Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anybody else thinks what I think. It seems to me that the Fusion and Taurus are living fraudulent lives. iirc, the Taurus was the mid size and the Crown vic was the full size. Should the Fusion not be called Taurus and Taurus (which btw is the crown vic's replacement in the police lineup) be called Crown Victoria?

i just think its strange is all.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yes, I think Ford fumbled this one, although "Crown Victoria" is probably a nameplate that needed to be retired if they wanted anyone under 70 to buy a full size Ford. :) The history of the Taurus is pretty sad, with it starting as a genuine leap forward and then being left to languish for years and become a joke; eventually being discontinued for a while. Even when they brought the name back, it was confusing to customers since they were renaming the 500 which had only been out a short time. Now we have another languishing Taurus that might get the axe again; who knows. Bringing in the Fusion and moving the Taurus up to the next size wasn't necessarily a bad idea, but I think it happened haphazardly and still resulted in a neglected Taurus.

Former Ford designer J Mays once said that customers didn't walk away from full size cars, the industry just stopped making interesting ones. To some extent this is still true.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I couldn't be less interested in a full size car, but I would love to have seen the Taurus continue as the mid size sedan it was originally. New one feels too big and floaty. I don't have any real attachment to names though because I care more about what the car does, and by that I mean I don't need a name to continue just because it always has, and I don't want to see a car become something it's not.

·
Registered
529 Posts
IMO... The Taurus falls short of what we all know as a full size sedan. When I hear Crown Victoria... I think RWD and V8. I think big seats and lots of leg room. I think a trunk I can hide 3 bodies in, plus my golf clubs.

The Taurus is 'meh' at best... it's not eye appealing to me.

I fully understand that the days of V8, RWD, boats on the road are pretty much over, but that's what I consider a full size sedan.

·
Registered
215 Posts
IMO... The Taurus falls short of what we all know as a full size sedan. When I hear Crown Victoria... I think RWD and V8. I think big seats and lots of leg room. I think a trunk I can hide 3 bodies in, plus my golf clubs.

The Taurus is 'meh' at best... it's not eye appealing to me.

I fully understand that the days of V8, RWD, boats on the road are pretty much over, but that's what I consider a full size sedan.
One of the biggest misses of the current Taurus is the inexcusably poor interior packaging. As with a few other Ford vehicles, it suffers from "big on the outside, small on the inside" syndrome. It does have a massive trunk, but otherwise the interior is surprisingly small and claustrophobic. If they decide to continue the Taurus, the very first thing they should do is ensure is that the interior is meaningfully larger than the Fusion. Otherwise, what's the point?

Yeah, I'd like a V8 in there too, and RWD would be great although I'd still want an AWD option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts