Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I detailed my engine bay. I used Chemical Guys Nonsense all purpose cleaner, Chemical guys Silk Shine Dressing, and compressed air to get the job done.

I need to get one of those steel plates with the build date...

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
It wasn't terribly dirty to start with, which is why I went with Nonsense. I have a pressure washer and Chemical Guys All Clean for when it gets really dirty. If I let it get dirty, that is.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm a noob when it comes to detailing the engine bay. What is the process typically? Outside of covering the electrical components what kind of prep is involved? I picked up a substantial amount of dust from my uncles driveway and I want to clean it up.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm a noob when it comes to detailing the engine bay. What is the process typically? Outside of covering the electrical components what kind of prep is involved? I picked up a substantial amount of dust from my uncles driveway and I want to clean it up.
I was able to clean my engine bay without the use of a pressure washer for this round. As far a prep work, all that was needed was popping the hood. I was careful about where I sprayed the cleaner and dressing, and used a microfiber cloth to wipe down any area that needed attention.

As far as using water from some source, I haven't done it on this vehicle yet, so I can't say for sure, but I have done it on other vehicles and have never had a problem.

If your airbox is sealed (and it is on the Sport) then you don't really need to worry about water. Additionally, all newer cars have sensors that are sealed so that water does not interfere with them. On my 98 TransAm, I would spray the entire engine bay down with water (use a setting on the pressure washer that is safe for paint) and then apply cleaner to the areas in need. After that, I would use microfiber clothes and a brush to try and spread the cleaner over all dirty areas. When done applying the cleaner, I would spray the engine down again to wash it all away. Then I would start the engine and let it idle to make sure there was no problems, and after 5 minutes or so I would turn the engine off and finish the cleaning with microfiber clothes.

At the time I would clean my TA's engine bay, I didn't have silk shine dressing, so I never did that step. I used to use armor all wipes on the plastic pieces to make them shine more.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Please don't stick your hand, or any tool into your engine bay while the car is running.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts