Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worth the $6.

Attachments

·
Registered
624 Posts
Worth the $6.
Not bad!
Just noticed your signature "Stock until a solid 93 tune is available". Do you feel the currently available tunes are not solid? Just curious, I absolutely love my tune, but haven't ever had a car tuned previously.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really would love an unleashed tune and if a Ford Pro Cal isn't available in the next few months, than I will most likely go with unleashed. I'm just weary due to all the issues and potential issues with the PTU and it not being covered under warranty. Nearly every other EcoBoost platform offers tunes from ford that offer 50-100ftlbs without voiding the warranty, so I'm holding out as long as I can.

Reactions: Cobra427

·
Registered
481 Posts
I really would love an unleashed tune and if a Ford Pro Cal isn't available in the next few months, than I will most likely go with unleashed. I'm just weary due to all the issues and potential issues with the PTU and it not being covered under warranty. Nearly every other EcoBoost platform offers tunes from ford that offer 50-100ftlbs without voiding the warranty, so I'm holding out as long as I can.
Love the emblem! someone correct me if im wrong it does in fact still void ur ford warranty and it gets converted to a 3yr/36k ford racing warranty. Again im not 100% but im sure someone will correct me

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reactions: D&D

·
Registered
740 Posts
I custom ordered mine with AWD on it. Looks great.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I totally understand everyone wanting a Ford Performance tune and products. I was one of you. However, don't hold your breath. Ford does not offer tunes for nearly every ecoboost platform unless I am totally missing something. Ford performance doesn't even offer anything for the SHO that I've found. They have tunes for Mustang, Focus ST AND RS, and Fiesta ST. They offer a lot of parts for the F-150 but no tunes that I could find. And that's it for current production vehicles. Also I have huge doubts on your claim that they have warranted tunes that get anywhere near 50-100ft lbs increase. I came very close to getting a focus ST with plans of getting some or all of the following Ford Performance offerings: tune, intercooler upgrade, CAI, AND exhaust. I wish they(Ford Performance division, formerly SVT) supported more of their vehicles, but they don't, currently.

I would also be very weary of any tuner who claims, or even does achieve 70-100ft lbs purely from a tune. These are the guys whose cars blow up and tell stories of how Ford/Oem voided their warranty. Yes there are risks to tunes from anybody. Reputable tuners with a good track record are certainly the way to go. I even suspect that LMS and unleashed can tune your car for even more performance than the standard tunes they are delivering if you ask or beg for more(you are a paying customer), but this may come at increased risk of damage to your car. This fact is also what muddies the answer to who has the best tune, or the fastest tune.
I'm not the most experienced guy here at all so, Just My 2¢. Experienced tuners what you say?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kevin, I hear ya loud & clear and agree. I've had tuned vehicles in the past (dyno with the C6 and COBB with the WRX) Since both of these weren't new drivetrains, I felt comfortable tuning them with tunes that were used for years problem free from nearly countless users. Unfortunately the only thing holding me back is our current questionable PTU capability. Neendless to say, I already have a track day planned for April 8th with some buddies, so I will for sure be tuned by then. By who? Not sure yet.

And I also agree with you that near 100ftlb claims are questionable. I was simply using a Focus kit I saw (M9603AFST) on the Ford website that advertises 90ft gain with a tuner, colder plugs, and air filter. Either way there haven't been any complaints with the tunes available so far, so that is reassuring.

Reactions: Kevin74 and 1153

·
Registered
320 Posts
I know that our PTU could be a weak link, however the same one was used on my Flex which was a heavier vehicle with a 4500lb towing capacity.
I think if you change the oil in it at a reasonable rate (I am going with 25k miles) and use a quality synthetic it will survive the kind of street performance duty cycles most will put on these FS. I feel that a lot of PTU failures are from the oil being over heated or worn out, which kills is ability to protect the arguably weak sauce plastic bushing, leading to a progressive breakdown.

This fluid in no way should be seen as a life time fill, like Ford states.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Let's see it!

I guess I am out of luck since I pulled my ECO emblem. LOL
Magnetic found them. I think I have a shot in my post somewhere.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Neendless to say, I already have a track day planned for April 8th with some buddies, so I will for sure be tuned by then. By who? Not sure yet.

And I also agree with you that near 100ftlb claims are questionable. I was simply using a Focus kit I saw (M9603AFST) on the Ford website that advertises 90ft gain with a tuner, colder plugs, and air filter. Either way there haven't been any complaints with the tunes available so far, so that is reassuring.
I must say I'm surprised by the 90ft lbs on just that kit.
I think Ford Performance is missing an opportunity particularly with the Sport and SHO. I wasn't trying to call you, airwelldone out, hope it wasn't taken that way, but wanted to make a point regarding irresponsible tuning which can/has created a fear of tuning. This car can be an awesome beast safely I feel/hope. Only time will tell.
Looking forward to your report from the track airwelldone.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Reactions: JaredC01
1 - 20 of 20 Posts