Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have reposted this to assist fellow sport owners with the CP-e fmic or those sitting on the fence.

This FMIC is a big bad piece of work but if you have the ACC..it was a downer.
There is a workaround.
I had some time to think over the ACC relocate.
Once I got over the inability to hide it behind the bumper cover due to a lack of room.

I took the OEM bracket, cut the long support extension off the back and a small mounting tab off the top.
These can be easily rewelded if I need to go back to stock.
By using the ball and socket OEM bracket you have the ability to adjust the vertical plane through the grill.

It then can be moved up into the right side of the grill and mounted with some regular stainless hardware.
Main concern but easy enough to do is mounting it square to the front of the car.
This is or does not look Mickey Mouse. It looks like it belonged there.

The wiring can be rerouted to the new location with simply pulling off a couple Christmas tree pins.

Obviously, this is not an Ford approved relocate (that will never happen) but it has served me perfectly without any issue.
Once you have the bumper cover off. This took less than an hour from start to finish.

Sorry, no other pics.
The pictures with cover off is from an much earlier install of the Velossatech Big Mouth (Pre-FMIC install) but I included it for a reference.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
Just so everyone keeps this in mind, the ACC module is calibrated individually on each car and programmed to operate in the factory low-down factory location in the Fusion. It is intended to be mounted at a specific angle and position on the vehicle, and that is taken into account when the car operates and calculates obstacle's positions around the vehicle.

It may not give a warning message when moved here, but it may also act differently in an emergency situation. I don't mean to seem like a downer but remember, this is a part of the car's systems!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Just so everyone keeps this in mind, the ACC module is calibrated individually on each car and programmed to operate in the factory low-down factory location in the Fusion. It is intended to be mounted at a specific angle and position on the vehicle, and that is taken into account when the car operates and calculates obstacle's positions around the vehicle.

It may not give a warning message when moved here, but it may also act differently in an emergency situation. I don't mean to seem like a downer but remember, this is a part of the car's systems!

Hi gang. What he said. 0:)

Reactions: DaMiFo

·
Registered
3 Posts
It then can be moved up into the right side of the grill and mounted with some regular stainless hardware.
Main concern but easy enough to do is mounting it square to the front of the car.
This is or does not look Mickey Mouse. It looks like it belonged there.

The wiring can be rerouted to the new location with simply pulling off a couple Christmas tree pins.

Obviously, this is not an Ford approved relocate (that will never happen) but it has served me perfectly without any issue.
Once you have the bumper cover off. This took less than an hour from start to finish.
Do you have any other pictures of the ACC unit after the relocation (with the grill off)? Does it work, or are you just essentially hanging it there to avoid notifications?

Thinking about doing this with my unit, I also saw your other post in another thread about the engine heater plug. I live in US but my car was leased to someone in Canada before me.

Since I am an EE who works for an Automotive supplier, I plan on possibly drilling holes and re-wiring/making new harnesses to achieve this.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Not a harness issue but you might be able to put a very low profile 90 degree plug on the end instead of the current straight in plug. That would give you the added clearance

1 - 5 of 5 Posts