Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

Clicking noise from front axle (video inside.) Anything to worry about?

6K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  valerian 
#1 ·

Noticed this while moving my car in neutral a couple inches to move a barbecue grill out of the garage. Occasionally I have to shift the car a foot or so and don’t want to crank it. Noticed this noise the last time I did it. Anyone know what it is?

Reactions: DarkArkAngel
#3 ·
Yeah it’s a weird noise, right? Too many clicks to be a CV joint, only happens in one direction. I’m not terribly worried about it; just hoping it isn’t a bearing or something. The one on the pass side was replaced at 18k miles. 40k on it now.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel
#4 ·
Well i have done the same test tonight when my car was cold.
When the car is moving backward there is no noise but when the car is going forward there is a noise but different. It is as there was a ball bearing that need lubricant.

I already had the same clicking noise before and it was solved under warranty.
The dealer changed the two front CV axle half shaft assemblies.
It was 2 years ago.
Nowadays the noise is coming back when the car is warm.
I am worrying that it is a recurrent issue not solved by Ford.

#6 ·
As it is the second time that which this clicking noise issue I changed of dealer. I went to Galpin that is the largest Ford dealer. Will see what they do.
But the guy that made the paperwork was aware of this issue and told me that I was lucky the noise disappeared during 2 years!
I showed him the workaround with the washer and he told me that it is not approved by Ford.

The repair warranty is one year.
I need to make decision if I keep the car longer or sell it next year.
I do not want to keep a clicking car or to pay every 2 years for 2 front half shaft replacement!

#7 ·
As it is the second time that which this clicking noise issue I changed of dealer. I went to Galpin that is the largest Ford dealer. Will see what they do.
But the guy that made the paperwork was aware of this issue and told me that I was lucky the noise disappeared during 2 years!
I showed him the workaround with the washer and he told me that it is not approved by Ford.

The repair warranty is one year.
I need to make decision if I keep the car longer or sell it next year.
I do not want to keep a clicking car or to pay every 2 years for 2 front half shaft replacement!
If you use stainless steel washers I can't imagine what would go wrong with that. They're not going to warranty that specifically because that hasn't gone through their R&D, but that doesn't mean it won't work, and if they're stainless I really struggle to imagine what could go wrong there.

#10 ·
FYI, I have a 2017 model and replaced both front half shafts in late 2019 due to clicking. It's back this year, starting about 3 months ago after 10k more miles on new half shafts. I'm past the 12 month warranty for previous work and car is out of 36k mile warranty now.

I have 45k miles and am looking at second set of half shafts to "fix" the issue unless someone has actually root caused it and understand why it's failing so early...

#11 ·
This morning I got back the car from the dealer.
They said that they did not heard any abnormal noise!!!
Anyway I have 1 more year of extended warranty.
The noise is only when turning as the video shows it.
But it is not a strong noise as the first time when the new half shaft has been changed.

I would like to add the washer but I did not found one specified for the FFS.
My guess is that there is a design issue in the coupling of the half shaft and the wheel hub assembly.

#13 ·
For sure, 6 months later and a few more thousands miles the noise is back.
I am fed up with the Ford dealers not wanting to do anything about it to fix it definitively.

First step is to buy a stainless steel washer as proposed by Engineer and DarkArkAngel.
Do I need to order a spacer washer F2GZ-7G273-A or DG9Z-7G273-B from Tasca part?
I am still confused about the correct part number.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.