Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks, its been all over the news about Winter Storm Uri. Here in Shreveport we started yesterday with Sleet. Good thing about that was the air temp has been below freezing since Saturday, so no icing. We received about a 1/2 inch of sleet, then 4 inches of dry powder snow. If I was in Breckinridge, like back in high school days or Garmisch, Germany, back in the 80's I would be in heaven, but I am in the area of the world where no one seems to know how to drive on snow and dang it, No Chair Lifts!

I got in my car this morning, it was only 17 (hush you Canadians with your -20;)) got on the road and played "dodge the idiots". It was my first time in the FS on snow. I have to say I am impressed. I had no issues with getting around. Okay, I only did 20 mph through town. But it was fun watching people spinning their tires and spinning out when going around corners. Always checking the intersections as I approached, because evidently there is rule in the Louisiana Driving Manual, that says when it snows, red lights don't exist. So many people running red lights, it was not funny.

The funniest thing I saw was driving over the Texas St Bridge. It goes from Shreveport to Bossier City (where I work). As I was going down the Bossier City side I passed an F150 going up the hill toward Shreveport. At the bottom of the bridge is a red light. I coasted to a stop and look in my rear view mirror and the F150 is backing down the bridge in my lane.:oops: I kept watching him just to make sure he wasn't going to bump me. Light turned green before he got close, so off I went.

Now, when coming home this afternoon all the nice powder had crushed into a nice hard snow pack which was even more fun to drive on. Like driving on a washboard. More "dodge the idiots". Still impressed with the all wheel drive and the Yokahama all season tires.

We have an full on ice storm projected for Tuesday night and Wednesday. I'm staying home. I don't have spikes or chains. :cool:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Well folks, its been all over the news about Winter Storm Uri. Here in Shreveport we started yesterday with Sleet. Good thing about that was the air temp has been below freezing since Saturday, so no icing. We received about a 1/2 inch of sleet, then 4 inches of dry powder snow. If I was in Breckinridge, like back in high school days or Garmisch, Germany, back in the 80's I would be in heaven, but I am in the area of the world where no one seems to know how to drive on snow and dang it, No Chair Lifts!

I got in my car this morning, it was only 17 (hush you Canadians with your -20;)) got on the road and played "dodge the idiots". It was my first time in the FS on snow. I have to say I am impressed. I had no issues with getting around. Okay, I only did 20 mph through town. But it was fun watching people spinning their tires and spinning out when going around corners. Always checking the intersections as I approached, because evidently there is rule in the Louisiana Driving Manual, that says when it snows, red lights don't exist. So many people running red lights, it was not funny.

The funniest thing I saw was driving over the Texas St Bridge. It goes from Shreveport to Bossier City (where I work). As I was going down the Bossier City side I passed an F150 going up the hill toward Shreveport. At the bottom of the bridge is a red light. I coasted to a stop and look in my rear view mirror and the F150 is backing down the bridge in my lane.:oops: I kept watching him just to make sure he wasn't going to bump me. Light turned green before he got close, so off I went.

Now, when coming home this afternoon all the nice powder had crushed into a nice hard snow pack which was even more fun to drive on. Like driving on a washboard. More "dodge the idiots". Still impressed with the all wheel drive and the Yokahama all season tires.

We have an full on ice storm projected for Tuesday night and Wednesday. I'm staying home. I don't have spikes or chains. :cool:
Good defensive driving @maydk65 ! I've had these kinds of conversations with people I don't know how many times.....it doesn't matter if you have right-of-way or not, if someone else either can't stop or isn't paying attention. Being "right" won't stop them from smashing up your car and potentially someone getting really hurt. Always be cautious. It's saved me plenty of times. But I do love how this car will still move on surfaces other cars can't grip onto.

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport Ecoboost AWD
33 Posts
I had a problem with my FFS '17 as posted earlier with the much colder and longer duration part of Uri in C-U IL. Most drivers where I live have sense enough not to drive in this weather and if they do, except for the immature and U of I foreign national students (fns), who are walkers anyway. I'm taking the car in to have the code(s) pulled to see what the problem was with stalling in traffic next Monday. I've got an extended warranty purchased from the dealership at the time I took title.

Now, I'm 70 going on 71, so I don't drive any where near the immature or fns drivers who are usually not driving in this weather o_O

1 - 4 of 4 Posts