Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

Registered
Somebody get these two a room.馃ぃ.
Man, I wish I had half the knowledge @metroplex and @bbf2530 have about mechanics. I'm not being sarcastic!
Hi maydk. Now that was funny! :ROFLMAO:

But...would you please write me a note I can give to my wife, letting her know I may possibly know something?

Good luck. ;)

Registered
Somebody get these two a room.馃ぃ.
Man, I wish I had half the knowledge @metroplex and @bbf2530 have about mechanics. I'm not being sarcastic!
@maydk65 Yep that's exactly what I was thinking with regard to the level of knowledge those two have. All I can do is feel really lucky to even be in the same forum with folks like that. There are a lot of you on here though, who I just think are incredibly skilled. Crazy smart, and I've spent a lot of time around some really smart folks but the level of mechanical skills on this forum never ceases to amaze me.

Registered
I thought i should mention when I had my 2014 SHO the Ford specification for the 5W30 oil called basically for a non synthetic 5W30. So non synthetic Pennzoil 5W30 would meet the specificstion. If I followed the oil life monitor itd end up with 9000 mile oil change intervals which I followed for warranty purposes. The UOAs came back not looking so good. Sometimes you have to use a bit of logic and do your own research.

GMs GTDI engines still follow the same laws of physics as Fords GTDI engines and often GM engines produce more power for the same displacement like their 2.0 LNF LTG and LSY engines edge past Fords coolant drinking 2.0 EcoBoost. The major differences would be the PCV designs and I think GM often has a different idea possibly better. As an aside Their trans tuning on the same Joint Venture transmissions is often much better with more complex tuning strategies. 6F55 vs their 6T or the Ford 10R80 vs their 10L80. I've only heard praise for the GM 10 speed and mixed feedback on Fords 10 speed.

So when buying oil for my Cobalt LNF I'd look at the spec 4718M and now Dexos 1 Gen 2, itd often meet or exceed whatever Ford calls for, plus API and ILSAC are often more important.

Registered
I thought i should mention when I had my 2014 SHO the Ford specification for the 5W30 oil called basically for a non synthetic 5W30. So non synthetic Pennzoil 5W30 would meet the specificstion. If I followed the oil life monitor itd end up with 9000 mile oil change intervals which I followed for warranty purposes. The UOAs came back not looking so good. Sometimes you have to use a bit of logic and do your own research.

GMs GTDI engines still follow the same laws of physics as Fords GTDI engines and often GM engines produce more power for the same displacement like their 2.0 LNF LTG and LSY engines edge past Fords coolant drinking 2.0 EcoBoost. The major differences would be the PCV designs and I think GM often has a different idea possibly better. As an aside Their trans tuning on the same Joint Venture transmissions is often much better with more complex tuning strategies. 6F55 vs their 6T or the Ford 10R80 vs their 10L80. I've only heard praise for the GM 10 speed and mixed feedback on Fords 10 speed.

So when buying oil for my Cobalt LNF I'd look at the spec 4718M and now Dexos 1 Gen 2, itd often meet or exceed whatever Ford calls for, plus API and ILSAC are often more important.
Hi metroplex. Although I am sure neither of us wants to share that room together, we can still perform this dance again and again and the result will remain the same.

I have no idea why you seem to have such a vested interest in convincing people to use an oil that "maybe does"/maybe does not meet the Ford specification. There is no reason for a Fusion Sport owner to use a GM spec oil that you use in your Chevy Cobalt, if that oil does not also meet the Ford specs.
Your Chevy Cobalt is not a Fusion Sport and is not warrantied by Ford.
I would not go to a Chevy Cobalt forum and tell them to use a Ford Fusion Sport/Ford spec oil, instead of the GM spec. That would certainly be foolish.

The short story is: I am trying to protect my fellow forum members warranty coverage. Both their New Vehicle Bumper to Bumper and Powertrain warranties. I am truly not sure why you keep arguing for them to do things that may jeopardize their warranty. And for absolutely no benefit.

The far longer story: First: Ford warranties our vehicles and requires a particular oil specification.There is no reason not to follow the Ford specs. No cost benefit. No engine life benefit, etc. etc.
The only variable is that following your advice can possibly lead to warranty claims denials for any engine/engine oil related warranty issues. Yes, it is a slim chance of this happening, since oil related issues are rare. But it is not very bright to take the chance when there is no benefit.

On that related note, please name one benefit that ignoring the Ford specification, and using a GM spec oil, would give any Fusion Sport owner? Absolutely none. Zero. Zilch. Only a sandwich in a backpack at 10,000 feet (for those confused by that reference, watch the Tracy Morgan video linked to earlier in this thread...lololol).

Ford and Lincoln vehicles, including your beloved 2014 SHO, come with Motorcraft Synthetic Blend factory fill, not "non-synthetic". And if a "non-synthetic oil" meets the Ford specification of WSS-M2C945-B1, then it meets the Ford specification. That was already discussed and covered. And it is also irrelevant. Because synthetic blend and full synthetic oils are the predominant automotive oils on the shelves nowadays.
And that fact also applies to any GM specification oils. If any "non-synthetic oil" meets the GM specifications, then it meets the specifications and can be used. However, it is irrelevant.

Now you are bringing up GM vehicles,"more power for the same displacement", "PCV designs" and "trans tuning". So lets put this to rest quickly. Any differences in Ford and GM oil specifications have absolutely nothing to do with "more power for the same displacement", "PCV designs", or "trans tuning". What the heck does trans tuning have to do with oil? Is it an irrelevant attempt to say GM is "smarter", so pay attention to their oil recommendations instead of Ford's? That is a ridiculous non-correlation.

And again, your statement that "spec 4718M and now Dexos 1 Gen 2, itd often meet or exceed whatever Ford calls for...", leaves a giant hole as to whether they actually do or do not "...often meet or exceed what Ford calls for...".
Just like in the Tracy Morgan "I'm pretty sure" commercials, following your "often meet" advice may leave a Fusion Sport owner with a sandwich in a backpack at 10,000 feet instead of a parachute, at warranty claims time.
No "I'm pretty sure's" are needed, when we can simply follow the Ford oil specifications and be certain. Once again, why make life harder than it needs to be, for absolutely no benefit.

This is not rocket science. If "...spec 4718M and now Dexos 1 Gen 2..." oils also meet the WSS-M2C945-B1 Ford specification, then the container will state that, and we all can safely use them with no warranty concerns. However, if they do not, then it is not safe to use them come engine trouble warranty claims time.
The specs an oil meets are printed right on the side of the case and/or container. If the GM spec oil do not meet the Ford WSS-M2C945-B1 specification or the latest updated Ford spec (as printed on the containers), then this entire repetitive conversation is silly.

To repeat...There is no reason not to follow the Ford specs. No cost benefit. No engine life benefit, etc. etc. The only variable is that following your advice can possibly lead to a warranty claims denial for any engine/engine oil related warranty issues. Yes, a slim chance, since oil related issues are rare. But it is not very bright to take the chance when there is no benefit.

Therefore, if a Fusion Sport owner cares about their 3 year/36,000 mile New Vehicle and 5 year/60,000 mile Powertrain warranties, the intelligent thing for Ford/Lincoln owners to do would be...Follow the oil specifications that Ford requires (Ford...the company that designed, engineered, manufactured and warranties our vehicles), not GM or any other specifications.

Good luck...again. ;)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts