Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it looks pretty, at least..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I run a catch can on my boosted stang, but I know a lot of guys that run them with good results. Not sure how well they will work on a turbo application though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I read... Typically you do not want a Crankcase breather unless it's a baffled breather or it will be read as a PVC leak. This is specifically made for turbo applications (2.3l mustang ecoboost).

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
No, it's needed for certain applications.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I want one of these but I'm hesitant because I don't know if it will cause any issues.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Only cars ive seen with these are running much higher then stock boost with after market intake, IC, exhaust, OCC, etc. I wish I had used the proper occ setup on my last car because I had this same setup but I didn't have the bottom end vented properly. This cause too much pressure on my ringlands and it caused my motor to go. 3 of the 4 cylinders had bad blow by. Compression was dropping fast, oil was leaking out of the valve cover under boost..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Why do this?
What does it help?

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
No, it's needed for certain applications.
Such as?

I can't see the point. The clean side hose is always under vacuum so the front valve cover is also always under vacuum, which should prevent this breather from ever opening, and crack case pressure will still go out the clean side hose before going out the breather.

·
Registered
76 Posts
So I clicked the link for the product that has another link for a review by SVT performance.
After reading the review the mfg uses, it sends up all kinds of red flags for me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My overall impression is that it does absolutely nothing. It throws no codes (been on the car for 500 miles for a road trip) and likely has no effect what so ever.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Such as?

I can't see the point. The clean side hose is always under vacuum so the front valve cover is also always under vacuum, which should prevent this breather from ever opening, and crack case pressure will still go out the clean side hose before going out the breather.
Ok here's what I was trying to explain a few posts up. This is from speedperformance site.

The stock positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system on the MZR is known to be problematic even on bone stock cars. Excessive crankcase pressure has been proven to be the #1 cause of the stock turbo beginning to smoke. On higher horsepower cars pushing 25psi or more, the dipstick will push out in order to relieve this pressure which leaves you with oil splattered all over your engine bay. Most oil catch can kits include a check valve to prevent boost from entering the crankcase but this still leaves the problem of a proper exit for all that remaining pressure.

This valve cover breather screws directly in place of the stock oil cap and provides plenty of relief for all that excessive crankcase pressure. It has an integrated baffle and check ball which prevents unmetered air from entering the crankcase at idle.

NOTE: Currently this product is only available to cars which utilize the second generation (genpu) valve cover. A solution for the first generation valve cover will be available soon. This product is not meant to cure problems from worn piston rings or un-sealing valves resulting in excessive crankcase pressure. If your vehicle is experiencing excessive blow-by, you will see oil come out of this filter which indicates a problem. Please do a compression/leak-down test prior to installing this product to ensure your motor is healthy.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
It's a Band-Aid for poorly venting the crankcase pressure through the breather system. On our race cars that have no PCV or crankcase breather we run vacuum pumps properly vent and create a vacuum to help with ring seal. The typical breather cap/filters you see create a vacuum leak in any seal factory system.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
If you have so much blow by that the factory 1/2inch clean side hose cant vent the pressure, you have much bigger issues.

In any case, a proper dual outlet catch can setup is still a much better option imo.

Reactions: Flew and Donjohnk

·
Registered
176 Posts
;)I have some muffler bearings for sale if anyone wants some???

·
Registered
65 Posts
Oh jeeze.. ok definitely need a breather there too :p

·
Registered
53 Posts
Okay I see this option is not popular here.

I have been running a CFM breather on my FoST for 5 yrs, along with a catch can on the dirty side between the PCV and intake manifold.

Prior to running one, I had a small oil slick in my intake from the valve cover vent just before the turbo inlet, stock tune with no mods other than the catch can. After installing, no more oil slick.

Not stock anymore, but checked periodically it continues to work well. I clean the breather a few times a season, around whenever I drain the can.

So planning to get one of these and run it with the JLT can, because I’ve had a decent experience with it. Just my $0.02

Cheers

1 - 20 of 26 Posts