Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been searching the internet high and low to somehow add a dual mode exhaust system to the fusion sport, without having an on and off approach (like an electric cutout). The Corvettes have had this for ages now (and sounds/works great IMO) and more recently, it's an option for the Camaro and is going to be a standard feature in the new Hemi-equipped 2017 Challengers/Chargers.

For anyone unaware of what it does, it uses a valve (either pneumatic or electronic) in the muffler to separate two exhaust paths. At idle and under low/moderate load, it only lets exhaust out the quieter exhaust path... when more load/pressure is applied, the valve starts to open and lets the exhaust gas through the more aggressive path. So in turn, it gives you the best of both worlds... nice and quiet when you want (And NO drone) and an aggressive note when you really step on it. I think a setup like this is more appropriate for a car like the fusion that really benefits (IMO) from being a sleeper. I also don't want to annoy all my neighbors lol

So with that, I've been trying to figure out if it was possible to somehow adapt the mufflers from a Z06 or Camaro to our system, and then just add resonators/mufflers in line to change the sound.

That's when I saw that Ford actually makes a dual mode system for the Cobras and they sell a pair of 2.5" in/out mufflers separate. I will absolutely be using these come spring, but figured I'd let anyone else know that may be interested in trying a setup like this. Anyway, I will update this thread when I get around to getting something fabbed up.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-5230-BP2

·
Registered
296 Posts
So basically this muffler in particular changes the path of exhaust flow just by pressure. No need for outside electrical to open the valve. Right.

Reactions: qwerty3089

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So basically this muffler in particular changes the path of exhaust flow just by pressure. No need for outside electrical to open the valve. Right.
Yup. It's actuated on back pressure alone.

However, here is a mustang guy that went a step further and made himself a custom setup similar to how the factory GM systems works (using a vacuum line from the engine to actuate the system). It sounds amazing.

My Custom Dual Mode, Quad Exhaust! - 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, GT350, GT500, Mach 1, Ecoboost) - Mustang6G.com

I'm convinced that this is the kind of system this car desperately needs. Just slightly toned down. Hint hint to any aftermarket shops/vendors looking for ideas

·
Registered
740 Posts
The stock muffler has a valve/flap in it already.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stock muffler has a valve/flap in it already.
I wasn't aware of that?

Regardless... it's nowhere near aggressive enough lol The stock system sounds horrible (you can't hear it at all). Maybe it'd be worth opening the stock muffler up and attempting to modify that. Then just have a shop weld it back together.

I'm sure it would be a lot more cost effective

·
Registered
740 Posts
Not worth the hassle. And it's huge and weighs a ton.

Reactions: qwerty3089

·
Registered
491 Posts
That mustang wasn't bad until he put the H pipe in there. Once he did that sounded like there was too much vibration in the pipes.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So upon further research, the Dynomax VT muffler also uses this same kind of technology for anyone that wants to know. Although from exhaust clips I've heard (from various engine configurations), I wasn't terribly impressed.

Sounds a little too loud at idle and sort of raspy/shitty under load. video can be deceiving though

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts