Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I recently just bought a 2018 FFS with about 38k miles. I’ve had it for about 3 weeks, and I’ve noticed that coolant has been disappearing way too quickly. Are there any common coolant leak issues that might be the problem?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hey guys, I recently just bought a 2018 FFS with about 38k miles. I’ve had it for about 3 weeks, and I’ve noticed that coolant has been disappearing way too quickly. Are there any common coolant leak issues that might be the problem?
Hi mvb. Congratulations on your new Fusion and welcome to the Fusion Sport Forums!

You say "2018 FFS". So is it safe to assume you mean the Fusion Sport with the 2.7L V-6? There was a problem with some 2017 model year 2.7L engine blocks, but I believe that was corrected before the 2018 models. I am sure another member will jump in to correct that, if it is incorrect.
So nothing particularly Fusion specific for the 2018 model year. Only the ones common to all vehicles.

How much coolant has the vehicle lost in three weeks? Are you sure it was properly filled in the first place (check the reservoir level when when engine is completely cold).

Is there coolant in the oil? Do you see any standing or leaking fluid in the engine bay, or leaks under the vehicle?
Check on top of the under-body splash shields, since they can hide leaks from getting to the ground. Any white smoke in the exhaust or excessive fluid/coolant leaking from the exhaust system weep holes?

Your 2018 Fusion should still be within the 5 year/60,000 mile Powertrain Warranty. If you feel there is a leak and you can not find a cause, schedule a service appointment.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Hopefully, you can say no to all the scenario's listed by @bbf2530.

@mvb do you hear the sound of running water, coming from behind the infotainment area? If so, you have a low level of coolant. Now, before you laugh at me, here is the deal. When the car is at running temp and the system is pressurized, the coolant reservoir can look full. Once the pressure drops the coolant drops down to its real level. As @bbf2530 has stated above. Check the level when it is cold.
If you are low, while cold, fill reservoir with coolant to the seam just above the "MAX" fill line. Drive the car until you get up to operating temps (mid-line on the temp gauge). Make sure to turn the heat on so that the fluid can run through the heater core and "burp" out any air. Drive for at least 15-20 minutes. Then, when you can let the car get back to "cold", check your reservoir level again. If you are still a little low, fill to the "MAX" line and you should be good to go. You should not hear the running water sound anymore.

Reactions: ColoradoGuy

·
Registered
2019 Ford Fusion Sport
32 Posts
Hopefully, you can say no to all the scenario's listed by @bbf2530.

@mvb do you hear the sound of running water, coming from behind the infotainment area? If so, you have a low level of coolant. Now, before you laugh at me, here is the deal. When the car is at running temp and the system is pressurized, the coolant reservoir can look full. Once the pressure drops the coolant drops down to its real level. As @bbf2530 has stated above. Check the level when it is cold.
If you are low, while cold, fill reservoir with coolant to the seam just above the "MAX" fill line. Drive the car until you get up to operating temps (mid-line on the temp gauge). Make sure to turn the heat on so that the fluid can run through the heater core and "burp" out any air. Drive for at least 15-20 minutes. Then, when you can let the car get back to "cold", check your reservoir level again. If you are still a little low, fill to the "MAX" line and you should be good to go. You should not hear the running water sound anymore.
Curious about this as well as I hear running water being the dash but my coolant level hasn't dropped since I bought the car almost 2 month ago.
When cold after sitting overnight the level on the coolant tank is slightly about the max line... is there air in there somewhere?

I will try running the heater more, I thought it was soothing and part of the noise cancellation 🤣

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
If it were me, I would:

1. Slightly overfill the coolant
2. Warm the car up
3. Put it in sport mode
4. Drive over some rough roads to catch some bumps

That's what I would do.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Curious about this as well as I hear running water being the dash but my coolant level hasn't dropped since I bought the car almost 2 month ago.
When cold after sitting overnight the level on the coolant tank is slightly about the max line... is there air in there somewhere?

I will try running the heater more, I thought it was soothing and part of the noise cancellation 🤣
If you hear the waterfall sound, then yes, you have air in the system.

Reactions: Engineer
1 - 6 of 6 Posts