Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few questions about driving the FFS

1. Do you recommend or not recommend driving in the Sport mode all the time?

2. When using the paddles, do you have to be in the sport mode? If so, what
gear does it start out in and how many gears can you shift it into?

3. When using the paddles can you tell what gear you are in?

4. Do you shift out of the sport mode by just pushing the sport button again?

I guess thats enough questions for now.

Appreciate the feedback..

:)

·
Registered
868 Posts
Hit sport then click one of the paddles to activate them. From there it will hold the gear you are in, unless you hit redline or it will downshift accordingly as you slow down to a stop. If and when you do stop, it will still be in paddle mode, so your 1st gear will hold til redline unless you flip the + paddle. If you've had enough of "paddle mode", you can hold the "+" paddle down until you see the gear indicator in the RPM digital cluster disappear. You will then be returned to sport mode without the paddles. You can also push the S button again to enter normal drive mode and that will also take you out of paddle mode as Dave said above.

·
Registered
189 Posts
A few questions about driving the FFS

1. Do you recommend or not recommend driving in the Sport mode all the time? - I wouod think Sport mode will lower your MPG and could be less than optimal in stop and go traffice, hence regular mode might be the way to go.

2. When using the paddles, do you have to be in the sport mode? If so, what
gear does it start out in and how many gears can you shift it into? - I have used the paddles in both normal and sport mode, they work either way.

3. When using the paddles can you tell what gear you are in? - I have the RPM gauge set in the left LCD scree and whenever you use the paddles, it will show you the gear you have shifteed into. If in normal drving mode and do not continue to shoft with the paddles, the car will resume full auto mode and the gear number will disappear. In sport mode it holds and shows you the gear you are in until either you or the car shifts up or down. The digital RPM gauge will show the gear you are in continuously until you turn off sport mode.

4. Do you shift out of the sport mode by just pushing the sport button again? - That is the only way I know how to enter\exit sport mode.

I guess that's enough questions for now.

Appreciate the feedback..

:) See answers above

·
Registered
215 Posts
One clarification: In Sport mode, it does not always wait until you hit the redline to shift (I just tested this out a few minutes ago to be sure.) It's certainly a more aggressive shifting program than normal drive mode, but if you just loaf along it will shift at reasonable points so you're not driving around town at redline in first gear, etc. Even at WOT, I noticed that it seemed to shift a bit before redline a few times, which makes sense considering the dyno data posted in another thread showed that shifting after 5000rpm seems to have no benefit.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Excellent thread. Driving a manual now but wanting an automatic; I'm picky about these details. Glad you were able to put it into words.

This is also some stuff you can't get a feel for on a test drive.

·
Registered
624 Posts
+1 for what ike said.
One thing to add is that you can "sort of" use the paddles while still in D. It's very limited and will revert back to normal automatic mode shortly. I think the purpose of this is to allow you to tell the car to downshift for situations like hill climbing or something. Seems absolutely pointless to me but technically can be done, I've done it myself.
If you are looking the total control of a manual trans. you will be disappointed. I do feel it has it's uses, but Sport mode works best for me when spirited driving is desired. Also note that if planning to tune, transmission characteristics will change.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Even at WOT, I noticed that it seemed to shift a bit before redline a few times, which makes sense considering the dyno data posted in another thread showed that shifting after 5000rpm seems to have no benefit.
I agree with this to a point, but now feel this is highly dependent on the tune.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yeah, sorry OP(TomS), didn't mean to get off your topic. As far as question 1, Sport mode changes the driving characteristics as has been noted all over forum/press. I simply would recommend using whichever mode suits your driving. There is no negative impact on the car if drivin solely in Sport mode except possibly gas mileage. But that would probably be due to the position of your right foot. I've now got about 3500 miles on my Sport and still use both modes. I find the flexibility of the car to suit my mood a plus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts