Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local place said they would tune my 17 awd FFS for 895? Is this a fair price or a rip off? Im a complete car noob btw.

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Lots of questions for this but if it a custom dyno tune then I wouldn't say it is a rip off. If it isn't then yes as you can get a solid tune from several vendors with the programmer for less than $500. Also do they have a working knowledge of Ecoboost tuning? If not you could be headed into rough territory...

Reactions: MY27FUSION

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lots of questions for this but if it a custom dyno tune then I wouldn't say it is a rip off. If it isn't then yes as you can get a solid tune from several vendors with the programmer for less than $500. Also do they have a working knowledge of Ecoboost tuning? If not you could be headed into rough territory...
yes they said it would be a custom dyno, this would be their first ever FFS to tune. But they have a lot of experience in ecoboost. Does it matter that they never worked on FFS before. They work on F-150s and to my knowledge its the same engine.

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
It is the same engine but EcoBoost is a different animal and not just anybody can do it correctly. You doing a 93 or E30 tune?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe its a 93 tune. I need to double check that, but I think its a 93 because the guy said I would have to put 93 octane in after the tune (which I already do).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Totally agree, the known ecoboost tuners have spent 100s of hours figuring out what to tweak and work around problems.
It is the same engine but EcoBoost is a different animal and not just anybody can do it correctly. You doing a 93 or E30 tune?

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
At this point we have several tuners that have worked with many of us to refine their off the shelf tunes to a point where a dyno tune really isn't doing to yield you a lot of gain. Torrie owner Unleashed Tuning has multiple level tunes from 87 octane to E30 and had also work multi level E tunes all the way to E85 and full bolt on, James of Tuning by James also can provide you tunes from 87 to E30 and currently had tunes the fasted recorded Sport, Boost City has joined the group with 87 thru E30 offerings and there is also Livernois Motorsports with 87 and 93 tunes. Any of these can be had for around $500 and you have a programmer that you can buy other tunes later and install yourself. Personally Unleashed 93 tune has been outstanding, you get performance, it resolves the poor Ford transmission programming and you can datalog the tune and send to Torrie and he can tweak the tune for what your car wants. That would leave you with extra money for a RMM or halfway to a FMIC.

Reactions: Vidmo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this is the places site TUNING
the guy seemed pretty confident he can add a lot of power. They claimed that the car would still be under warranty, if I used them. Which is a nice bonus.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I dont know how they can claim that the car is under warranty vs other tuners. The other thing to ask them is how much are they going to work on drivability and transmission tuning.

·
Registered
380 Posts
this is the places site TUNING
the guy seemed pretty confident he can add a lot of power. They claimed that the car would still be under warranty, if I used them. Which is a nice bonus.
Hi rallydog. Just so you are aware: It does not matter what anyone who is trying to sell you something tells you. Ford makes the final decision. And if you read your Warranty Guide, it specifically states that altering the engine/transmission tuning in any way, including programming alterations, will lead to denied warranty claims

The warranty facts are this: If you use any type of aftermarket tuner, chip etc that alters the engine/PCM/transmission/TCM etc., and later have any type of engine/transmission/powertrain issues, Ford can/will deny your warranty claim if it can be connected to the problem in any way...even remotely.
And Ford specifically looks for the traces of these tunes and other modifications when they diagnose a car for warranty covered issues.

What these aftermarket companies do is play legalese with their product wording. They will say that their product "does not void your warranty". That is true. It does not "void" the warranty. Voiding the warranty means absolutely nothing will ever be covered under warranty again. No climate control problems. No audio issues. No power window problem. No door handle problem, etc.
If you install a tune, those non engine/transmission/powertrain items will still be covered under warranty. Because your warranty is not "voided". Very few things (i.e a Salvage title) voids the warranty. So what they tell you is technically true. Their tune does not "void your warranty".

However, if you have engine/transmission trouble, your are on your own. So...just remember that installing a tune can/will lead to denied warranty claims on engine/transmission/powertrain issues. That is a fact of life and plainly explained in our Warranty Guide, as previously mentioned.

If you value your 3 year/36,000 mile New Car Warranty and your 5 year/60,000 mile Powertrain Warranty, wait until your car is out of warranty to install a tune.

Hope this explanation is understandable. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
The only way tuning would be guaranteed not to be called into question is if it was an official Ford product and that doesn't exist. Also I was looking and they do not have a SPORT on their tune offerings so you would be doing them a HUGE favor allowing them to develop a tune that they could market for profit. Did a little digging and it appears they only have a single axle dyno and not an AWD dyno. I sent them an inquiry on FB asking if they have an AWD Dyno.

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
SO this would indicate to me however you are talking to over there doesn't know what a Sport is...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SO this would indicate to me however you are talking to over there doesn't know what a Sport is...

View attachment 26726
thanks for asking that! thats strange, because the guy i talked to said they could do it. They just told me I have to take the car in, they will check the code then determine if they can actually tune my car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts