Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to the Fusion Sport community! Just picked up a 2018 with 33k miles! Curious if anyone else notices a thud when hitting a bump on the rear drivers side? I don’t hear it as loudly on the passenger side which is why I’m asking. Super happy with the car! Just curious if this may be a common noise or if there’s something specific to look into? PFA

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
New to the Fusion Sport community! Just picked up a 2018 with 33k miles! Curious if anyone else notices a thud when hitting a bump on the rear drivers side? I don’t hear it as loudly on the passenger side which is why I’m asking. Super happy with the car! Just curious if this may be a common noise or if there’s something specific to look into? PFA View attachment 28293
Nice ride @7shark70 ! Great choice, from a fellow 18 owner. :cool:

On the clunk, not sure there but maybe something needs tightened on the suspension I'm thinking. Might want to lift it up and get a look underneath.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Engineer i jacked it up and took a look at the left rear. Upper and lower strut bolt were tight, sway bar end link was tight and all the bushing looked really good. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this or maybe I’m just louder to the noise of the tire smacking the road haha. I’ll take a video next time I am out help everyone get a better idea of the noise I’m hearing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
New to the Fusion Sport community! Just picked up a 2018 with 33k miles! Curious if anyone else notices a thud when hitting a bump on the rear drivers side? I don’t hear it as loudly on the passenger side which is why I’m asking. Super happy with the car! Just curious if this may be a common noise or if there’s something specific to look into? PFA View attachment 28293
I’ve has this exact same issue, I had a 2017 FFS and it did this all the time and just got worse even over uneven payment like transitioning over it. It would pop a lot. I’ve had that car in the dealer 14 times for not only that issue but other issues as well. They never could figure out that noise. So I’m guessing it was normal. I wish you luck!! I loved the car so much but the previous owner wrecked it twice which is probably why I was having nothing but issues since day one

·
Registered
754 Posts
I did have a right rear electronic shock fail and it made a noise like that. But it lasted more than 3x miles than you have accumulated. Might want to check it for fluid leakage, but unfortunately you’ll have to pull it to remove the dust cover. If you diy be sure you have some blue LocTite for the mount bolts when you reinstall. Good luck!

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Hey is that Ford badge on the back blacked out? I wonder if you can find any other mods if you start looking. You might have gotten some upgrades. :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ArthurUSCG sway bar endlinks are in good condition and tight… I was curious if anyone knew of a TSB fix or a common issue.. I guess it’s not all to common… since everything seems mechanically okay I think I’ll try dynamatting the trunk to quiet up the noise a bit. I appreciate the tips and advise from everyone!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Shawnski that may be it! I’ll have to wait till later this month to pull it back apart but I’ve been assuming it’s the strut. I’ve had sway bar bushing and endlinks go bad on other vehicles and it never sounded like this. Hopefully the electronic shocks don’t set me back too far $$$ haha

·
Registered
894 Posts
@ArthurUSCG sway bar endlinks are in good condition and tight… I was curious if anyone knew of a TSB fix or a common issue.. I guess it’s not all to common… since everything seems mechanically okay I think I’ll try dynamatting the trunk to quiet up the noise a bit. I appreciate the tips and advise from everyone!
I've dealt with rear suspension clunks, the sway bar links might not move using your hands, but there is just enough slop in the LCA and sway bar holes to drive you nuts. Also, to check the rear sway bar and bushings, it MUST be done at ride height, when you jack the car up and unload the suspension, it will put slight tension on the bar and rotate it to to a new position on the bushings.

Also, is the rear bar black or silver? If it is silver, then it has the stiffer Steeda rear bar and it requires higher torque to keep the links from moving around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Engineer found a steeda intake so far! Last owner also blacked out all of the chrome and vinyl wrapped the roof! Going to be ceramic coating her later this month!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've dealt with rear suspension clunks, the sway bar links might not move using your hands, but there is just enough slop in the LCA and sway bar holes to drive you nuts. Also, to check the rear sway bar and bushings, it MUST be done at ride height, when you jack the car up and unload the suspension, it will put slight tension on the bar and rotate it to to a new position on the bushings.

Also, is the rear bar black or silver? If it is silver, then it has the stiffer Steeda rear bar and it requires higher torque to keep the links from moving around.
Thank you for the tip! I’ll be taking pictures again later when I dig into it. I believe they were silver. Maybe re-torquing them to steeda specs will resolve the clunk too

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I can't see the grille in any of the pics so far but you might want to check for a Big Mouth in there, a lot of guys running the Steeda intake throw a Big Mouth in front of it

·
Registered
754 Posts
@Shawnski that may be it! I’ll have to wait till later this month to pull it back apart but I’ve been assuming it’s the strut. I’ve had sway bar bushing and endlinks go bad on other vehicles and it never sounded like this. Hopefully the electronic shocks don’t set me back too far $$$ haha
Well, they were somewhat expensive at ~$240-$280 each, although I think they’re touching $300 these days. Mine failed during the peak of COVID shutdowns and I couldn’t find anyplace that could ship them to me in less than 6-8 weeks. Even the great and all powerful Tasca actually had to cancel my backorder because it exceeded their standard order fulfillment limits. Which was appreciated because it freed me up to look elsewhere, but they were impossible to find and I ended up back at Tasca to reorder them 5 months later!!! They’re unique to our cars, so only bespoke factory parts are available. I hope you don’t have trouble finding them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@ArthurUSCG @Shawnski
I backed the car up onto ramps and used a jack to jack the car slightly to take off a little load and the sway bar and endlinks are tight and don’t show signs of deterioration. I also looked at the shocks and don’t notice any fluid leaking. @Shawnski is the leaking fluid only visible if I remove the upper plastic sleeve from the shock to see if it’s going bad? I included some more pictures for everyone’s viewing pleasure…

·
Registered
754 Posts
Yes, mine was hidden by the plastic cover at first. But by the time I found replacements it had worked it’s way down below that.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Damn things are stupid expensive too, like 400 a piece expensive.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts