Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like the DRL LEDs are capable of changing color - they're white in DRL mode but they turn amber when you use your turn signals. Is there a way to force DRLs to be amber? When you used your turn signal the amber LEDs would blink like normal but instead of returning to white after the turn, they'd remain a solid amber.

I've always liked how much Tundra/Tacoma and Telluride amber DRLs stand out on the road.

·
Registered
879 Posts
That picture in a snowstorm made me throw up in my mouth a little…

• Haha
Reactions: maydk65 and LeVeL

·
Registered
904 Posts
The wheels alone make me want to vomit, LOL

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
I haven't tried this on mine (just no interest to), but if you want, try this:

DRLType = TurnLamp: 726-50-01 08xx

My default was 10xx

Make a backup (as always) first! Let us know if this worked. If not, I may have one more thing you can try.

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
401 Posts
My o
It looks like the DRL LEDs are capable of changing color - they're white in DRL mode but they turn amber when you use your turn signals. Is there a way to force DRLs to be amber? When you used your turn signal the amber LEDs would blink like normal but instead of returning to white after the turn, they'd remain a solid amber.

View attachment 28361

I've always liked how much Tundra/Tacoma and Telluride amber DRLs stand out on the road.
I like the idea of this post. The only issue I can see is that our amber LEDs are spaces within the white LEDs, this means that the entire strip that is usually white isn't amber when switchbacked, only like 75% of the whole strip is lit amber.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My o

I like the idea of this post. The only issue I can see is that our amber LEDs are spaces within the white LEDs, this means that the entire strip that is usually white isn't amber when switchbacked, only like 75% of the whole strip is lit amber.
I noticed that earlier this morning and it's turned me off the idea a bit. I might still try it and see what it looks like, we'll see.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm strongly considering trying this out, just for the hell of it. Did you ever get around to trying this out @LeVeL? If so, how did it look?
I didn't try it, sorry. The fact that the amber strip is significantly shorter than the regular DRL "eyebrow" turned me off of this idea. But if you try it, definitely let us know how it looks!

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
401 Posts
I didn't try it, sorry. The fact that the amber strip is significantly shorter than the regular DRL "eyebrow" turned me off of this idea. But if you try it, definitely let us know how it looks!
Definitely wish Ford had used a more dense multicolor LED strip instead of this. Saving money I guess.

I would happily buy a headlamp with the DRL modified but I'm sure it would be expensive.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
I haven't tried this on mine (just no interest to), but if you want, try this:

DRLType = TurnLamp: 726-50-01 08xx

My default was 10xx

Make a backup (as always) first! Let us know if this worked. If not, I may have one more thing you can try.
Been thinking about this again and realize that even if we can't have the strip be amber all the time, I would 100% prefer the white DRL remaining on while the turn signal is active. Should be possible since the amber LEDs appear to be separate from the white ones.

A bit like the new Explorer, which on certain trims doesn't turn off the DRL to activate the Amber turn signal.
Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Do you know of a way to do this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
There's a REASON for the different colors when the lamp is a signal. When Audi first made lamps that simply flashed, the feds objected, saying that there wasn't enough difference in appearance between the two functions. So there's a FEDERAL standard that requires more than simply flashing the same color as the DRL. That's why they change colors when used as a signal.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
There's a REASON for the different colors when the lamp is a signal. When Audi first made lamps that simply flashed, the feds objected, saying that there wasn't enough difference in appearance between the two functions. So there's a FEDERAL standard that requires more than simply flashing the same color as the DRL. That's why they change colors when used as a signal.
Oh for sure 100%, but the cops in my area are pretty lax and no safety requirements, so I am pretty good to modify the lighting as long as I am not doing flashing red and blues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts