Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well you done went and got yourself a SCT X4 and a couple custom tunes. That’s great I’m sure like most of us you browsed the manual, searched the forums and you tube for how to videos on loading that new tune. Feeling a bit uneasy but confident in your new found instructions you got your tune loaded and WOW it’s night and day. The car performance is even more than you expected. Yes it is amazing what a custom tune can do for these and other cars and with the new added performance you are happy as a Sport owner can be and nothing can get better than this or can it?

There is an old saying “You can’t miss what you never had”. So are you missing something? Well in my opinion and experience so far I have to say YES. Let me explain, I have no experience in any of this new tuning techniques with N-Gauges, SCT x4’s or other custom programmers. I have been old school guy wrenching HP/TQ into cars with a flip chip programmer for the diesel along the way so I have been really interested in learning all about how this works. I think if you have read any of my other threads you should know by now how I do/think about things. So like most of you I did my research, did a lot of reading, comparing and made my decision to purchase a SCT-X4 from Unleashed with 3 custom tunes. Like magic a day or two later I had my programmer and after exchanging information via email with Torrie he sent me the initial tunes. Notice I said initial because in my opinion the tune you receive from your programmer is a much improved baseline performance tune.
Don’t get me wrong these tune are an awakening for the cars and make them a heck of a lot more fun to drive but if you really want to wake the monster and twist the horn on your unicorn data logging it the way to do it.

So what is data logging? Well basically it is what it says it is. You connect a device to your car and log specific information about the cars performance. Things like boost, throttle position, air temps, rpm, air fuel ratio, knock sensors, timing, timing advance and the list goes on. When you save your data log it creates a cvs file that you email your tuner to review and see exactly how your car is performing and reacting to the current tune. From here the tuner can tweak shift points, boost curve, timing, and too many other things to list here. Once the data log has been reviewed the tuner will make adjustments and send you a new version of your tune. It should be noted this is not a one and done type of process. I am currently on revision 10 (I had a few issue to iron out before we could get to the real tune tweaks). So if you decide to start you should be prepared to see it to the end.

At this point you might be wondering why the tuner didn’t just send you the “Final” revision to start with? Because it just doesn’t work that way from several reasons. One is even thought all our Sports are built with the same 2.7 engines, transmissions, trans axles etc each one runs and performs a little different and because of this there is no one tune fits all answer. This is why you data log so your tuner can get your car fine-tuned to its best possible performance. Also you want to do a datalog and send it to your tuner any time you add mods to your car such as CAI, Throttle Body Spacer, Larger Throttle Body, Exhaust etc.…

Ok enough with the why you should, let’s get into the how do I data log with my SCT-X4. One of the things you always hear is it isn’t as easy as with other devices. Well I think that statement should be it isn’t as convenient as other devices. It is actually pretty easy to capture a data log but there are a couple things you need to do to get ready to do so.

What you need:
SCT-X4, OBD cable and USB cable
A windows laptop or tablet with active USB port
SCT LiveLink Software
Configuration file

When you got your SCT-X4 it came with 2 cables one was the OBD cable and the other was the USB cable which you used to upload your custom tune to your programmer via the Updater software. We will need both of these cables.

To download the LiveLink software to install on your laptop/tablet click on the following link:
[url=https://az824306.vo.msecnd.net/software/LiveLink_Gen-II.exe]LiveLink[/URL]

Your tuner will provide you with a data log config file that you use each time you log. This file has all the items your tuner wants to log so you don’t have to create a log and manually set it up each time. In my case I sent an email to Torrie and he sent me the config file.

So the first thing is to install the LiveLink software on your laptop/tablet. Next you need to make sure you have plenty of battery life for your lap top. Once LiveLink is installed and you confirm your laptop battery level grab your SCT X4, both cables and head out to the car it’s time to data log.

A couple things to keep in mind when doing a data log run. You need to route your cables so they are not in your way to drive the car. Having a co-pilot helps but isn’t necessary to data log. You are making, at least the way I do it, hard runs from dead stop to WOT, traction control off, in Sport mode thru third or fourth depending on your run selection. SAFETY should be the major concern when making a data log run. I have found several spots around town where early in the morning or late in the evening there is little to NO traffic and I can make a run without worrying about other cars, people or unforeseen issues. My typical run is as follows: Stopped and aligned with run path, Traction Control OFF, Sport Mode ON, AC OFF, Windows UP. I do not use the paddle shifters, I allow the transmission to handle shifts so my tuner can see its performance and make adjustment if needed. Just before the run I start the data logging which takes 3-5 seconds to start logging. Once I see the data is logging I put the can in Sport mode, hold the brake and bring the RPM’s up to 2000-2500 and let off break while rolling into the throttle quickly and holding it on the floor. It is important that you keep that throttle planted until you are done with your run. In my case I have a point at each of my run points that I left off and return the car to the posted limits if there is one. I am sure others may do it differently but this has worked for me while Torrie is tweaking my tune and if your tuner needs you to do it differently he will tell you.

Ok so are ready to start data logging and you’re sitting in the car behind the wheel. I plug in the OBD cable to the OBD port on and loop the cable over the rear of the steering column and slightly tuck it in where the soft seal is. I then thread the other end under the center console area under the radio and loop it around the right hand, passenger side, post and plug it into the SCT-X4 programmer. I place the programmer in the rectangular tray topside down and plug in the USB cable into the programmer and into my laptop which sits on the passenger seat unless my wife is data logging for me. You may find a layout you like better but this works for me. Before I head to my run spots I start the LiveLink program and confirm that it connects and is ready to data log. The following are step to do this:

Start the LiveLink program once it has started it should look like this.

The program has a guide built in and is easy to follow. Click on what you want to do. In this case “I want to datalog a vehicle”

You should now see the “Connect you SCT device” to your PC USB port. This is already done so click the next button bottom right corner to go to next screen.

You should now see the “Connect you OBD-II Port” screen. Again this is already done so click the next button bottom right corner to go to next screen.

You should now see the “Start the engine” screen. Start the engine and click the next button bottom right corner to go to next screen.

You should now see the “Check communication” screen. Click on the”Check communication” button to establish a connection between the LiveLink software, the SCT-X4 and the vehicle.

You should now see the Status area of the screen publish the read data form your car.

Once this data publishes click the Vehicle Info button bottom right corner to go to next screen.

On this screen there is information listed about your car. What you are looking for is the Load Config option on the top navigation ribbon.

Clicking the Load Config option opens a browse window allowing you to browse to where you saved your datalog config file provided by your tuner. The config file I use for data logging is called “Fusion Sport.cf4”

Once loaded your screen will show the required PID’s your tuner needs, a set of gauges, and a graph where you see the live logging or where you can review live or saved data logs.

Now you are ready to start your data log when you get to your run spot. You may not do all this ahead of time but I do it so I can be ready to start my logging and make my run and roll out without having to stop, get everything running then Start run.

Now get comfortable, lined up and to start the data logging simply click the little programmer icon with the green button.

Remember it takes anywhere from 3-8 seconds for the data logging to begin and you can tell when the logging has started when you see all the data being published in the graph area.

So you launch, make you run through third gear into fourth, run done so you let off and coast back to a reasonable speed and in my case I either am at a stop sign or light so you reach over and click the programmer icon with the red button to stop logging.

Ok so you now have a log now you need to save it so you can send it to your tuner. If you do not save it or forget to save it the LiveLink program usually asks if you want to save it before it closes. To save the file, look on the navigation ribbon and click on SAVE then SAVE ALL option.

A browse window will open up allowing you to browse to the place you want to save your datalog. You can also name you data log here while saving. I recommend you include some type of identifier like run place, date, tune revision etc.

At this point you have made your first data logging run and now can give your tuner what he needs to see how the tune is performing and the ability to make adjustments to improve performance.

Guys and Gals I cannot stress how important it is you make sure what you are doing is done in a safe place and in a safe manner. Friday night at the track is a great place but I have been told you can’t have a laptop loose on your passenger seat for obvious reasons. The option for this would be to set your laptop so it doesn’t shutdown or hibernate when you close the lid and start logging when you stage and put it in the back pocket of the front seat. Once you are finished you can save the file and trim it as needed. Another option is to get a buddy, your bride, girlfriend to go with you and data log. After revision 005 my wife no longer data logs for me she said it’s just too fast. Pick a low/no traffic area, smooth road surface, no potholes, no driveways or turn out where somebody could unexpectedly turn out into your path. The majority of my data logs have a max speed of 75 to 80 mph. I have a dead end road, a four lane in an industrial area that is a ghost town on the weekends and several long on ramps to the interstate. I never make more than two back to back run in a single place and I always rotate places when testing several revisions during a couple day time frame. Also you don’t need to run it 100/110 to get accurate/usable data for your tuner.

Well that’s it. Once you do it a couple times you can get in the car and be ready to log in less than 3-4 minutes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Awesome write up! I was literally in the middle of researching how to do this and your post appeared. Thanks for investing your time in educating guys like me.

Can we get a sticky on this?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Awesome job Oreo! You da man!
Hopefully you inspire someone more knowledgeable than me to do the same with the nGauge.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Great write up..... thanks for the info.

Awesome write up! I was literally in the middle of researching how to do this and your post appeared. Thanks for investing your time in educating guys like me.

Can we get a sticky on this?
I agree... admins around here are like Keyser Söze

·
Registered
465 Posts
Your timing could not have been better.
I was only at Torrie's data logging primer
and was already questioning my abilities.

I'll email him for the config file today.

Thank you very much!

·
Super Moderator
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So you got all this data, you saved the file and sent it to your tuner. You closed the program and now , If you are like me, you want to know what all this means. So you open the program and hmm how do I see the datalog I saved. It’s easy once you open LiveLink the guide page will open again.

Select I want to open a datalog file and a browse window will open allowing you to browse to the location you saved the data file. Datalog files are by default saved as a simple .csv file which by the way you can open in Excel to view, create graphs, chart trends make wall art. Choose the datalog you want to look at and click open.

If you did it correctly you now have datalog pasta on the screen. How in the world do you read all this spaghetti? Well again it’s pretty easy, on the bottom left of the graph below the items area is a small icon bar. These options allow you to control what you see on the graph layout.

From the left to the right:
Pencil with Plus – Check all items to be displayed
Pencil with Minus – Unchecks all items except one (Usually accel pedal position D is left checked)
Pound Sign (HashTag for the young folk) – Changes the scale of the data on the left graph margin
Little box with arrows – Says Zoom sideways but I’m not sure what it does
Green bar – Changed the selected items display line. IE. Dotted, solid line or bold line
Tfx with green line – shows your minimum and maximum readings in the Items area
Small graph – Auto-scale selection allows you to scale the height of an individual item or the entire graph

So I start by clicking the Pencil w/minus to clear the graph. Now I have a single blue line on the chart which is the accel pedal position D. This is the output from you actual gas pedal. As you press the pedal and change position the data on the chart will change to reflect movement.

To add any data you want to see simply check the box next to that data in the item list area. Here I added Boost in PSI and intake air temp2F. Quick tip clicking on an item in the item list highlights it on the graph so it make it easier to see and follow. It also changes the left side scale to the proper range data for the selection. In this case the scale changed to -10 to 20 which covers out vacuum to boost min/max.

So now you can see through the datalog pasta and see what everything is doing during your test run. Another tip DON’T WATCH THE GRAPH DURING THE RUN! Just thought I would toss that in there I left it out in the above post. If you want to see how things work and watch the graph set up to data log at the house, select accel pedal position D and actual and throttle angle Actual, start the car and play with your loud pedal to see how the throttle body reacts to the gas pedal input.

There are 39 different items in the config file provided to me by my tuner. Slowly I have learned what most of these are but the other day I found a video I thought was pretty good and helped with the basics. While it isn’t Sport specific I thought it had a lot of good information. Enjoy the video while I’m off to get a cup of coffee before I start the next post…

Reactions: mike d and Kevin74

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ran my first WOT logs early this morning on a brief visit to Mexico. Good times!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Nice wrtie up! Have you had a chance to see, in the data logs, the changes he has been making?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So was I, oh yeah looking at the datalog. Ok we got a log, cleaned it up to see the items we want now we can play the log in real time and watch the graph data scroll by. When choosing several items to display you may notice that there are some items that chart off the graph so you can’t see it or you may want a slower/faster replay to see more data detail. This is where what I call the data ribbon comes in.
On this ribbon next to the Start Data Log and Stop Data Log icons (which are grayed out) you see the following:

MAX w/LR Arrows – This shrinks the entire graph in the horizontal direction allowing you to see all the data in a single page.
MAX w/UD Arrows – This allows you to set the height of the chart for all data displayed. Basically it moves all the data curves on the chart so the entire data line is visible.

Chart w/Arrows pointing out – Expands the chart in the horizontal direction so you can see more data detail during the run.
Chart w/Arrows pointing in – Compresses the graph in the horizontality direction.

Magnifier -/+ - Basically the same as the above two items

Graph w/Two Arrows Pointing Left – Returns graph to start
Graph w/One Arrow Pointing Left – Moves graph towards start one step at a time (about 4seconds)
Graph w/One Arrow Pointing Right – Moves graph towards end one step at a time (about 4seconds)
Graph w/Two Arrows Pointing Right – Goes to end of graph

1x – This is you play back rate (If you click it gives you 2x-10x and 20x playback rates)
Play Button – Starts data playback
Pause Button – Pauses data playback (when play is resumed playback starts where you paused)
Stop Button – Stops data playback (allow you to choose a new starting point to start playback)

Small Pencil with -/+ - Allows you to book mark a point in the graph
The Pencil with L/R Arrows – Move you to Previous (L) bookmark or Next (R) bookmark.

A couple other things about play back, you will notice whenever you mouse over the graph area with the pointer a red line is drawn on the graph (vertical). This indicates where you are in the data play back. Pressing pause stops the play back and basically locks that position on the graph in until you either press play or press stop. With the data playback paused you can look at the item list below the chart and the Value column shows the data for that point where you paused. Pressing play resumes playback from this point. When in paused mode you cannot choose to start playback from another point. Pressing the stop button frees up the pointer/red line to be moved to another point where you want to replay or start data playback.

To choose a spot to start playback bring the cursor over the spot on the graph where you want to start, click the graph and move cursor straight up. This places the red line on the start mark and allows you to click play and begin playback where you selected.

To the right of the graph you see two sets of green arrows one with arrows pointing toward each other and one with arrows point away from each other. This allows you to expand or collapse the left axis for the item you have highlighted in the Item area below the graph. Below I have highlighted the engine coolant temp F and have expanded the left axis so it fills the chart.

Next up make it easier to see the data with Gauges.

·
Super Moderator
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice wrtie up! Have you had a chance to see, in the data logs, the changes he has been making?

I have but I haven't been following them to closely. The biggest one last round was moving the boost curve back down due to higher than expected IAT2 temps (185F). I ran version 010 this morning, 73 degrees 85% humidity and had the most violent wheel spin I have had to date. Cooler air temps are our best friend for sure. Ok you ready, mark it down, I think I have proven to myself that a bigger intercooler would be a worth while investment. There I said it. LOL

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have but I haven't been following them to closely. The biggest one last round was moving the boost curve back down due to higher than expected IAT2 temps (185F). I ran version 010 this morning, 73 degrees 85% humidity and had the most violent wheel spin I have had to date. Cooler air temps are our best friend for sure. Ok you ready, mark it down, I think I have proven to myself that a bigger intercooler would be a worth while investment. There I said it. LOL
Hahahah i dont know enough about intercoolers to make a educated decision past what data you logged and i saw. Which while driving seemed ok! Even a large intercooler will heat soak when ya arent moving! Id say some.sorta water sprayrr on it be a welcomed investment and more then sufficient.

O and by violant wheel spin...... ya mean hes doin a good job with the changes? Lol!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Great Post! Lots of questions I had answered here.

·
Super Moderator
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For me the datalog pasta is nice but when I am looking at something or trying to track down an issue like my bouncing boost the graph showed the issue and the gauges showed me the swing in boost I was getting. By default the LiveLink program loads 3 analog dial gauges.

They are cool looking and it fun to watch the needle swing but I'm older and find it hard to see the number details on the dial gauge. Lucky for me they give us several options Dial Analog Gauge, Digital Gauge and Light Indicator.

At the bottom of the Gauge panel is what I call the gauge ribbon. This is where you can add gauges to your gauge panel. The three little icon on the left represents the gauge type you would like to add. Clicking the Round w/+ adds a dial gauge, Rectangle w/+ adds a digital gauge and the Rectangle w/red-green dots adds the light indicator.

To remove a gauge from the gauge panel hover the gauge and right click to open the gauge control panel for that single gauge. Clicking delete removes the gauge. Something to note is this panel is also where you assign what the gauge will display by choose an item from the list.

It is also where you set your gauge displays parameters for it’s Green, Yellow and Red data under the Configure zones selection.

Finally if you uncheck the Auto check box at the bottom of the gauge panel you will be able to customize your gauges.

So now you can spend countless hours customizing and setting up your gauges for when you review datalogs.

Oh here is a TIP: When you close LiveLink all your gauges reset to default. To prevent this on the right side of the gauge ribbon you can save your gauge configuration or configurations. This will allow LiveLink to keep your custom gauges handy and allow you to change gauge layouts in a matter of second without all the reconfiguration. The little folder is the browse icon and the refresh icon actually sets the gauge panel back to factory default.

Well guys and gals I believe that is about is. My bride has been hand washing my baby and she just came in and told me she was about done. Think it’s time to take her for a ride, my wife for a ride, in the car, I’m taking her to eat lunch!

Seriously I hope this helps answer a few of the questions some of you may have had. Once you have the data log, open up the program and play with it. You can’t hurt anything and you don’t need to do a balls out run to capture data. A simple cruse around the block is enough information to allow you to see how everything works and what it looks like under normal conditions.

If you don't have a SCT-X4 or a programmer yet you can still join in the fun. HERE is a datalog I ran bonestock for you to download. Grab the LiveLink program from the link in the original post and give it a test drive.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Yo, Oreo. So if I have OBD Mx Link bluetooth can that link up with LiveLink and datalog that way?

·
Super Moderator
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yo, Oreo. So if I have OBD Mx Link bluetooth can that link up with LiveLink and datalog that way?
LiveLink is software designed to work with the SCT-X4. With that being said you can datalog with the Torque Pro app and your OBD MX. Torque Pro logs all the data in a .csv file which you can they chart/graph in excel. That is how I did all my data logging in the Intake Megathread.

Here is an example:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0T5pVY2XLDvU1lwMmN1Qk9NeFk/view

A Torque Pro Tutorial is on my to do list. You should have gotten OBDWiz software and OBDLink app? You can also datalog with those as well but I haven't tried doing it.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Good writeup. It reminds me of how much I hated SCT and LiveLink. When I started using HPTuners I found their VCM Scanner to be a lot more intuitive and faster to run. Heck, for years I ran VCM Editor/Scanner on a Netbook from 2009 (those single core Celeron processor netbooks) to do everything, then switched to my dad's handme down 2012 Dell laptop that I refurb'd with more RAM and a SSD so it can handle the g-forces during tuning. I then went back to LiveLink to try it out, and found many similarities but I'm not going back to LiveLink any time soon.

General tips, try to log DMR PIDs. I forgot how SCT labels them (all caps? all lowercase?). The direct reads are faster than OBD2/SAE PIDs. Log anything that has "Source" in it, to ensure you're tracking why there's a torque limiter in place and what's causing it. Logging turbo airmass flowed is also important because it can give you an idea of whether your turbos are flowing the right amount of air and if your mods produced any improvement. Even though we are using speed density systems, there's inferred air mass flowed that the PCM has to use for fueling calculations.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts