Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with coilovers on their Sport. I am not happy with the handling of this car, coming from Mustangs I guess I'm used to better handling. I think suspension work would do wonders for this car. If I have to stiffen the chassis that wouldn't be a problem.

I know I'm not going to get Mustang like handling, but, the active suspension does not impress me at all. This thing is 400 lbs heavier than my 16 EBM and it slides around corners much like my 84SVO did until I installed Steeda suspension. When I was 18 I liked the controlled sliding, but now I prefer traction. That's why I'm asking about Coil overs. We have a road here called the snake, and it is perfect for checking suspension changes.

I changed over my wheels, tires, driveshaft and brakes to light weight units and it transformed the handling/acceleration on my 14 GT. (Unfortunately I didn't do a before and after weight comparison) If I can lighten each corner 30 lbs or more, and did other lightening mods, I would transform the handling/acceleration characteristics of this car to something fun.

I am currently researching Carbon Fiber Drive Shafts, I am looking for the OEM driveshaft weight. If anyone knows what it is I would appreciate it. DSS will build one for me.

If anyone has proven weight savings please post for me.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I did a full Steeda suspension under my 2010 Fusion Sport 3.5L (FWD). Not all the parts were branded Steeda, but there was nothing Ford OEM when I was done. It utterly transformed the car. People could not believe the handling. One major issue cropped up for me though; durability. I drive a lot of miles and I had lots of added expense replacing adjustable ball joints, and control arm bushings, along with cost of alignments, not to mention trouble finding alignment shops that could understand how to set it up. I would definitely not do it again to a daily driver, but if I had a low mileage weekend car then I would highly recommend it.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Tires and sway bars (custom modified rear sway bar for me) is all it took to easily get .9+ g's in steady state cornering
and a max of 1.04 so far. Turn in is also 1000 times better. I suspect on a race track, stiffer springs and coilovers would be
better than the big bars, but that just kills the street friendly ride for almost no real advantage @ the 8/10th's most
run on the street.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Coilovers are shocks and springs together. You would not be using the electronic dampers, they would be coming off. Most coilovers can be adjusted for excellent ride quality as well as track use and all adjustments within that range

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Coilovers are shocks and springs together. You would not be using the electronic dampers, they would be coming off. Most coilovers can be adjusted for excellent reide quality as well as track use and all adjustments within that range
"Excellent ride quality" is subjective. Most coilovers you introduce at least some harshness with just the adj tops with bearings instead of bushings.
And spring rates almost always go up, so yes you can "soften" the damping, but it still is not going to be as comfy and quiet as I am now.
I did have some impact harshness from the summer tires, but I still get complments on ride quality, even from my parents who drive "newer" Grand Marquis
every day.

I'm not really sure why this simple combo has transformed this car so well. You still feel the weight at the limit, but just the slight increase in Sport
setting on the stock shocks, this thing has physics bending turn-in, lane change ability, along with very high limits steady state cornering.

Of course if I tracked the car a lot, I'd want the stiffness to be in the springs to keep the suspension independant, but the combo I have now
requires driving like you are on a road course to get to the point I need more. I'd honestly do a big brake kit for tracking first, they are horrible
for road course use, IMO.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Coilovers are shocks and springs together. You would not be using the electronic dampers, they would be coming off. Most coilovers can be adjusted for excellent ride quality as well as track use and all adjustments within that range
Not anymore, some of the major suspension companies (kw suspension) are making coilovers that work with the electronic controls. DSC sports are making replacement tuneable controllers, unfortunately no one is making them for the Fusion Sport.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The days of harshness are gone. You can adjust spring rate very easily with coil overs. That and adjustable shocks can soften up the ride more than stock. My 14GT rides so nice i can hardly believe I have coilovers installed. I hope DSC sports comes up with a package for the FFS, that would be interesting. But, I'm not holding my breath on that, there just aren't enough sports around to justify the R&D involved. One can only hope.

Reactions: ArthurUSCG

·
Registered
223 Posts
"Excellent ride quality" is subjective. Most coilovers you introduce at least some harshness with just the adj tops with bearings instead of bushings.
And spring rates almost always go up, so yes you can "soften" the damping, but it still is not going to be as comfy and quiet as I am now.
I did have some impact harshness from the summer tires, but I still get complments on ride quality, even from my parents who drive "newer" Grand Marquis
every day.

I'm not really sure why this simple combo has transformed this car so well. You still feel the weight at the limit, but just the slight increase in Sport
setting on the stock shocks, this thing has physics bending turn-in, lane change ability, along with very high limits steady state cornering.

Of course if I tracked the car a lot, I'd want the stiffness to be in the springs to keep the suspension independant, but the combo I have now
requires driving like you are on a road course to get to the point I need more. I'd honestly do a big brake kit for tracking first, they are horrible
for road course use, IMO.
Which swaybars, steeda front and rear? I've heard so many saying they make a negligible difference, especially since they were designed for the base model fusions.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Which swaybars, steeda front and rear? I've heard so many saying they make a negligible difference, especially since they were designed for the base model fusions.
Who are the so many? I do think the rear bar should have been larger (which I'm sure you saw me upgrade mine), but it still has a huge affect,
especially on the squishy loose feeling the whole rear susp has with quick lane change type manuevers. Overall the car is much flatter feeling, and
I hate body roll.

Again, on a fast race track, say over 1.5 miles, I think stiffer springs or coil overs might be faster, but on the street, you can't drive like that (not
in most of my driving area, I realize at some points in the country, you probably could). And you shouldn't drive on track with really fast changes
in direction, like you would on the street because it is fun, or you have to avoid potholes. I think this combo produces incredible handling (especially
transient response), with the smallest amount of NVH impacts possible.

My understanding too was that they didn't make a big difference since ours are a little more robust than standard ones. I'd love confirmation of that.
Here is a pretty tight 90 degree corner, logged max of .94G's, nice and flat. This was before I upgraded rear bar, but both bars were in and 245 PS4S tires were the only mods
(and pretty sure I was in Sport).

https://luxjo.supermotors.net/FUSION SPORT/HLT/LapTimerOverlay-20180407-063532.mp4

My all time high so far was 1.05G's

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not anymore, some of the major suspension companies (kw suspension) are making coilovers that work with the electronic controls. DSC sports are making replacement tuneable controllers, unfortunately no one is making them for the Fusion Sport.

Hopefully that will be the case for our cars in the future. But right now we will have to use conventional coilovers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you send a message asking them, hopefully they will see there is desire and they will make them.

MMMM that's actually a good idea You never know
I'm gonna shoot them a email and see if I get any kind of response.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does anyone know how many 17 - 19 sports were produced. That will give us an idea as to whether or not any suspension mfgs will be interested.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Does anyone know how many 17 - 19 sports were produced. That will give us an idea as to whether or not any suspension mfgs will be interested.
Well, Ford was guesstimating the Sport would have a 5% take rate. Here's a link to a site with sales numbers for all Fusions.
Ford Fusion US car sales figures
Did a quick, rough numbers crunch and Ford sold just over 380,000 Fusions for 17 &18, so assuming said 5% take rate means about 19,000 Sports. 2019 is on pace for about 193k sales, so about 9500 Sports. So, 17-19 adds up to about 28,500 Sports. The next question is how many Sports will end up in the hands of us enthusiasts out of the projected 28.5k.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts