Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've had an obscenely annoying rattle/squeak in my car that I've been trying to track down and just today found it!! There is a plastic sleeve on my passengers side seatbelt, right below the buckle, that I can't for the life of me figure out what it's supposed to do?

The drivers side seatbelt doesn't have it and seems rather pointless. It's not attached to the belt strap at all and is free to slide with the actual buckle mechanism along the strap. Does anyone else have this? I'm wondering if it's something that was supposed to be removed prior to delivery or something and looks fairly easy to remove with a few paper clips, but obviously don't want to remove it if it has some sort of safety function or something. It's the lower plastic piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looks like the piece that stops the buckle from sliding all the way down the belt keeping the buckle easy to find and reach.

Reactions: ike

·
Super Moderator
1,523 Posts
That's supposed to be there - it's on my Sport, my '16 Escape, and my dad's '15 Fusion as well. But honestly I have no clue what it does, either, since it does slide all the way down and doesn't keep the belt buckle up high.

How as it rattling? Just hitting the B-pillar plastic?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like the piece that stops the buckle from sliding all the way down the belt keeping the buckle easy to find and reach.
That was my thought as well, but why only have it on one side? Do you have it on both the drivers and passengers side?

That's supposed to be there - it's on my Sport, my '16 Escape, and my dad's '15 Fusion as well. But honestly I have no clue what it does, either, since it does slide all the way down and doesn't keep the belt buckle up high.

How as it rattling? Just hitting the B-pillar plastic?
Is it on both the drivers and passengers side of your cars?

It's rattling from the buckle vibrating against it, but it's also making a super annoying squeaking noise when the slightest amount of pressure is applied. I actually thought it was my seat making that noise, so I'm pretty ecstatic to kill two birds[noises] with one stone.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Looking through the manual this morning and found this.
This is in the rear for when the seats are folded down but it appears to be the same
clip.
I believe it's to keep the buckle in a comfortable location so when the occupant attempts to
latch the seat belt they don't have to reach to the floor area to find the buckle.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,523 Posts
That was my thought as well, but why only have it on one side? Do you have it on both the drivers and passengers side? Is it on both the drivers and passengers side of your cars?
Nope, I only have it on the passenger's side in my Sport.

Looking through the manual this morning and found this.
This is in the rear for when the seats are folded down but it appears to be the same
clip.
I believe it's to keep the buckle in a comfortable location so when the occupant attempts to
latch the seat belt they don't have to reach to the floor area to find the buckle.
The piece that WaterISWet is asking about moves all the way down to the floor and doesn't hold the seat belt up buckle. If that's its purpose, it's a waste.
The back seat doesn't have this, what you found in the manual is different in the back seat, and is built into the car's side panels.

Reactions: WaterISWet

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that settles it! It's getting removed lol (and regaining some of my sanity)

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's to stop the buckle from sliding too far down.........that plastic piece SHOULD NOT be able to move. It should be stuck in one spot, like it is in just about every new car i have owned.....
If it's sliding around, i would see if i can adjust it where it stops moving.
Well that settles it! It's getting removed lol (and regaining some of my sanity)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wait a minute......i just went and looked at that thing.......it's NOT for the buckle.......hmmmmm.........maybe for a carseat????? Im intrigued!!! I want to know now!

It's to stop the buckle from sliding too far down.........that plastic piece SHOULD NOT be able to move. It should be stuck in one spot, like it is in just about every new car i have owned.....

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I looked at mine today, and on the front passenger seat belt, this piece is there. It does slide, but should not slide freely, you need to push it to slide. And it will keep the buckle up at the shoulder height to allow the passenger to more easily get it to buckle up.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I got it!!! I think those are seatbelt tension adjusters. some clip on the top part of the seatbelt where it retracts on the b-pillar. To take stress off of your shoulder...........others clip in your lap against both parts of the belt to do the same thing.....i'm pretty sure that's what it is.....i think.............. :confused:

So I've had an obscenely annoying rattle/squeak in my car that I've been trying to track down and just today found it!! There is a plastic sleeve on my passengers side seatbelt, right below the buckle, that I can't for the life of me figure out what it's supposed to do?

The drivers side seatbelt doesn't have it and seems rather pointless. It's not attached to the belt strap at all and is free to slide with the actual buckle mechanism along the strap. Does anyone else have this? I'm wondering if it's something that was supposed to be removed prior to delivery or something and looks fairly easy to remove with a few paper clips, but obviously don't want to remove it if it has some sort of safety function or something. It's the lower plastic piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
I looked at mine today, and on the front passenger seat belt, this piece is there. It does slide, but should not slide freely, you need to push it to slide. And it will keep the buckle up at the shoulder height to allow the passenger to more easily get it to buckle up.
^ This ^

I double checked my car and it seems to slide, but not on its own. It seems to hold the buckle and a good height to easily grab it. I would just stop by the dealership and ask about it. It should be something they can replace easily.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts