Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
Thanks for posting! I tried doing this last year - couldn't find one used and new was back ordered for over 3 months and they just canceled on me.. I took it as a sign, lol. It does look much better, tho! But touching the hood is a deal breaker for me, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Take it off if you want performance. It's mainly there for sound insulation, and as future building materials/housing for rodents.

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
As much as I love to see my engine, I'm happy to take a hit in performance that's so small you can't measure it, in order to cover that mess of wiring and piping in these cars.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jc4tmc

·
Registered
348 Posts
As much as I love to see my engine, I'm happy to take a hit in performance that's so small you can't measure it, in order to cover that mess of wiring and piping in these cars.

My experience is it’s worth taking it off for a specific reason - it holds a lot of heat in the engine. So mine comes off for race season and back on for winter. Same thing with the under-engine tray/cover. Really protects the engine bay from winter road debris and salt spray but holds a lot of engine bay heat in the warm weather.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
The engine cover should come off at the track, but the underbody tray is also there for air flow/aerodynamics to help channel the air properly through the engine bay. My SHO used its pan to direct air to the rear turbo and PTU.

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
Same thing with the under-engine tray/cover. Really protects the engine bay from winter road debris and salt spray but holds a lot of engine bay heat in the warm weather.
Have you done any proper testing on that? As metroplex said, nearly all, if not all vehicles nowadays, use the shielding to a help cooling as well, by directing air under the body to other parts. The Jaguar F-Pace is one thing I know (just due to my own interest in those) has shown much warmer trans & diff temps without the shields on. Ice also owned 2 MK3 Eacape's, same deal with those. I've never tested on the Fusion to be sure tho, but I'd be very surprised if that wasn't also the case.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I was told by a Ford engineer back when the CD4 first came over that the underbody trays were for under car airflow with intent of increasing mpg, adding stability, and significantly, to reduce NVH. The choice of semi-rigid felt for the under engine tray and rear wheel well liners was for noise reduction. My under engine tray got saturated with engine oil after an oil change when the kid at the dealership didn’t tighten the drain plug in fear of stripping it (again). So my tray is much heavier than stock. Beauty of it is that area under my car is nearly rust free after 108k of Ohio roads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts