Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys hardwired a dash cam in your cars? I have one that is currently plugged into the power point as I had to order a couple micro 3 fuse taps. Just trying to figure out which fuses I need to tap into for a constant power. The accessory power should be easy. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Have any of you guys hardwired a dash cam in your cars? I have one that is currently plugged into the power point as I had to order a couple micro 3 fuse taps. Just trying to figure out which fuses I need to tap into for a constant power. The accessory power should be easy. Thanks in advance.
This is a great question. I opted not to put a dash cam in until I can figure out a way to make it look nice. I'm not keen on having cords dangling over my dash.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry, no. I never did get around to it.

Edit: I'll get some pics taken today after work but if you wanna know anything just ask.

Reactions: Knightfall

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I hope to get it wired up today. I'll post some pics also. I ended up going with a Lukas Direct Qvia front and rear cams. I looked at the Blackvue and Thinkware ones and found th Qvia has a lot of options for a good price. For me one of the big things was the heat rating. The Qvia has the highest heat rating I could find and where I live that makes a difference. Here's the one I have QVIA/LUKAS

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have a dual-zone cam in mine... Currently setup running all the cabling around the top of the car with extra space tucked into the A-pillar. I use the 12v socket inside the center console, and I used FORSCAN to change the on-time to 6 hours or low power. I still plan on redoing a few things on it, but it's super clean as it is - no wires hanging about, and didn't have to hardwire the extra module I bought for the timer / voltage cutoff.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately the fuse taps I got would not push into the fuse slot, so I'm leaving it plugged into the console power point for now. Here's some pics. Sorry they aren't great pics. It's very smoky here right now. All the wires are tucked into the trim so nothing is visible other than what you see.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here are some pics, sorry for the camera phone quality. IIRC I had to buy a different type of fuse tap to fit this car's fuse box. Micro2 is the type I believe. Link to fuse tap https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=525514

As you can see, once mounted I don't even know the camera is there.

Steps to install:
1. Pull off lower dash panel to expose the fuse box compartment (pictured) under the steering wheel. Once you do this you should be able to look upward through this compartment where the A-pillar meets the upper dash (not pictured) This is where the wire for the camera will feed through.

2. Run wire down A-pillar (pictured) using wire fish/tape. Be careful of the air bags there. If your camera's power cord is long enough you can feed enough through the fuse box area to work comfortably in the drivers seat.

3. Locate suitable fuse socket (I used 35, which was empty for my car and is run/start hot).

4. Mount camera and hide the rest of the wire in your head liner by just tucking it in there, it should stay there. I used a zip tie to secure the wire alongside the wire for the rearview mirror.

Attachments

·
Registered
868 Posts
I just got my Viofo A119S v2 installed today. Tapped into the overhead lighting console main white plug. Black for ground/yellow for power. The power does seem to time out with the power points which is really nice. I don't need the parking video function.

Pics from driver and passenger side seats.

Here's a crappy youtube video. The camera does shoot 1080p @ 60fps.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts