Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may be able to add one more Steeda lowering springs customer to the clunking list...

Story is that I've been riding on my Steeda Springs for over 2 weeks. There have been zero issues with them, and they've been great. TODAY, the shop installed the front sway and links. The car still rides great, but now I'm getting sounds of rocks jumbling around the front end at low speeds. Turning does it too at low speeds. It sounds like things are contacting other things, like an endlink might be too girthy or the adjustments are off. I had the springs in just fine for 2 weeks. Alignment set at zero toe and 0 camber all around. Must I really take these off, as was the fate of others?! I'm going to do an inspection down there in a few days, and hopefully it's something easy. The best would if the links are just too wide and are clunking around. To note, I don't have the isolators. But that wasn't causing creaking before the bar.

Thanks for any help or suggestions,

- Chris -

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have the Steeda rear bar & links only. They’ve clunked loudly and can be felt through the back seat area since the day I installed them. Greasing them heavily helps temporarily but doesn’t cure it completely or for long. I like the handling improvement enough to not remove it though. If it’s any consolation, my 2010 Fusion Sport had a full Steeda lowered suspension - springs, bars, links, lower arms, strut braces, motor mount, adjustable caster/camber; threw the whole catalog at it. It was never as quiet and smooth of a car as the current Fusion, but afterward it bonked and clunked like a suitcase full of bocce balls.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the Steeda rear bar & links only. They’ve clunked loudly and can be felt through the back seat area since the day I installed them. Greasing them heavily helps temporarily but doesn’t cure it completely or for long. I like the handling improvement enough to not remove it though. If it’s any consolation, my 2010 Fusion Sport had a full Steeda lowered suspension - springs, bars, links, lower arms, strut braces, motor mount, adjustable caster/camber; threw the whole catalog at it. It was never as quiet and smooth of a car as the current Fusion, but afterward it bonked and clunked like a suitcase full of bocce balls.

I checked for grease, and they lubed the bar/brackets intensely. Luckily, the clunks have gone down a little bit, but the creaks are still there. Hopefully it all settles out. The handling is way worth it if it's just creaks. I'll take it.

·
Registered
634 Posts
One thing I just thought of that happened with my 2010...it was a long time ago now! I did all the suspension work when the car had about 40k on it. I had creaking that I thought was from from the lowered springs that turned out to be the stock lower control arm bushings. My mechanic theorized that because they had been operating in a certain range of motion for 40k they may have deformed a bit, “taken a set” so to speak. Then after lowering, they were operating outside the original range, and were in the “deformity”, causing the creaking noises. I used that as an excuse to upgrade the control arms. Don’t know how many miles you’ve got on the stock gear, but I know it took a good 10k for my Steeda suspension to fully settle and feel like a system. Also, my experience is that poly bushings are always harsher and transmit more noise than rubber, no matter what durometer the poly is supposed to be.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Don’t know how many miles you’ve got on the stock gear, but I know it took a good 10k for my Steeda suspension to fully settle and feel like a system.
This is an interesting observation. I have around 3k on my steeda springs and rear swaybar. I was getting some noise at first that wound up being an undertorqued bolt. For the most part I only get a clunk when the front end becomes unloaded - like when going over a dip in the road. It doesnt happen at low speeds, so I still havent discounted I still have something loose, but I havent had a chance to look again.

I will agree the improvements are worth the admission, but it still makes me cringe a bit. This is the 4th car I've lowered, and the only one that has continued making noises. Maybe I just need to wait another 7k miles ;)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Just had Steed Lowering Springs, Front Sway Bar and Garage Line Spacers installed. Love the handling and ride quality. I also have a noise, now. It is the front Driver side. When I pull out of my parking spot in the morning I have to make an immediate hard right turn. I get a popping sound in the front wheel area. It is only during this initial pull out and turn, not during any other time. I am wondering if they failed to grease the bushings on the sway bar when they installed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good support group right here. Ha. So the update is that the clunking is 90% gone. Creaking about 80% gone. That's just from the car sitting at work. If this trajectory keeps up, I'll be silent soon.

The bocce ball comment was on point as to what it sounded like pulling out of the shop lot. Now it seems like low grade spring creak for the most part. Still odd that they would be noisy upon sway installation. Not sure if minor spring clocking issues are solved with just driving a bit, but I would guess that's where the clunks came from. I do still need to wrap the springs with isolator coiling to see if that takes up the rest of the noise. The last check could be taking the links off to see if there is smooth rotation at the sway bar. Top hat seating issues have been mentioned, bolt torque, springs just don't work in our cars...any and all could cause the same noises I guess. The variability I'm time-frames is amazing here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One thing I just thought of that happened with my 2010...it was a long time ago now! I did all the suspension work when the car had about 40k on it. I had creaking that I thought was from from the lowered springs that turned out to be the stock lower control arm bushings. My mechanic theorized that because they had been operating in a certain range of motion for 40k they may have deformed a bit, “taken a set” so to speak. Then after lowering, they were operating outside the original range, and were in the “deformity”, causing the creaking noises. I used that as an excuse to upgrade the control arms. Don’t know how many miles you’ve got on the stock gear, but I know it took a good 10k for my Steeda suspension to fully settle and feel like a system. Also, my experience is that poly bushings are always harsher and transmit more noise than rubber, no matter what durometer the poly is supposed to be.
I'm only at 26k on a 2017. Not bad. I wouldn't think they'd deform all that much, but who knows. Man I'd love polyurethane bushings all around. May have to get another Energi for daily at that point.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just had Steed Lowering Springs, Front Sway Bar and Garage Line Spacers installed. Love the handling and ride quality. I also have a noise, now. It is the front Driver side. When I pull out of my parking spot in the morning I have to make an immediate hard right turn. I get a popping sound in the front wheel area. It is only during this initial pull out and turn, not during any other time. I am wondering if they failed to grease the bushings on the sway bar when they installed.
I forgot to check if there is a portal on the brackets that you can squirt lube into. Also, hopefully access would be easy enough to do that. Based on the horror it sounds like it is to get the sway in there, greasing may not even be worth it now.

·
Registered
602 Posts
There are no zerk fittings on the front sway bars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I get the single popping sound in the front passenger side, but only when I make a hard left. I had the sway bars in for about a year with no noises or creaks. It was only after I did the lowering springs when I got the pop.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
There are no zerk fittings on the front sway bars.
You can add them super easy though.................

I was using this grease, but it sucks, lasts a couple months tops, especially in winter.

Got this stuff from Hotchkis. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for in this case, 1000 times better.

Then got a dedicated grease gun and drilled a hole through bushing and mount, tapped in fitting to finish it up.

Use angle fittings and it works out nice!!

·
Registered
875 Posts
I had poping noises that were odd ava difficult to track down, but it was the sway bar end links, the factory tq spec was too low and I had to tighten the crap out of them. I could see where the the endings were siding around in the strut hole and on the sway bar end, so I kept marking the location with a paint pen or greese and kept tightening until the movement stopped.

·
Registered
602 Posts
What torque did you end up with?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can add them super easy though.................

I was using this grease, but it sucks, lasts a couple months tops, especially in winter.

Got this stuff from Hotchkis. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for in this case, 1000 times better.

Then got a dedicated grease gun and drilled a hole through bushing and mount, tapped in fitting to finish it up.

Use angle fittings and it works out nice!!

That is epic. Next time....ha.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had poping noises that were odd ava difficult to track down, but it was the sway bar end links, the factory tq spec was too low and I had to tighten the crap out of them. I could see where the the endings were siding around in the strut hole and on the sway bar end, so I kept marking the location with a paint pen or greese and kept tightening until the movement stopped.
I hope this is the case. Going to try to track down the creaks this weekend finally. Especially since the springs had been fine prior on my end.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Na, I've tried to track this down for months. I even bought new strut mounts trying to chase this down. When I go over a medium bump, passenger front "clunk". I bought adjustable end links to see if it would help with sway bar positioning but no dice. Sometimes going super slow like pulling into a driveway I'll get it. Get used to it lol. #Clunkers4life

Reactions: skypark350

·
Registered
408 Posts
Oh also strut tower bar to try to maybe stiffen up the front since it seemed more often when the passenger side hit the bump first. No dice either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts