Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For many many months I have had the feeling my dynamic suspension wasn't as smooth as it once was, but have been thinking it was just me (still could be) getting used to it.
But one thing I know forsur is that when I pressed the Sport button I could feel the difference when going over bad roads or having to make a long turn at freeway speeds. And I can no longer tell the difference. My thought it that it stopped working when I added the MKZ cluster, and added the Suspension settings. I think something happened to where the suspension may always be in Sport mode, even though I had it set to comfort or normal.
Is there something I can check for using Forscan to confirm what mode the suspension is really when before and after pressing the Sport button?
Also, anyone with the MKZ cluster on a 19 Sport, can you tell me what settings you have? I am curious if I have one setting off and it would be an easy fix.
Please share any thoughts/ideas. I will share the current settings once I am able to pull them off the car. Hopefully later tonight.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
2019 > 2018 > 2017 :)
259 Posts
Settings -> Vehicle -> Drive control. I know you said you've looked, but maybe you should double check the settings for both modes to see how they are set. Mine do have an impact for me.

If you tell me where in Forscan to look I'll compare what I have to yours.

Speedometer Automotive design Vehicle Trip computer Odometer

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Hi @BlueDust ,

I'm with @Vidmo on this. I think you should double check your settings. If, for instance, both modes are in Sport, you won't feel a difference.

Also, remember the Vehicle Dynamics Module ties the steering mode to the suspension mode, so watch out for that as well.

I think you can breathe a little easier though that it started when you replaced the IPC. That tells me it's electronic, and almost certainly a settings issue either in as-built data or in the IPC settings. So let that give you some comfort.

Maybe try setting your normal drive mode to comfort for the most pronounced change, and don't adjust steering after that. I know on mine it's a very noticeable change, now that I'm running that MKZ IPC.

If you were having a physical problem with the CCD hardware itself, I would also expect DTCs off the shocks. So you might scan for codes, but the fact you started experiencing this when you changed the IPC tells me it's likely nothing hardware-based.

Anyway I hope this helps!

Reactions: BlueDust

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi @BlueDust ,

I'm with @Vidmo on this. I think you should double check your settings. If, for instance, both modes are in Sport, you won't feel a difference.

Also, remember the Vehicle Dynamics Module ties the steering mode to the suspension mode, so watch out for that as well.

I think you can breathe a little easier though that it started when you replaced the IPC. That tells me it's electronic, and almost certainly a settings issue either in as-built data or in the IPC settings. So let that give you some comfort.

Maybe try setting your normal drive mode to comfort for the most pronounced change, and don't adjust steering after that. I know on mine it's a very noticeable change, now that I'm running that MKZ IPC.

If you were having a physical problem with the CCD hardware itself, I would also expect DTCs off the shocks. So you might scan for codes, but the fact you started experiencing this when you changed the IPC tells me it's likely nothing hardware-based.

Anyway I hope this helps!
Sorry... Still have to pull off the config... I have a backup config but do not remember if I made changes after that backup was created.
I have changed the cluster settings many times to see if I can tell the difference. So far no luck.
Yes, also believe it's probably a setting.
I used to leave it in comfort mode all the time for best ride but after a while noticed I couldn't tell the difference. Then a few weeks ago put it in normal mode all the time and still no changes.
When it's in sport mode the screen turns red, normal nothing, and comfort mode blue as in the pictures below.
Vehicle Automotive design Camera accessory Personal luxury car Cameras & optics
Vehicle Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Steering part
Car Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Steering part
Vehicle Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Personal luxury car

·
Registered
723 Posts
Sorry... Still have to pull off the config... I have a backup config but do not remember if I made changes after that backup was created.
I have changed the cluster settings many times to see if I can tell the difference. So far no luck.
Yes, also believe it's probably a setting.
I used to leave it in comfort mode all the time for best ride but after a while noticed I couldn't tell the difference. Then a few weeks ago put it in normal mode all the time and still no changes.
When it's in sport mode the screen turns red, normal nothing, and comfort mode blue as in the pictures below.
Hi BD. The color changes (Normal/No color highlight, Comfort/Blue highlight, Sport/ Red highlight) are correct. So the settings are registering as far as that goes.

However, that does not positively/definitively tell us if the shocks/suspension/steering is also properly adjusting though. I would guess it is, but that is just a blind Internet guess.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Hey @BlueDust just a thought here (and I have no inside knowledge to know whether this is even something that could be happening) but what firmware version are you running on your IPC?

I ask because it sounded like the problem occurred right when you upgraded the IPC. From your last post I'm not sure about that (it sounded like it could have been shortly after you upgraded the IPC). But if the problem occurred right when you upgraded you IPC, and you've checked the settings, and you don't have DTCs, I might wonder whether the firmware version you're running is commanding CCD pressure levels in a way/at a rate different than expected by the physical hardware. Or more to the point, not calibrated correctly for the physical CCD hardware.

I know in my car I'm running the 18 firmware. I flashed that version myelf because the 2019/2020 firmware the MKZ had when I received it didn't support speed limit sign displays on the IPC. So I re-flashed it with the 18 firmware. But it's possible there was some CCD pressure command change in 19 or so, and the firmware needs to do something slightly different, or the calibrated levels are different. Anyhow just something to consider, and I'd only look at that once you definitively rule everything else out. But if you get to that point, maybe try flashing the 18 firmware onto the IPC module.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Do you have a stretch of road where you can test? I know there is a particular part of a road with a series of soft bumps. in Comfort mode, it is an undulating sensation with multiple slight bounces before the car stabilizes. In Sport mode, it basically hits the bumps and stabilizes immediately after. I don't believe the CCD changes the compression rate, just the rebound.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've found that a parking lot with speed bumps is the fastest and easiest way to check the Vehicle Dynamics System. At times I couldn't tell if my shocks were changing or not when in Sports Mode.

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just to start, using ForScan, this is what I have for block 10. I don't know what settings it impacts. Any help with understand it would be helpful. Looking at block 10 1st because it is the only difference between my back files.

720-10-1
1B02-0001-0056
720-10-2
0000-0039

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I've found that a parking lot with speed bumps is the fastest and easiest way to check the Vehicle Dynamics System. At times I couldn't tell if my shocks were changing or not when in Sports Mode.
Yeah... Have been playing with crappy roads as much as possible (most crap roads around me have been closed for repair). No luck always feels the same. When I first got the car, it would feel like it glides over some bumps. Now it feels like I hit everything.

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been responding from my phone all day. Sharing more now. Just pulled from my car using Forscan.
Please review let me know what you see is different from yours and if you know, what that difference does. As previously mentioned, I only see Block 10 changing within my backup files.
Thanks for the help.

;Block 1
720G1G1CF26166C7414
720G1G20E1F58AF
;Block 2
720G2G17FE43C351E1C
720G2G20A80FCB1
;Block 3
720G3G1E002AA0000B7
720G3G2880C28E8
;Block 4
720G4G1041001814103
720G4G255530ADF
;Block 5
720G5G1D8380000003D
720G5G200001543
;Block 6
720G6G10000067600AA
720G6G20000002F
;Block 7
720G7G1000100000030
720G7G201000839
;Block 8
720G8G1000000000030
720G8G2000000000031
;Block 9
720G9G12E00008201E2
720G9G2800001B3
;Block 10
720GAG11B0200010056
720GAG200000039

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Now Screenshots from the app.
I don't know why some of these are not enabled, and why others are not that I thought my car has.... For example, Forscan sees the HUD module, but shows its disabled in the IPC. not sure if that means anything or not. I have had the idea just shows all the options and we have to figure out what option is what for our specific car as some of the options appear to have duplicate/very similar names.
Any help would be appreciated. I am looking to help understand how to fix CCD, but if you have any other comments from what else you see, please respond.
Again, Thanks for the help!

Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Software
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Software
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software
Product Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Operating system
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Operating system

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey @BlueDust just a thought here (and I have no inside knowledge to know whether this is even something that could be happening) but what firmware version are you running on your IPC?

I ask because it sounded like the problem occurred right when you upgraded the IPC. From your last post I'm not sure about that (it sounded like it could have been shortly after you upgraded the IPC). But if the problem occurred right when you upgraded you IPC, and you've checked the settings, and you don't have DTCs, I might wonder whether the firmware version you're running is commanding CCD pressure levels in a way/at a rate different than expected by the physical hardware. Or more to the point, not calibrated correctly for the physical CCD hardware.

I know in my car I'm running the 18 firmware. I flashed that version myelf because the 2019/2020 firmware the MKZ had when I received it didn't support speed limit sign displays on the IPC. So I re-flashed it with the 18 firmware. But it's possible there was some CCD pressure command change in 19 or so, and the firmware needs to do something slightly different, or the calibrated levels are different. Anyhow just something to consider, and I'd only look at that once you definitively rule everything else out. But if you get to that point, maybe try flashing the 18 firmware onto the IPC module.
How can you tell what version you have? I only see the part number when I look.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Using ForScan, search for a PID that has some meaning as suspension, CCD, effort, adaptive or similar and see the outputs and if they change when you change the selection in the cluster. For my Edge with Adaptive Steering, I had found a PID for steering effort and it changes between Comfort, Sport and a 3rd one (don't recall what it was exactly). There probably is something similar for the CCD.
Also, note in what module you find it, as it will indicate which module is actually reporting the change in setting.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
How can you tell what version you have? I only see the part number when I look.
Hi @BlueDust !

I think you can get the IPC version from Engineering Mode in the IPC. But the easiest way to tell if you're on a 19/20 version is just to note whether or not you ever see the speed limit signs in your IPC. If you only get them on your NAV screen but not in your IPC, then your IPC is running a 19/20 firmware, which means the speed limit sign support is removed. I do know that the common "Ford Performance" branded firmware on the MKZ clusters is a 19/20 firmware (and doesn't support speed limit signs). So if you can't see those signs on your IPC, you're running 19+.

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi @BlueDust !

I think you can get the IPC version from Engineering Mode in the IPC. But the easiest way to tell if you're on a 19/20 version is just to note whether or not you ever see the speed limit signs in your IPC. If you only get them on your NAV screen but not in your IPC, then your IPC is running a 19/20 firmware, which means the speed limit sign support is removed. I do know that the common "Ford Performance" branded firmware on the MKZ clusters is a 19/20 firmware (and doesn't support speed limit signs). So if you can't see those signs on your IPC, you're running 19+.
Thanks. That's what I thought (regarding the signs) but will try to look in engineering mode to confirm.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Thanks. That's what I thought (regarding the signs) but will try to look in engineering mode to confirm.
If you do figure out you're on 19/20 firmware and want to go down to 17 or 18 (I'm on 18 and it's working really well), I can recommend the OBDLink EX for the flash. You can do it with the OBDLink MX+ (that's actually how I did mine), but it takes like 4-5 hours (seriously, not kidding) because the firmware is so large. So you want that EX (or some other really fast adapter) probably for that, because it's a lot faster.

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you do figure out you're on 19/20 firmware and want to go down to 17 or 18 (I'm on 18 and it's working really well), I can recommend the OBDLink EX for the flash. You can do it with the OBDLink MX+ (that's actually how I did mine), but it takes like 4-5 hours (seriously, not kidding) because the firmware is so large. So you want that EX (or some other really fast adapter) probably for that, because it's a lot faster.
I have the OBDLink EX. I bought it per Roberts romendation when I was having trouble getting the other cable I bought to work. I will try and get the version number off of it today, but do believe it is the newer version.
Thanks.

Using ForScan, search for a PID that has some meaning as suspension, CCD, effort, adaptive or similar and see the outputs and if they change when you change the selection in the cluster. For my Edge with Adaptive Steering, I had found a PID for steering effort and it changes between Comfort, Sport and a 3rd one (don't recall what it was exactly). There probably is something similar for the CCD.
Also, note in what module you find it, as it will indicate which module is actually reporting the change in setting.
I am not very familiar with ForScan, but will play around today and see if I can figure out how to search and view the outputs.
Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@omar302
I looked and wasn't able to find anything for suspenspension. There are 3 options that I found that show when the Sport being is being actively pressed, but that was about it. My biggest problem is that I am using an old laptop where the battery doesn't last more than an hour (never timed it, but assume around 30/45 minutes), and rushed through every option when searching didn't find it. I still need to look to see if there is an option specifically for "steering effort". I looked for steering, but forgot the name you suggested and rushed through the entire list, manually reading each, and testing a few at a time I thought were possible.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts