will straighten me out if it isn't.

During the warmer weather, when I complete my grueling 6 mile commute from my office to home, I always open the hood to dissipate the heat from the engine. Call me anal but does this car generate more heat due to the dual turbos?
I've been pondering adding a couple vents to the hood to aid in dissipating the heat.
Please give me your feedback on this issue. Am I worried about nothing? Has anyone else considered this?
I've scoured the Forum & (unless I overlooked it) haven't seen this concern pop-up anywhere.

thank you in advance for your thoughts/feedback.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I came from an 03 accord to this beast. In my garage, I definitely notice that the fusion generates more heat, but after considering it for a while, I can’t imagine it being anything the engineers didn’t account for.

I’m a shadow black owner which probably attributes to the heat, and between the massive engine and snug engine bay, there’s a lot of things to heat up.

I think it’s fine. It was a big thing to get used to, but if anything, slowing down the heat dissipation likely contributes to the lifespan of the materials. Fast temp changes are never friendly, and as long as the engineers considered it, I won’t worry about it.

Several owners here are in the upper 60k’s and some have already hit 100k miles. Additionally some of these owners live in sub zero temps, and it seems like winter doesn’t phase the sport, other than killing batteries on seldom driven examples.

Other than the intercooler heat soaking, I haven’t had any issues in the Florida summers. It gets hottttttt, but the brains engineered for it.

Trust ‘em.

Best,
D

·
Registered
608 Posts
Not sure if this is the correct Form to post this question but I'm confident the admin person will straighten me out if it isn't.

During the warmer weather, when I complete my grueling 6 mile commute from my office to home, I always open the hood to dissipate the heat from the engine. Call me anal but does this car generate more heat due to the dual turbos?
I've been pondering adding a couple vents to the hood to aid in dissipating the heat.
Please give me your feedback on this issue. Am I worried about nothing? Has anyone else considered this?
I've scoured the Forum & (unless I overlooked it) haven't seen this concern pop-up anywhere.

thank you in advance for your thoughts/feedback.
Hi BF. Yes, turbos tend to generate more heat, so generally speaking, the engine bay of a turbocharged vehicle will run hotter than a similar non-turbocharged vehicle, apples to apples.

However...yes, you are worrying about nothing. There is absolutely no need to be opening the hood of your car after driving to work (or anywhere else). Not only is there no need, but it is accomplishing nothing, other than having your neighbors think there is something wrong with your car every single day. ;)

Good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
#1 - You're not hurting it by opening the hood when you arrive home, however, as others have advised it's not really necessary. Years ago my brother in Phoenix area had a Maserati Bi-Turbo & he would pop the hood when arriving home.

What I do recommend is driving at a leisurely pace the last half mile before you turn the engine off to help dissipate heat from the turbo bearings although this is not a major issue with the water cooled turbo bearings compared to older turbos that did not have water cooling around the turbo bearings.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Police used to do that all the time for the Crown Vics running traffic in the summer.

The water cooled turbos are supposed to keep flowing coolant when the engine is shut off, I usually cruise the last couple of miles to let everything simmer down but truth of the matter is that the ECT is not going down any faster with slow speed driving unless the fan is running. Just run a synthetic engine oil, change every 5k, and don't be doing full boost WOT drag racing down your street and shut off the engine immediately afterwards.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like we have a consensus, I'm worried over nothing. Thank you all for your feedback. Now I can get some sleep at night...at least until I find something else to worry about....I wonder if I install a sprinkler system under the hood? That may help my anxiety?.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts