Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else turn them off?

I have always hated them, and was so happy i can turn them of, and did.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Anyone else turn them off?

I have always hated them, and was so happy i can turn them of, and did.
I have always disabled them in my cars up to a few years ago. I remember pulling the side panel on my GPs and unplugging them, but Ive liked them on my mustangs and the sport.

·
Registered
481 Posts
i love the aggressive look so i leave it on. Ive seen other non sports and the DRL being on the bottom of the lights doesnt look nearly as good as them being on the top of the headlight housing.

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
I left them on in my Sport - they look cool and mean. However I did turn them off in our old '14 Titanium since it was just low powered headlights. Those I hate. I'll leave on any DRL LED strips, just not regular bulbs.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I left them on in my Sport - they look cool and mean. However I did turn them off in our old '14 Titanium since it was just low powered headlights. Those I hate. I'll leave on any DRL LED strips, just not regular bulbs.
Ditto. I hate the dim-bulb drls on most mid-late 2000s cars. I like it when an automaker uses them as a design feature rather than just having them for safety alone. makes the car look cheap/basic

Also, I agree that the base fusion led strips on the bottom look ugly. makes the car look like its got tired eyes or something. the fully led headlights are such a massive style upgrade over the standard lights.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
The only time I am able to turn on DRL LED strips is by setting the headlamps to AUTO. I was going to ask how you guys are able to turn on DRLs normally? My 2018 Explorer XLT runs the LED strips ALL the time, whether I turned DRLs on or off, and whether my headlamps were on or switched off (no auto on my base XLT).

In Parking lights mode, the strips are dimmed. But in auto headlamp mode, the strips are much much brighter. I'd like to keep them on that way all the time, ala the 2018 Explorer.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its in the car settings, you just have to find it and I guess turn it on. Odd that yours were OFF by default.

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
Mine (early 2017) are off unless you're in Auto and in gear, as well. Or of you have the headlights or parking lights on.

I see plenty of 17+ Explorer Sports or Platinums in my area with the LED strip off while driving as well, tho (not sure if people turn them off in IPC or what). Our '16 Escape's are always on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
My 18 Explorer XLT LED DRL strip is always on regardless of my headlight switch setting. I am fine with LED DRLs. It's the halogens and HIDs that make me want to disable it because they wear down the bulbs, so I lose headlight lifespan at night where it matters the most.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I am fine with LED DRLs. It's the halogens and HIDs that make me want to disable it because they wear down the bulbs, so I lose headlight lifespan at night where it matters the most.
Pretty much this

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
So can we confirm the DRL's on the 2017-2020 Fusion are just the LED strips around the headlights and not just lower-powered LED low beams?

The reason I ask is that on the 16-19 Explorers it looks like the LED strips around the headlights are signature lighting and the DRLs are lower-powered LED low beams. I actually saw a few 16-19 Explorers with their lowbeams out, and these are almost $1000 each to replace.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Our DRLs are basically high powered parking lights. Low beam LEDs are entirely separate.
So they are just the strips surrounding the headlights?
Awesome.
I just don't understand how Ford considers the strips on the Explorer as "signature" lighting and uses the low beams as DRLs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts