Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is the question. Does anyone who have DA package regret spending the extra money on it? Or is there anyone who doesn't have DA package regret not getting it?

I'm 50/50 right now. Just for reference: MSRP $1625

The Driver Assist Package includes:
• Auto High Beams
• BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with cross-traffic alert
• Heated Steering Wheel
• Lane Keeping System
• Rain Sensing Wipers
• SYNC® Connect* (Gas and Hybrid models only)
• 110V Power Outlet** (Gas models only)

I could care less about the Auto High Beams, BLIS, Lane keeping system, rain sensing wipers.

Heated Steering wheel is nice (Live in NY, some days in the winter are unbearably cold where, with a non heated steering wheel, the steering wheel will still be freezing after a 20 minute drive.)

SYNC Connect: Trying to figure out how to look at this. If you divide the price of $1625 by 5 years (of included service for connect). Comes out to just about $27 a month of included service

110V power outlet. Not sure what the rating max watt/amp rating is on this, anyone have an idea?

I still find it hard to justify Sync Connect and Heating Steering Wheel for $1600+.

But what do you guys think? And how about the other features that are included, Anyone find them useful?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have lane keep assist, ACC and BLIS. its called a steering wheel, pedals and mirrors. they even come with the little cheater bubble mirrors that is the exact same thing as blis...

As a north-east ohioan, I sympathize with the want of the heated wheel. it pisses me off every day that the heated steering wheel wasn't a stand-alone option like the cooled seats.

In my Opinion, it just wasn't worth it when all I actually wanted was the wheel...

a pair of comfortable touch-sensitive gloves was considerably cheaper, and works just as well

my $.02

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't have it and most of those features don't really interest me all that much (so no regrets). They seem rather pointless in what I'd consider a drivers/enthusiasts car. Not bad to have by any means... just unnecessary.

Being from the rust belt, however, I do wish I had a heated steering wheel. I wasn't going to pay that much for it though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Auto High Beams works flawlessly and it's great to just not stress about it at night... you can focus on the road and just forget about it. It really shut them Off and On at the perfect timing.

Rain Sensing wipers also works great!

Blind spot takes time to get used to but works really well

Heated steering wheel (i live in quebec) This is one of the greatest thing on earth if like me you got cold hands! Worth 500$ alone!

Lane keeping is handy if you are eating something... i guess...

All in all... totally worth

·
Registered
215 Posts
Here's my 2¢:

• Auto High Beams: I never use them since they seemed to flash on and off too much the first time I tried them. Several other people in this forum swear by them, so I'll give them another try, but so far, meh.

• BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with cross-traffic alert: Not a must by any means, but it is handy. There have been a couple of times that these systems have warned me before I actually saw the oncoming vehicle.

• Heated Steering Wheel: Awesome for cold climates. There are people that love the heated steering wheel, and people that have never tried it, period.

• Lane Keeping System: I find this incredibly annoying and turned mine off. I suppose it would be handy on a long trip if you are feeling like you might fall asleep, but in that case it's probably a better idea not to drive.

• Rain Sensing Wipers: These work fine, but I can live without them.

• SYNC® Connect* (Gas and Hybrid models only): I'm a fan of this and haven't had any issues with it thus far.

• 110V Power Outlet** (Gas models only) I haven't used this, but I'm glad it's there, kind of like the tow package I got on my GMC Acadia that I ended up never using.

Overall I don't regret spending the money, but I will admit that it's arguable whether or not the package is worth it as a whole. I was too impatient to order a car so I bought one with a few things I would not have ordered. I also have park assist which I have yet to use, and may never.

·
Registered
102 Posts
When I was searching local dealers for my car I was specifically looking for ones that DIDN’T have the drivers aid package because like you I didn’t think it was worth 1600 dollars.
But I did want NAV, cooled seats, Sync system and the moonroof.
All of the local cars that had those options in the exterior colors I wanted had the drivers aid package too….so I got one.

I don’t like the lane keep system. I drive the PA turnpike every work day and you have to nose the car to the left and right to see if it’s safe to pass the cars/big-rigs that dwell in the passing lane forever.
If I do this too often the car suggests that I pull over and get some coffee. I’m not kidding, there’s actually a cup of coffee that comes up in the dash display.
After trying it for a few days I’ve turned it OFF.

I’ve been driving for 30+ years and I never felt the need for heated steering wheel, auto high-beams or auto wipers, but I must admit that they are pretty cool tech.
The auto high beam system works GREAT unless it is raining hard then it falses a lot.
The auto wipers are great when it’s lightly raining because they adjust the wipe delay time as needed.
I admit that I’ve been using the heated wheel every day for the last week.

The BLISS system works pretty good, but I don’t have a habit of changing lanes without looking over my shoulders first so this has limited value to me.
I got about 4K off my car and an above average trade value on my Hyundai so I’m OK with what I got the car for.
If I could have gotten the same deal minus another 1600, I would be happier. But you can always deal better on cars that are heavily optioned.

Shawn S

·
Registered
34 Posts
Oh yeah forgot about the Sync connect! it's a great feature! Specially handy for cold climates when you want your car warm. Ex: You are at the mall, it's -1000 outside... you are about to leave soon... BOOM remote start from anywhere you are in the mall. + you can tell your car to start the heated seats & Wheel so...

Yeah of course you can live without all of those things but you know...

Once you get used to it... hard to go back

·
Registered
106 Posts
The only thing i don't like about this package is the lane departure. I can see it being useful in long trips but that's about it.

The rest of the features are really handy and work really great. Especially the Connect. I park my car at a "Park and Ride", so when i'm on the bus on my way back, i start it 15 minutes before i get there.. JUST AWESOME

Auto high beams work flawlessly. For me anyways.
Rain sensing wipers work really well. They adjust based on how much it rains.
Heated steering, well i live in Canada, need i say more? ;)

This package is one of these things where, yes you can live without it, but once you have it, it's really hard to go without it..

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
The only thing in this package that I REALLY wanted was the heated steering wheel. The rest of it is handled by just being a good competent driver. Now that doesn't mean that some of it wouldn't be nice, but not worth the cost in my opinion, but to each their own.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I didn't buy the DAP because most features seemed like distracting items or things I've driven without for years.

Granted you don't know you are missing out on something until you try it...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I only got the driver's assist package because it was required for adaptive cruise control, and that alone almost made it worth it.

Heated steering wheel ... been using it almost everyday since November.

BLIS ... I've had a 2012 Focus for the last 5 years and 2011 Mustang for the last 6 and have never gotten used to the little blind-spot mirrors. I immediately got used to looking for the yellow dot in the mirrors on the Fusion.

cross-traffic ... it beeped at me once, but I already knew a car was coming because I was looking.

lane-assist ... set it to assist-only and it makes freeway driving a breeze. Don't trust it to keep you in the lane when not paying attention, but it makes keeping it in a lane on a long drive a lot easier. I drive 500 miles one way to visit friends a few times a year. In my Focus I'd be worn out and sore when I got there. In my Mustang I'd be worn out. In the Fusion I'm not worn out or sore after 7 hours of freeway. I don't like the assist on curvy roads, but it shuts off easy enough with the button on the top of the turn signal arm.

rain sensing wipers have been like auto-headlamps for me ... it's annoying to get in my truck or Mustang and have to turn wipers on/adjust them.

auto-highbeams ... have had them disabled more than enabled. First experience was behind a cop on a twisty road and between the corners and oncoming traffic it seemed like I was just constantly flashing high beams. Drove in heavy snow as well and had to disable them since they kept turning on and blinding me.

sync connect ... Pretty sure I've started the car with my phone more than with the keyfob. Also was able to keep tabs on my girlfriend's location when she borrowed it to go shopping. Otherwise it sends me lots of alerts about not shutting the parking brake off.

adaptive cruise ... everything I expected and more.

Reactions: GorgonFusionSport17

·
Registered
76 Posts
Auto High Beams: Have it turned off. I find the LED headlights to be fantastic on low. As a general rule I do not use high beams unless I am on the back mountain roads at night in areas where deer and elk may be.

BLIS with cross-traffic alert: Love it. This car does have a pretty bad blind spot. The cross traffic alert part has been activated once since I have had it and was "very" useful. Another thing this does is removed the stupid little bubble mirrors like the '13 titanium I had. They were obnoxious in my opinion.

Heated Steering Wheel: Gets used allot in the winter. Love it.

Lane Keeping System: I have used this some. It is sometimes a little too sensitive especially when two lanes merge. My wife has names the car Passi (for passive aggressive) due to this system. This is the easiest system to turn on/off with a button on the end of the turn signal lever. Glad I have it.

Rain Sensing Wipers: They seem to work well in rain but I just figured out today that they do not work so well in the snow when dark.

SYNC Connect: If you want the remote access via the ford pass app, you will need this.

110V Power Outlet: I have not used this yet but it will get used at some point. Glad I have the option.

Glad I spent the money for the package, I would have spent the money just to get the BLIS if I had to.
In my opinion, the package of functionality you get for the price is a bargain.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Not sure about the DAPackage but it was pretty cold this morning. But I SOOO regret not getting the ACC. Wish I had it and whatever I get next will. I didn't order mine or I would of got it and told them to keep the moonroof. Still haven't opened it in 4 months now. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My car doesn't have the DAP. The only feature I wouldn't mind having from it is the BLIS. It works great on my Mustang, but considering this is mainly a commuter car (and, ironically, the Mustang is the highway car since it gets better MPGs), I couldn't justify the extra $30/mo on my lease. That being said, my last Fusion didn't have the DAP either, and I never traded paint with anyone, so...

·
Super Moderator
1,586 Posts
I'm with many of you - I wanted the heated steering wheel but didn't feel it was worth getting the DAP for it. We have all this stuff in our Escape, and it drive me nuts.

My opinion:
- I'd rather have the blind-spot mirrors rather than a little light with BLIS. If they kept the little mirrors this wouldn't matter to me.
- Lane assist is good for long trips, but I feel many people would get used to it and expect the car to pay attention so you can text or something.
- Rain-Sensing wipers - these drive me nuts, too. Many times, it takes them a second to react, and I find that I have to constantly adjust them.
- Along with BLIS: the cross-traffic alert is great, I really with I had this... except for when I take the Escape to a drive-through at Dunkin. Pull up to the window to get my coffee, the car think's I'm about to hit something, so there is a constant or fast-paced beep. Same when I pull into my garage. My favorite feature is also the most annoying.
-SYNC Connect: Like most others, I feel like I'd use it twice and stop caring. Especially with all this car hacking going on (I work in I.T., so I know about technology - also Ford has been safe with this, but still...), it just makes me more comfortable to not have this. It would be cool, but I feel it's nothing major.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I don't have it and I am doing just fine without it. Wife wanted the blind spot but I was like sorry not for $1600.. The bubble mirrors work just great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine doesn't have the DP package either. I would like to add the heated steering wheel if possible.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I can live without the heated steering wheel, but I think autonomous braking, especially with pedestrian detection, is THE new technology to keep me and the animals/people on the side of the road in dark country nights safer. I put 35k miles a year on my vehicles and at least 1/2 of that is after dark on country roads. My family, overall, has hit 6 or 7 deer (lost count) in the last 20 years. Damage from dents to a complete right off. If it'll alert me or start the braking process and prevent me walking home one more time, I'm all for it!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts