Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

Custom Catback Exhaust

13K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  TomS 
#1 ·
I just wanted to share that I replaced the stock exhaust and resonator on my car on Dec 23. I had the shop use 2.5" pipe through an X pipe to dual Magnaflow straight through mufflers. The car sounded good with a nice low rumble at low RPM. The problem was that I had drone from nearly 1800-2500 rpm with the most irritating drone at 2K and the loudest drone at 2.5K in the RPM range. I took the car back to the exhaust shop and he made essentially a H pipe across the back right before the mufflers and nearly all of the drone is gone now. I have attached some pictures of the exhaust from this morning. I will try to get a video uploaded to youtube later for a sound clip.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Sounds good

#8 ·
The biggest change beside the sound is that it feels more responsive now, maybe a bit faster overall. The cost was $760 which included the mufflers, x pipe, the staggered exhaust tips, piping, and labor. They didn't remove any of the emission controls so I don't think I will have any issues with smog, also in California you are smog exempt for the first 6 years on new cars.

#10 ·
Hey @EcoBoosted, could you make a rolling vid so we can hear what it sounds like?

#11 ·
Yeah, I will try to get one made soon and post it on Youtube. If I can't get it done today then it will be at the end of the week.

Reactions: Donjohnk
#14 ·
It sounds pretty good! Certainly one of the best sounding FuSp exhausts I've heard yet (IMO)... alteast going by video alone. I think the X pipe does a lot to combat some of the uglier frequencies. It will be nice to see what kind of various configurations people here choose to go with.

Can't wait to see another drive by/interior vid

#15 ·
Sorry guys - I tried to make a quick drive by video before changing the exhaust but I only had my daughter to help and she's only 7 so it didn't really work out. Anyway after a couple hundred mile trip in the car this week, I felt that there was still too much drone / resonance (I must be getting old). Anyway I still have the Magnaflows but I had the x pipe removed and the stock resonator put back in. I will make some new videos with the current setup. Still has the low rumble sound but it is overall quieter especially at 3500rpm to WOT.

Reactions: Donjohnk and 1153
#17 ·
I believe the mufflers are p/n 11236, the shop provided the tips so I'm not sure of the part number but they are 2.5" in to dual SS 3.5" out. Also I have uploaded new video to the same youtube channel with the car parked and the sound inside with the stock resonator reinstalled. Not really sure how to attach the youtube link correctly though.

#19 ·
I never looked inside of it after it was taken off and exhaust shop kept it there when I left. After about 3 weeks I ended up putting the stock resonator back in to quiet the drone in the cabin, after having the X pipe removed there was a big reduction in sound volume, mostly in the higher frequencies, and a small amount of (perceived) loss of power. It should also be noted that the X pipe and all of the piping was 2.5" and the resonator is 2.25" so putting that restriction back into the system would be enough to cause the power loss.

I currently have the stock resonator feeding to Walker SS Super Turbos (2.5" offset/ 2.5" offset) and it still feels more responsive than the factory setup and I probably dropped about 30lbs since the mammoth stock muffler weighs around 40lbs. The interior noise is a low growl when driving on the freeway or at low speeds and at makes a decent amount of sound when you get on it (though nothing like when the x pipe was installed).

#22 ·
Do you have any videos of this setup? I am going to go to the muffler shop Saturday and have them do a full 3 inch from downpipes back. I either want to use Magnaflow mufflers or 40's series flow masters. Not sure which ones I want yet. I do not want any drone, that is for sure!

Any video or help is appreciated.

#20 ·
So with the x pipe and no front resonator its was pretty obvious you had exhaust work done even inside the car you heard it a lot? Mostly droan?
And when ya say higher frequencies did it sound more "exotic" like a Lamborghini (but obviously only using that for a reference... our lil v6 can only do so much).
Im always so curious.. i woulda examined that resonator when it was off! I havta see how things work!

Thanks for the reply.. and good documentation!

Josh

#23 ·
This post has been deleted
#25 ·
Unfortunitly Hi-Low won't give me the numbers, the owner said that it is a trademark
secret...

But the magna-flow resonator and the 2 Jones Turbo Tube's are not his trademarks.

I tried on more then one occasion to get the information but to no avail..

#26 ·
Reactions: 1153
#27 ·
Reactions: 1153
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.