Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

E30 tune

21K views 41 replies 13 participants last post by  Brandx51 
#1 ·
Is anybody running an E30 tune? It is a blend of 91/93 octane and e85 for those who did not know. I ran a e30 tune in my Focus ST and it was sooooo much faster than the 93 tune. I raced another ST with full bolt ones including turboback exhaust, intercooler and 93 tune. I was all stock except the e30 tune and still pulled on him badly. So I was thinking it may be similar with the fusion sport.

#3 ·
In my Focus ST I would wait till near empty than fill 3 gallons of E85 followed by the rest 93 octane. It never had any issues with the ethanol tune. I will say it was a torque monster, 365 torque to the wheels.

With the Fusion, it is an 18 gallon tank so 5 1/2 gallons of E85 and the rest 93/91 octane.

#4 ·
We have E-30 in the pumps all mixed and ready to go. One of the benifits of living in the Midwest. Lol.

Has anyone determined if our fuel systems, turbos, and cats can handle E-30 yet? Or E-85? Wouldn't mind getting a tune in one of those, along with 91 and 87 just incase. But I don't wanna do it unless it's determined safe for our cars.

#11 ·
I loaded the E30 tune from Unleashed after testing with the 93 tune, the difference is pretty impressive. I haven't measured 0-60 but it feels like a completely different car, I would say mid to low 4 second is absolutely believable. This alone is worth the risk to me, plus it depends on how long you intend to keep the car. This car with bigger turbos/intercooler would be an absolute beast, but I am not trying to get too crazy.

#12 ·
That is great news! Please give us a run down the strip at some point. We are eagerly waiting track times.

Reactions: Kevin74
#17 ·
I saw your PM, but I cannot reply until I have 15 messages. The performance is incredible and I am certain at least as much of a difference as you experienced on the ST. This makes any risks worth it to me. Definitely unload the tune when taking it in. I have tuned many cars and never had an issue, even after a blown engine many years back (not a Ford car).

The tune (even 93) makes the car feel the way it should from the factory. It is quick out of the box, but when I think twin turbo engine I am expecting more.

#18 · (Edited)
Loaded the tune last night, mixed 93 and e85 according to the Ethanol blend app to get @ E30. I ran a few 0-60 runs with the performance meter on my SCT tuner. I ended up running around 4.4-4.3 seconds 0-60.

While not accurate I'm sure, I do have many baseline runs at 4.6-4.7 seconds so there is an improvement. Also I had a full tank of gas and did not remove my spare tire or 80lb Sub-woofer box.

I wont get to the track till next week for a more accurate comparison.

#20 ·
Anyone ask Livernois if they have an E30 tune?

#24 ·
Livernois has an E30 for the Focus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpEbHq2U800

Gains from the 93 tune, but not huge. You be the judge...

No idea about the Fusion Sport though.
Almost 20 hp and tq? That is about 2 tenths in QM, so pretty significant to me. It feels like its at least that if not more so on the Fusion, probably due to the engine being bigger etc.

You typically cannot feel less than a 10hp gain from my personal experience and dynoing on previous cars. All I know is I am loving it! ;)

#25 ·
This question was posed a couple months ago in the general discussion forum (http://www.fusionsportforums.com/fo...-discussion/11058-unleashed-e30-e40-tune.html). I've been running Torrie's E30 tune for a couple months now and it's been doing great. We are up to revision five now so it looks like we are getting pretty close to being dialed-in. Based on calculating times from the datalogs, with IATs in the 90s, we have been able to go from 6.6 0-60 on the 87 performance tune to 5.0 0-60 on E30. We are still revising so I'm hopeful we can go into the 4 second range in this weather. Calculating the DA for the majority of runs I've made we are doing all of this in the area of 2600-2800 DA.

#29 ·
It doesn't matter what it uses for the gasoline grade, what matters is that the end result. 87 octane or 91 or 93 octane with corn juice added will still come out to be the same set up at the end. Just more corn juice to make the 87 work.

What I'd really like to try is e85. But... I'm guessing cuz of all the warnings about no more than 15% ethanol, our fuel systems must be made out of rubber now, instead of in the beginning of the 2000s when they stopped using rubber fuel components and started using nitrile since everything was going flex fuel and most gas had ethanol in it.

#30 · (Edited)
Well I think it does matter a bit. Isn't the whole point of running E30, to get the octane higher? That's the only benefit I know of for running "corn juice". Cheap way to increase the octane, vs racing fuel. It's all about the octane right? The octane will not be the same in the end. Higher octane in, higher octane out.

#33 ·
I guess I'm a little confused. I thought E30 only referred to the percentage of ethanol. As in 30% ethanol. You create a mixture using 87 octane and another using 93 octane and although both will get you 30% ethanol they won't be the same average octane.

#38 ·
It's all good.
This conversation really got me thinking about the variability of the actual octane rating one might have when mixing different gas to create an E30 mixture. Still really curious how the E30 tune handles this. Hoping someone running or creating E30 tune chimes in. Thinking some datalogging might be required for tuner to get an idea of what octane your E30 mix is maybe? And that once tune is finalized you would need to keep your E30 mix as consistent as possible?

I was freaking out a bit last year when I went on a road rally with my brand new 93 octane tune loaded and found myself needing gas and couldn't find any 93 gas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.