Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my FFS for about 3 months now. Couple of things that I've noticed are:

1. Sometimes with cruise control on and going down hills it will downshift 2 times and RPMs jump to 3500 just to hold the speed. I've never owned a car that did that before and it kind of surprised me. Once it gets to the bottom of the hill it goes back up to 6th gear. Then going up hills it doesn't shift at all. I assume this is just the turbos kicking in and it doesn't need to downshift.

2. Man does this car heat up!!! I has been like 30 degrees here and the heater works so fast. I can't keep the temp at half heat because I get too hot. Also on these 30 degree days if I turn the temp to the coldest without having the A/C on the air coming out is still about 60 degrees. Whats up with that?

3. Sometimes when I come up and put my hand in the door to unlock it I can see that the center display will say "Ejecting CD" as soon as it unlocks even though I don't have a CD in there. Anyone else have that happen?

There are prob a couple other things I can't remember now. Let me know if anyone has any comments on this or anything else you might have noticed that surprised you

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I go down a big hill on the way to work and it downshifts once or twice even w/o the cruise on. I think if you are going up a steep enough hill or have it in Sport mode it would downshift. The Sport mode is kinda like a heavily modified "hill assist".

Ecoboosts are well known to run hot. It's just their nature. I'm surprised you don't get any cooler air with the temp turned down. I haven't tried but I haven't had it cold enough to go past top center much. I usually leave it there with the fan on low. Could be heat sink or air running through the heater core.

The CD thing is weird. A couple guys in the Battery Thread mentioned something on that order.

Mine only does the downshift with cruise on (no sport mode). Haven't gotten it to do it without yet. Thanks for the tip on the battery thread. I'll check it out

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don't like the way the controls work for heat, a/c, and auto mode. Really hard to regulate it gets really hot fast true. Also my drivers door speaker sounds bad always when someone is talking sounds raspy like a blown speaker. Lastly my drivers seat makes a ton of noise like clunkyspring noices. But that's it. Still really love this car!

·
Registered
402 Posts
When I hit max defrost it cranks the temp up to 85. When I unselect the max defrost it turns off, but the temp in the cabin is still set to 85. So I have to tap it back own to 65 or something because even 70ish it feels like I'm being burned with a hairdryer.

Also, it is impossible to lock your keys in the trunk. The latch won't engage when keys are in the trunk. At first I thought this was dumb considering I can use a code to get in the car and I'd rather have keys in the trunk if I am purposely leaving them in the car than in the cabin. But with the battery issues, I'm becoming more happy with that "feature".

Reactions: elronino

·
Registered
529 Posts
Also, it is impossible to lock your keys in the trunk. The latch won't engage when keys are in the trunk. At first I thought this was dumb considering I can use a code to get in the car and I'd rather have keys in the trunk if I am purposely leaving them in the car than in the cabin. But with the battery issues, I'm becoming more happy with that "feature".
I actually got frustrated with this... I was downtown going to a game and didn't want to bring my key into the stadium or the local establishment afterwards. I spent about 5 minutes trying to slam the trunk closed and funking with it before I just took the key with me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Interesting. I was thinking I'm just a very warm person. Heh. The warmest I can go with the interior temp is 70, but I have to turn it back down to around 60 in a couple minutes. Thank goodness for dual zone climate, since my wife always wants it on 90.

Haven't used the cruise yet. Kinda hard to living in NJ. Maybe a trip to PA or upstate NY is in order...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Thank goodness for dual zone climate, since my wife always wants it on 90.
My wife does the same thing, and then it feels as if I have a 20,000 BTU propane heater 3" from my face. I actually have swatted her hands away from the climate controls.... I'm sure you can figure out how that went over :|
Haven't used the cruise yet. Kinda hard to living in NJ. Maybe a trip to PA or upstate NY is in order...
Are you equipped with Adaptive cruise? And if you haven't done so, get out to the rural roads and enjoy the blurry trees

·
Registered
88 Posts
Are you equipped with Adaptive cruise? And if you haven't done so, get out to the rural roads and enjoy the blurry trees
Sadly, no. My only adaptive cruise is my right foot. Working 12 hours a day doesn't leave much time during the week for anything more than commuting. However, perhaps I'll be the one to insist on going antique shopping out in the sticks this Sunday. Lots of two lane twisties up in Northwestern NJ...

·
Registered
164 Posts
My '14 with the 2.0 would shift down as many as 3 times to hold speed on the highway. I've noticed the 2.7 has a lot more resistance so it doesn't downshift as often.

·
Registered
624 Posts
It seems to me that the hvac heating has just become overzealous as its gotten colder. Earlier in the season when temps were in say the 50's I could set the temp at 68 or even 70 if I was chilled in the morning and it would be fine. But lately it seems that the same setting is melting my face Raiders of the lost Ark style. I wonder if it is related to the hvac system reading the outside temp and trying to compensate.

Having only had a couple cars with hvac systems where you set a temperature as opposed to moving a switch or dial towards red/blue I must say I've been disappointed with such systems. The simpler systems of turning heat up when cold, down when hot just seemed to work better. These newer systems seem to always be too hot or too cold, or take to long to get where you want without completely over shooting my comfort level. I will say that the system in the Sport is quicker to react then my last car with a similar system.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I too felt how hot the car got on one of the first 40*F days. I kept the temp at 68/70* and felt like I has in a dry sauna. Even mentioned it to the dealer to look at.

·
Registered
447 Posts
It seems to me that the hvac heating has just become overzealous as its gotten colder. Earlier in the season when temps were in say the 50's I could set the temp at 68 or even 70 if I was chilled in the morning and it would be fine. But lately it seems that the same setting is melting my face Raiders of the lost Ark style. I wonder if it is related to the hvac system reading the outside temp and trying to compensate.

Having only had a couple cars with hvac systems where you set a temperature as opposed to moving a switch or dial towards red/blue I must say I've been disappointed with such systems. The simpler systems of turning heat up when cold, down when hot just seemed to work better. These newer systems seem to always be too hot or too cold, or take to long to get where you want without completely over shooting my comfort level. I will say that the system in the Sport is quicker to react then my last car with a similar system.
Mine has the basic dials and jobs and hit heats and cools perfectly..

·
Registered
296 Posts

I agree completely. Like the Raiders of the lost Ark reference by the way. And when u have it on auto you can't put it on defrost? Makes no sense.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I agree completely. Like the Raiders of the lost Ark reference by the way. And when u have it on auto you can't put it on defrost? Makes no sense.
I think Auto "knows" when it needs to defrost... maybe? I could be WAY off my rocker though.

I've found, that I need to adjust my vents to not be directly pointed at me. I have also found that on longer drives, the initial FEEL of the temperature is warmer, but adjusts itself down over time. I usually leave the car at 67*, the morning it is really quick to bring the temp up, after about 25-30 minutes, I definitely FEEL the temperature of the air being circulated is cooler than initial.

It's like a house, the ambient room temperature is going to be (or try to be) what you have set at the tstat. If you were to put your hand, foot, or face right over the vent, that air is going to be much warmer than the room. The proximity at which we are to the vents in the vehicle might be one of a contributing factor.

Here's my setup and $.02:
  • Upper vents are directed away from me. and 25% closed
  • Temp is usually 67-69 degrees
  • 90% of the time I'm 100% foot-well when using heat (heat rises). When cooling, I am split between upper and lower vents
  • I defrost only when I need to. Properly regulated interior temperature will eliminate window fog. Should only need this to defrost. Occasionally under rare temp and humidity combinations, defogging is necessary.
  • Fan speed is usually 1 or 2. On startup, I may bump it to 3-4. Anything more than that and you're just blowing cold air around
  • I crack my sunroof (or rear window) if things get a little too toasty.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hold on I need a pen and paper professor. Lol But I am very similar I don't like the heat in my face. And yes it does start to regulate better and hold a temp over a ride.

Reactions: elronino

·
Registered
868 Posts
One thing I didn't notice until I took her home was that only the driver side mirror is auto dimming! Also driver side door speaker rattles bad under hard acceleration in sport mode.

·
Registered
529 Posts
One thing I didn't notice until I took her home was that only the driver side mirror is auto dimming! Also driver side door speaker rattles bad under hard acceleration in sport mode.
I wonder it that has to do with engine sound? It happens ONLY in sport mode?

Hold on I need a pen and paper professor. Lol But I am very similar I don't like the heat in my face. And yes it does start to regulate better and hold a temp over a ride.
There will be a test this Thursday. :nerd:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Mine has the basic dials and jobs and hit heats and cools perfectly..
Technology is great, but sometimes it's still better to go old school. In a home you want a set temperature, but in a car there are too many variables affecting what temperature you desire at a given moment. Old school method of increasing levels of warm or cold air works best. In the car I don't know or care exactly what temperature is going to feel good to me at that moment, if I'm cold I want it warmer and vise versa.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts