Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone -

I am Devin, a 4x Lincoln owner and overall car crazy guy. I wanted a place on the FFS boards to post and document my "build" for my new-to-me '17 MKZ. I am active on the MKZforum but traffic is a bit lighter there as is the modifying population. This is my second MKZ and I plan on taking this one a bit further than my last one when it comes to mods - would love to hear any insights and recommendations from the FFS crowd on next best steps with the car. This is my daily driver, so while that means I wont ignore modding it, it does mean its not my primary project or focus. But I have learned I cannot leave any of my cars alone, and this one is responding so well to mods so far, I am officially hooked.

Basic Car Info:
  • 2017 3.0TT w/ AWD ~ 40k mi and CPO'd
  • Mag Grey Ext/Ebony Int, Driver's Package, Climate Pkg, and Revel Audio.
  • Existing Mods/Changes: 20% tint, 2020 MKZ Wheels.
New Mods:
  • Debadged rear "LINCOLN" and "MKZ" emblems Performed: 11/24/19
  • Mag Grey bumper plugs for front plate holes Installed: 11/28/19
  • Modified Steeda CAI Kit (trimmed and insulated) Installed: 12/8/19
  • GFB DV+ Installed: 12/8/19
  • UP Garret FMIC : Installed: 12/9/19
  • Steeda Front Strut Bar : Installed 12/15/19
  • SCT X4 w/ 93oct Torrie Tune: Installed 3/14/20
  • Neuspeed rse102 wheels, Satin gunmetal, 19x8.5, et45, 20lb ea. Installed 5/18/20
  • H&R Sport Springs and Steeda F&R Sway Bars: Installed 6/27/20
  • CP-E RMM: Installed 6/27/20
Maintenance:
  • PTU Flush Performed: 3/20/20
  • Trans Flush Performed: 3/20/20
  • Oil & Filter Change Performed : 6/13/20
Future Mods / Awaiting Install:
  • N/A
Aspirations / Goals for this car:
  • 11.99 or quicker et in street trim
  • UP Downpipes and maybe custom catback
  • TCE or KSport BBK to handle this thing and lose more weight
  • Throttle Body and charge pipes
  • WMI or alternative fueling solutions
  • Chrome delete / Black Label Grille / Tinted windshield
Some pics for the first post -

Black Friday grabs:

Debadge:

Plugs:

CAI / Brace / DV Installed:

UP FMIC Installed:

Sways Before & After Coating (my last MKZ's steeda rsb had corrosion issues and I wanted black)

Thanks for checking in and feel free to ask any questions on installation, part costs/specs, etc.

Reactions: lyee

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First question - is about Sway Bar Links

I would like to convert to adjustable when I install the sway bars, and am wondering if the fusion/mkz units are shared with anything else, front and rear.

Mustang?

Is anything other that Steeda's adjustable links available?

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, and I have! It has definitely boosted my motivation and served as some inspiration. I am hoping the light-weight wheels i have planned, good rubber, and maybe some light weight rotors will also get this car moving a bit better, as opposed to adding power. There is no doubt its already a 12sec as it sits, its just so strong... everytime I hammer it I am ear-to-ear grinning. As a matter of cat, there is a guy on youtube with an MKZ who hit 12.01. Tune, dp's, wheels, FMIC, and I think he pulled some interior bits out for that pass. But Marcelion's car def shows potential. TuningbyJames is a cool dude too I worked with him on my last MKZ trying to get tuning sorted, but ended up getting this car instead. Either way, it IS ambitious but I think possible. Would love to drive to the track, hit an 11.XX and go home :p

I come from the vw/audi world, and a common mod there is tuning the haldex awd unit. It is fwd biased but there are programs out there that anticipate and allocate more rear bias in launches, low gears, etc. I have a lot to learn about the intelligent awd system and programming on our cars, but am curious if we have options. The MKZ has tq-vectoring due to the driver's package, did the FFS receive this as well? Wondering if anyone has cracked the code or looked into what is capable there.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I haven't found any 2 piece rotors that work with our stock calipers.

Check with James about tuning the AWD system, he had to do something for the 11.7 pass that a sport just pulled off.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am hoping that TCE fusion kit can be made to work with our cars (but that means new calipers, not stock)

I do feel like they managed to do something with the awd, ill write him a note. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I am hoping that TCE fusion kit can be made to work with our cars (but that means new calipers, not stock)

I do feel like they managed to do something with the awd, ill write him a note. Thanks for the tip.
When you find out, post up. Would like to know if rear bias can be increased @ launch.
I felt like fronts were spinning like crazy, sometimes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Received my tires last week and got them mounted up. Went with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in 245/40/19(stock sizing, but new wheels are 8.5" wide vs the stock 8.0") I have heard great things on these tires and have never owned a set of PSS before, so I am very excited for temps to warm up more consistently around here and get the mounted.

And the weight came in at 25lb per tire, vs the 26 found on spec sheet (Hey, Ill take it!) All in I am looking at about 45lbs per corner now, vs 57-58lbs for the stock wheels. So 12lb reduction in rotating mass, (48 total!) without sacrificing stock sizing. LW wheels are something I try to do on all my cars because the benefits are great. Hoping for similar results on this car. The tires alone are going to be great I am sure.

I had these mounted and balanced off the car, but TPMS units were installed. Is there a recommended tool for programming these at home?

Reactions: Oreo

·
Registered
329 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The Fusion's TPMS also learns the locations automatically, so when you rotate tires you don't need to use a tool or follow a process.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
That 3.0 should be pushing out 600 hp with a full tune unless Ford used different turbos on the Explorer ST. I would love to get ahold of a stock HPTuners PCM read for a MKZ 3.0

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Nice MKZ should boogie have you tracked the car yet?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Fusion's TPMS also learns the locations automatically, so when you rotate tires you don't need to use a tool or follow a process.
Auto relearn is the way to go!
Thanks all, appreciate the link too.

That 3.0 should be pushing out 600 hp with a full tune unless Ford used different turbos on the Explorer ST. I would love to get ahold of a stock HPTuners PCM read for a MKZ 3.0
Just got my in-laws into an Aviator last week, and it was fun to experience the powerplant in a different setting. I can try to see if I can grab a tuner and log for you when it warms up around here.

Nice MKZ should boogie have you tracked the car yet?
Thanks, I am not sure how much further I will take this car after suspension, wheels and tires (and maybe downpipes). It is honestly so quick for me, and i have "other projects" that need funds. No track time yet, waiting for temps to warm up and I dont know if my track will be open for Covid. My best guess is mid-low 12's as it sits right now.

@DeviLSh Michelin are PSS are sweet but damn they wear fast.... I think I’ll get ~15k out of mine
They came stock on the focus RS and we are getting much, much more out of them. That's what people are getting on the much softer cup 2s
Yeah, not as bad as cup2's, but its a lot of money for 300 treadwear tires. Never gone all in on a set of really good rubber before, but I am doing so realizing its a pay to play move. We have an audi TT that has Conti DW ports, and I only got one very hard season out of the rears.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the wheels cleaned, and sealed this week. First time trying these products, we shall see how well they keep these wheels clean. The idea is silicone free to reduce unwanted gloss on the matte finish. It was surprisingly hard finding wheel sealants that don't have shine enhancers in them.

·
Registered
338 Posts
They came stock on the focus RS and we are getting much, much more out of them. That's what people are getting on the much softer cup 2s

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
My mistake we have different tires ... I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports. 6700 miles and down to 6/32... I think they will survive this summer at that’s it. Sweet tire though

1 - 20 of 38 Posts