Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been lurking for a couple weeks now. Hi. I'm me.

I'm waffling back and forth on whether to buy or not.

Wanting a family hauler that will be fun to drive (2 kids + wife). When I first saw the specs on the car I had to have it. After visiting here I've been a bit turned off by mentions on Ford possibly detuning the car to protect the drivetrain.

What gives? The 0-60 and 1/4 mile times look comparable to a 550i.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welcome, Baconator! Well as a family hauler that's fun to drive, this hits that mark squarely. There are a few choices out there, but 300+hp, awd, great looks, sport handling, excellent infotainment, for <$40k - I don't think there is any other that compare. I don't see how you could go wrong with or without a tune. Wish i had more room in the garage or I'd have one too.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Aside from the AWD performance and handling the technology this car has to offer is amazing. ACC with start/stop, Full collision avoidance, Lane keeping and blind spot detection, Heated AND cooled seats, Active Noise control, Continuously controlled damping suspension , Active Park Assist, Cell phone remote start. You can get a lot car for the dollars. (34k-41k MSRP).
-Lee

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Honestly, if looking at and driving one doesn't convince you, then you shouldn't buy a car because someone else talked you into it. If being face to face with one, and sitting in that drivers seat isn't enough, then I recommend going and finding the car that does make you feel right. Don't let someone else talk you into it. Too much money to spend to not be happy in the long run.

Reactions: 1153

·
Registered
215 Posts
It's true, despite our critiques, I don't think anyone here regrets buying one. While I've been following the issue of possible torque management, it's more about curiousity than any significant disappointment in the car. I think Car and Drivers's test results put to bed the more serious concerns about performance. For me, what really makes the car special is how great an all around vehicle is is for the price. If you just want to cruise, it does a good impersonation of an entry level luxury sedan. If you want to play, it instantly morphs into a beast. As others have said, definitely take one on a long test drive, but try to hide the smile on your face so you can work a better deal. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input.

That's the next step...driving one. Been waiting a couple weeks for dealers around here to get some in.

Is there much benefit to having awd in an area that gets no snow?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I feel weird being such a big advocate for this car, and I don't even own one. I go through a very intense process in vehicle research prior to buying. This thing offers so, so much, and for great value to boot. I ultimately went a different direction because I was offered an unbelievable deal elsewhere, but I will own an FS in the future.

·
Registered
624 Posts
As they others have said, Every owner on here will tell you they love the car and don't regret buying it. Is it perfect, of course not. Just depends on what your looking for, how much you want to spend so on and so on. If you've been lurking here, paying attention to what the Sport owners have been saying, you've got a really good idea of what to expect. If you were in the car with me over the weekend(road rally) you would have already gone to the dealership on Monday to procure your own Sport. But seriously, all you need to know is this....

If you like it during a test drive,
you will LOVE IT after living with it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This car is a blast. A true wolf in sheep's clothing. Blew away some lil punk in a wrx yesterday. Great bang for the buck yet no one would really figure that atta glance. If you like awd and turbo in a somewhat subtle package this is the car for you.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Wanting a family hauler that will be fun to drive (2 kids + wife).
Get out and drive this car. I've been driving mine for two months and love it. My last two cars were a BMW 3 and an Audi Quattro. Many of the complaints you read here are from those who want a track car or a manual. It's not intended to compete with the S4 (I got tired of the maintenance costs on my German cars), and manuals are dead, folks (I drove them for thirty years, and there's a reason Ferrari hasn't built one in five years). The sport is a pleasure to drive (and quiet) on the highway and has more performance than you're likely to ever need on the street. AWD for those of us who drive in the slippery stuff. And whatever you do, get ACC -- it's that good.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks for all the input.

That's the next step...driving one. Been waiting a couple weeks for dealers around here to get some in.

Is there much benefit to having awd in an area that gets no snow?
Without AWD in a car with this much torque, you'd be sitting still for a while smoking the front tires under hard acceleration, and the torque steer would try to take the wheel out of your hands every time. With he Sport, you stomp on it and it just GOES. This is great for your average stoplight drag race, where you can even get the jump on faster cars since this thing launches so well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you're looking for a practical family cars that is less than $40k that is actually big enough to hold a family, this car is a perfect match. it's quiet, roomy, and we'll mannered when it needs to be and beast once you get it going around 35 mph and punch the gas. Also the AWD aspect is so that you don't have terrible torque steer every time you floor it. It's a problem that cars like the Focus ST and Mazdaspeed3 have as a result of being FWD.

Reactions: 1153

·
Registered
158 Posts
For the money -- and the SIZE -- you won't find a comparable car. It's nearly as big as an Audi A6, so you get that benefit you wouldn't with a comparably priced performance vehicle.

As far as AWD - it's driving enjoyment, and safety in rain, too.

I've driven other performance oriented vehicles (think the WRX and similar) and for a family sedan under 40K, nothing comes close to the handling and performance of the Fusion Sport.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool. Can't wait to drive one.

Called the dealer again to day to check. They have one coming in in about a week. The price probably goes up every time I call.

·
Registered
215 Posts

Called the dealer again to day to check. They have one coming in in about a week. The price probably goes up every time I call.
I wish I would have been smoother with the dealer as well. I marched right in as soon as I saw online that a Sport had been delivered, and immediately asked to drive it. I should have acted like I didn't know anything and driven a stripped down SE, and then asked if they had anything with a little more "get up and go."
;)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts

I wish I would have been smoother with the dealer as well. I marched right in as soon as I saw online that a Sport had been delivered, and immediately asked to drive it. I should have acted like I didn't know anything and driven a stripped down SE, and then asked if they had anything with a little more "get up and go."
;)
The idea is, you drive it, and while you are driving it, just pick a few things apart that you don't like. I am not crazy about the interior color, so I made comments about that. I didn't like the feeling of the electronic steering. I felt like there was no resistance compared to my current car. Just point out small things that don't really matter too much to you, but make them think that spending that kind of money on a car that you don't completely love might not be a good idea for you. At that point, ask what kind of deal they can make on the car and then tell them that you have to think about it cause that price is too high for you to pay for a car you don't love. Your other option is get two dealerships fighting over the cost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've been a bad person. :/ I test drove a Chevy SS today (still waiting on the ford dealer to get the Sports in).

I feel like a traitor to the forum....but holy balls, the SS was baddddd.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The SS is an incredible car that I think gets overlooked a lot. My brother just got a 16 6-speed. With the current discount on them, it'd be really hard to pick a loaded fusion. You won't get awd, but power, handling, and sound are on another level. Auto Trans is kind of a weak point in both cars. Just make sure you can actually drive it with the seat belt recall/stop sale.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts