Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got up thing morning went to run some errands and low and behold the battery is dead. Go get my jump box, which I usually keep charged up and of course it is dead. Get my father to come over and jump me off. Took the car on about a 10 mile run, come back to the house, turn car off and try to re-crank. Dead. BTW no check engine or battery light on the display. Jump it off again and take off to Walmart to get a battery check and and I assume a new battery. Battery is tested as bad. They want to sell me a T5 battery which their computer say is what I need. I asked, the service manager, "Does that huge battery sitting in my car look like a T5 battery?" He tells me he can only put in what the computer tells him to. I said sell me a H7 and I will install myself. Of course, they are out of stock.

So, I figure since the old battery is and O'Reilly's Brand (build Date 10/18) I would run across the street and get a replacement there. Nope, outta stock. So, to Autozone we go. They have the battery I need. Purchase. Take home. Remove air intake housing get the old battery out, put new in. Get in car starts great. Turn off, do the battery reset dance. Then, start up. Check Engine light comes on and when I turn the AC on, the heat comes on and air blows out on the floor. I get a engine coolant over temp warning and the cooling fans are blowing hard. I was a little freaked out.

I turn off everything off and hook up my X4 and check for codes. I have 6 codes. All are codes that would be apparent for the bad battery and 3 were caused when I had put my car in neutral and pushed out of garage to jump it off. There was one code that for loss of communication with the BCM. I clear all the codes with the X4, crank the car and my AC begins to work and my check engine light goes away. Took on a spirited drive, leaving the X4 plugged in. Get home, no new codes.

My Saturday sucked. How was yours?o_O

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
374 Posts
Got up thing morning went to run some errands and low and behold the battery is dead. Go get my jump box, which I usually keep charged up and of course it is dead. Get my father to come over and jump me off. Took the car on about a 10 mile run, come back to the house, turn car off and try to re-crank. Dead. BTW no check engine or battery light on the display. Jump it off again and take off to Walmart to get a battery check and and I assume a new battery. Battery is tested as bad. They want to sell me a T5 battery which their computer say is what I need. I asked, the service manager, "Does that huge battery sitting in my car look like a T5 battery?" He tells me he can only put in what the computer tells him to. I said sell me a H7 and I will install myself. Of course, they are out of stock.

So, I figure since the old battery is and O'Reilly's Brand (build Date 10/18) I would run across the street and get a replacement there. Nope, outta stock. So, to Autozone we go. They have the battery I need. Purchase. Take home. Remove air intake housing get the old battery out, put new in. Get in car starts great. Turn off, do the battery reset dance. Then, start up. Check Engine light comes on and when I turn the AC on, the heat comes on and air blows out on the floor. I get a engine coolant over temp warning and the cooling fans are blowing hard. I was a little freaked out.

I turn off everything off and hook up my X4 and check for codes. I have 6 codes. All are codes that would be apparent for the bad battery and 3 were caused when I had put my car in neutral and pushed out of garage to jump it off. There was one code that for loss of communication with the BCM. I clear all the codes with the X4, crank the car and my AC begins to work and my check engine light goes away. Took on a spirited drive, leaving the X4 plugged in. Get home, no new codes.

My Saturday sucked. How was yours?o_O
Man, this car really loses its damn marbles when the battery starts to give out.

Makes me worry. My battery has been fine but died a little while ago when I was using accessory power for a long while. It gave me the standard "turn on or shut off accessory power" but wouldn't turn over. I left it, then an hour or two later after work finished went out and she started fine if weakly.

After some checking, this is the OE battery I am pretty sure! Nearly 5 years old and with 40k miles on it nearly.

·
Registered
847 Posts
That's normal for all the new Fords, cars trucks' doesn't matter they all do it. We scan all the cars when were done with them so we can clear out all the codes, and make sure they run right and no codes come back.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Mine just died two days ago after the car sat for almost two weeks. Jumped it, drove around for half an hour, everything seemed fine. Go to start it this morning and it's dead again. Guess I'm shopping for a new battery. Any recommendations besides Motorcraft?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I personally, like the Walmart Everstart and would have gotten one today, if the H7 form would have been in stock. The battery in the car when I bought it, was an O'Reilly's Superstart AGM, this one lasted 3 years. I really, don't think it matters these days. There is another thread on here that discusses batteries more in depth. But, in our cars, I would say 3 years is pretty much the limit of dependable service. After that it is day-to-day. Just make sure you get one with a good warranty.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Mine lasted three years, I've got a guy at work that loves AGM batteries, puts them in everything. Ford started putting them in trucks back around 2015, seem to hold up pretty well in them. We've had a few 15 16's we built back then that still had the original batteries in them going strong.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Would prematurely replacing the battery before it begins to show signs of age avoid this hassle? Mine’s the stock battery, manufactured in 16, so it’s bound to die soon. Should I just go get one or will I experience the same code issues?
I’ve disconnected the battery to install a sub cable and it didn’t throw codes so I assume a replacement should be ok. I’ll go get one tomorrow to put off this headache for at least another 3-4 years.

·
Registered
2017 Fusion Sport
51 Posts
Would prematurely replacing the battery before it begins to show signs of age avoid this hassle? Mine’s the stock battery, manufactured in 16, so it’s bound to die soon. Should I just go get one or will I experience the same code issues?
I’ve disconnected the battery to install a sub cable and it didn’t throw codes so I assume a replacement should be ok. I’ll go get one tomorrow to put off this headache for at least another 3-4 years.
Yes! Replace the battery before it leaves you stranded, especially if you can find one. I replaced the battery in my 17 2-3 months ago. It was the factory original and it left me stranded twice. Like a lot of things right now, batteries are becoming harder and harder to find so do yourself a favor and start looking now. Hopefully you can find one before it becomes a serious issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts