Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about ready to start some mods on my 17 FFS with 21K miles (Unleashed tuner, exhaust . . .) and before I did anything, I got the dreaded "SEE MANUAL" and the wrench code
P0073 Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Circuit High, P0098 Intake Air Temperature Sensor 2 Circuit High, and P0108 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit High Input.

Anyone else experience this? I did have some front end work done well over a month ago (front bumper and passenger side fender replaced after getting side-swiped). Car has been running great, and a couple of days ago after the car was parked over night, I got the codes and the engine is running horribly. I'm bringing it in to the shop, but because of the holidays, I couldn't get an appointment until next week.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Sounds like a furry friend might have chewed on some wires , what temp does the radio say 50degrees ?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Ambient Air Temp Sensor is located behind the front bumper on the passenger side. Might start there. If they took the front bumper off they may not have plugged it back in all the way. Also, check and make sure one of your hoses on you intercooler may have come loose.

Reactions: MY27FUSION

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Yes the temp is stuck at 50 degrees. Is it possible to plug the sensor back in without taking the bumper off?

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
remove the lower splash shield and reach your hand up there in the middle of the grill area if I remember correctly if it is plugged in there then check Driver side fender well harness 2 plugs there where fender and bumper meet

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got around to removing the plastic engine cover. Sure enough . . . a furry friend got into my engine compartment and chewed a wire on a MAP sensor! It's chewed right at the connection, so I can't just splice the wire back together. Any ideas?

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you are handy with a soldering iron, you should be able to buy a replacement pigtail connector from the parts store. I've had to do that before with my Ranger.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm not sure how familiar you are with soldering (if you are, feel free to ignore me) but just remember the goal there is to heat the metals you're trying to join, not really the solder itself. The solder should melt as a side effect of heating the wires themselves. Also, you want a really smooth, uniform joint.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've only used a soldering iron sparingly in the past, so I'm not that competent, but I'll give it a try. Do you know if the wires can be pulled out of the pigtail? I'm wondering if I can find a replacement pigtail and rewire with that?

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Yes the wires can be removed , unplug the clip and remove the plastic retainer with small flathead screw driver then with a small pic release the tap on top of the wire connector and pull the wire out I can send you some pics if you need them , or go to ford buy new pigtail and remove the wire from it and install into old connector then solder it hope this helps good luck

·
Registered
336 Posts
Key to soldering imo is twist the wires together, use soldering iron UNDER the wires, put solder on TOP of the wires, let the heat draw the solder down toward the iron through the wires, heat shrink connection, it'll be good as new. I was pretty anal about all the connections for my methanol setup and I've not had a single issue yet. Oh also make sure you use rosin core solder

·
Registered
658 Posts
Key to soldering imo is twist the wires together, use soldering iron UNDER the wires, put solder on TOP of the wires, let the heat draw the solder down toward the iron through the wires, heat shrink connection, it'll be good as new. I was pretty anal about all the connections for my methanol setup and I've not had a single issue yet. Oh also make sure you use rosin core solder
@VelocityBrew gave a better description than me imo but I agree 100% with him :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ordered a new pigtail from the dealership today, it'll be in on Tue. I'll do the repair and let you know. Thank you very much for the advice, I actually think I can do this!

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
it sounds harder then it is to do , this is the first time I have been right in awhile lol darn furry friends

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
How is the repair coming along?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, turns out that I had more than one wire chewed on, so I had to order a new harness, which came in this afternoon. Doing the install tomorrow with some help. In the mean time, I have nose off and fixing the sensor connections that were not reconnected properly when I had front end work done. So that should take care of all the codes. I also installed Borla axle backs and my Unleashed tuner is set to go. Should be on the road by tomorrow afternoon!

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
How is the repair coming along , your mods should make the FFS more fun to drive

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OMG - it's unbelievable! It's incredible, and addicting . . . I'm thinking about the next round of mods already! Any suggestions (FMIC, Catch Can . . .)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well, turns out that I had more than one wire chewed on, so I had to order a new harness, which came in this afternoon. Doing the install tomorrow with some help. In the mean time, I have nose off and fixing the sensor connections that were not reconnected properly when I had front end work done. So that should take care of all the codes. I also installed Borla axle backs and my Unleashed tuner is set to go. Should be on the road by tomorrow afternoon!
I was speaking to a guy at work who has an F-150 and he said Ford said to spray some peppermint on the wires as the rodents don't like it. I am not sure what that actually is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was speaking to a guy at work who has an F-150 and he said Ford said to spray some peppermint on the wires as the rodents don't like it. I am not sure what that actually is.
Sounds like a pretty low cost solution. I've never had this problem before, but I've heard of plenty of others who have . . . I'm a little paranoid now, so I'll give it try.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts