Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced the rear decklid chrome trim bubbling away from the plastic? My 2017 is starting to do this, and I don't believe it is something I did because it usually takes years of exposure to sun/heat/cold for it to happen. I'm very disappointed that this is happening, but not surprised.

·
Registered
183 Posts
i havn't had any problems with my outside chrome, but the chrome trim on my parking brake switch peeled off 2 hours after i bought my car :rolligneyes:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Has anyone experienced the rear decklid chrome trim bubbling away from the plastic? My 2017 is starting to do this, and I don't believe it is something I did because it usually takes years of exposure to sun/heat/cold for it to happen. I'm very disappointed that this is happening, but not surprised.

Hi metroplex. Is your Fusion still within the 3 year/36,000 mile Bumper to Bumper warranty? If it is, the trim would be replaced under warranty.

Keep us updated and good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did anybody with the peeling chrome on their parking brake switch get it replaced under warranty? Just noticed that mine started to flake off as well... :|

·
Registered
257 Posts
I’m not sure if that would be under a bumper to bumper warranty or not but, my parking brake switch chrome trim bubbled and chipped off too.

·
Super Moderator
1,306 Posts
If there's no sign of abuse or damage *like a mark or chip in the plastic) and can clearly be seen that it's peeling as a defect, yes it should be covered under the 3yr 36k mile warranty. Dealer will most likely have to submit a photo claim to Ford and see if they'll approve it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The parking brake chrome on my 2017 has a bubble in it as well, and the underside feels sharp and ragged, almost like a tear strip on a box of aluminum foil. I was going to bring it up the dealer when I bring it in for service. considering I still have the full factory as well as n extended warranty it should be no problem getting it fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I am having the chrome peeling on the ebrack button, i took to the dealership and they didn't fix it, they said not covered, and didn't even offer to repair it, instead sold be me a $240 tire that they said went flat and wasn't repairable, bs. I also asked for the driver seat to be fixed regarding the sliding, also did not fix. Has anyone tried fixing this? I see they sell these chrome pens, anyone think this might be a fix or make it worse. Molotow Liquid Chrome Marker | BLICK Art Materials

·
Registered
368 Posts
So I am having the chrome peeling on the ebrack button, i took to the dealership and they didn't fix it, they said not covered, and didn't even offer to repair it, instead sold be me a $240 tire that they said went flat and wasn't repairable, bs. I also asked for the driver seat to be fixed regarding the sliding, also did not fix. Has anyone tried fixing this? I see they sell these chrome pens, anyone think this might be a fix or make it worse. Molotow Liquid Chrome Marker | BLICK Art Materials
Hi dullish. If your Fusion is still within the 3 year/36,000 mile New Car Bumper to Bumper Warranty, it is certainly covered under warranty. And you do not give any details about what is wrong with your drivers seat ("sliding?"), so what reason did they give for not fixing whatever is wrong with your drivers seat? Both isseus would be covered under the 3 year/36,000 mile New car Warranty.

You need to speak to the Service Manager. If that does not work, then you need to contact Ford Customer Relations and/or have your vehicle service at another Dealership..

The only reason the E-brake button chrome peeling would not be covered under the New Car Warranty is if they are claiming the part was scratched/damaged due to negligence. And same for a malfunctioning seat.

Post back with more information and good luck.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ford interior chrome has been peeling for decades. In my 1981 T-bird, the chrome peeled on the turn signal stalk / horn, shifter lever, etc... and would slice my finger from time to time. Fun times.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. Ford replaced it under warranty. I did find the problem that's causing it, as well, and contacted Ford about it but I have no idea whether they actually cared or not since I am just a customer and have no reason for them to really listen to my thoughts on it.

Anyhow the problem, as I see it, is that the adhesive stops well before the edge of the chrome. So what happens is over time, people touching the switch will hit the edge where there's no adhesive, and the chrome is completely unsupported. This makes it bend, and since it's brittle it will also eventually break. The solution would be a full, even adhesive application at install time.

I can't say this is what is causing all of them to do this but it certainly was the case with mine. If anyone is running into this, check where your adhesive stops. It will probably be well before the edge of the chrome.

I was just glad they replaced mine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts