Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone wired up a radar detector by tapping off the wiring harness from the overhead console yet? I have a V1 that I will be installing once I take delivery of my Sport and wanted to know which wires to use.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I usually run mine down the pillar to the fuse panel and use a fuse tap on an 12v ignition on source.

·
Registered
94 Posts
hopefully one here is breaking any clips or the cardboard backing they mount on when doing this, a simple job can turn costly really quick.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Some of us live in places where no one uses Waze. My V1 has saved me from 4 or 5 tickets where there's no chance Waze would have.

Reactions: Donjohnk

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Do radar detectors still even work? Why not just use WAZE, much more accurate.
they still work, but now with instant on technology in radars once that detector goes off they already have you. Its not like years ago when they had to leave it on or leave it off so you could get the signal a mile down the road and know to slow down.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the link. I will be using the Mirror Tap method, just wanted to know if someone else has done so and which connector/wire were used for ignition on/off; otherwise, I can post my install if I'm the first one...

·
Registered
624 Posts
Thanks for the link. I will be using the Mirror Tap method, just wanted to know if someone else has done so and which connector/wire were used for ignition on/off; otherwise, I can post my install if I'm the first one...
Cool, I'd be interested in that.

·
Registered
694 Posts

Sorry to bump a 2 year old thread, I also would like to wire in my R3 to the mirror. Anyone with wiring diagram or pictures/video of the process? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
they still work, but now with instant on technology in radars once that detector goes off they already have you. Its not like years ago when they had to leave it on or leave it off so you could get the signal a mile down the road and know to slow down.
Since very few still use radar detectors, and cops are human and lazy just like the rest of us,
they now drive around with the radar on pretty much all the time, at least in central/northern jersey.
Once ina while they try to get sneeky with instant on, but they always pick the exact same spot, so you know to
watch out for those spots. Luckily for those who actually drive and pay attention, the rest of the drivers
are so inattentive and clueless, cops don't have to work too hard to get ticket quotas.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Since very few still use radar detectors, and cops are human and lazy just like the rest of us,
they now drive around with the radar on pretty much all the time, at least in central/northern jersey.
Once ina while they try to get sneeky with instant on, but they always pick the exact same spot, so you know to
watch out for those spots. Luckily for those who actually drive and pay attention, the rest of the drivers
are so inattentive and clueless, cops don't have to work too hard to get ticket quotas.
Here in my area, they tend to not run radar at all, but will occasionally hit the instant on. Very rarely do I have one just driving with it on or parked with it on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone done the mirror mount yet? I have purchased a Blendmount and want to wire it to the mirror and was wondering if anyone knows which is power and which is negative. And yes, they still use radar here in Georgia. A lot! I have Waze and that isn't always accurate and with the new cell phone law, you cant touch your phone while driving. Can't even have it on your lap.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Has anyone done the mirror mount yet? I have purchased a Blendmount and want to wire it to the mirror and was wondering if anyone knows which is power and which is negative. And yes, they still use radar here in Georgia. A lot! I have Waze and that isn't always accurate and with the new cell phone law, you cant touch your phone while driving. Can't even have it on your lap.
I just hardwired into the same fuse that my Blackvue camera is wired into. It is switched power.

Which radar do you have?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Uniden R3. I have the Blendmount that attaches to the mirror. And yes, it has saved me several times so it has already paid for itself for the tickets that i didn't get.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mirror tap

Has anyone done the mirror tap on a 2017? I'll be trying it in the next couple of days and want to know which is the power/ground wires in back of mirtor

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Driving around the country, I think I only picked up legit police K-band one time in a podunk town area. Everyone was running Ka band, mainly 34.7 or 35.5 with some 33.8

The blind spot monitoring and collision detection systems on modern cars run on K-band. The R3 and R7 are probably the best detectors on the market now and even they have issues with filtering out these K-band signals sometimes.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Blue/purple top left of harness is accessory power and top right black is ground. Add a 2amp fuse in line of power and your set for radar/dash cam. That's just silly to run all the way to fuse when its a simple 6" clean install.😏

1 - 20 of 20 Posts