Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was getting on the express way and there was a tractor trailer in the right lane so naturally I gunned it to merge ahead of him. I had the windows down that the stereo up so I didn't hear the chime, but after I merged I saw the CEL blinking at me. WTF? The car was running fine, I did slow it down a little and was going to take the next exit to see if there was anything odd with it but a few seconds later it went away. I thought it was weird but everything seemed fine. Today some a-hole cuts me off in traffic and I flashed my brights at him, he gets all upset, changes lanes and breaks so I could catch up. He was half hanging out his busted-ass Durango shouting something at me (I had may radio up so I couldn't hear him). I saw an opening and not wanting to be around this douche I punched it and go through the traffic, he got stuck in it. I looked at the dash and my CEL was blinking again. My exit was 1/2 mile away, this time I turned the radio off and closed the moonroof and listened. I could hear nothing out of the ordinary and the car was acting just fine. But this time the light went solid and seconds later I got a notification on my phone from the car.

The CEL is apparently for Excessive Exhaust Temps? I don't have my ODBLink MX with me so I don't know what the code is, but has anyone seen this before? Does this mean the turbos are too hot? My car is turned from Livernois and I am running 93 octane. I searched and it doesn't seem anyone else is posting about this, but I'm sure I might find a few hits once I get home and scan the code, I also haven't been back to my car since this morning. The notification basically told me to take it easy on the car and take it to the dealership. I didn't call Ford yet as I don't know if this was something caused by the tune or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was able to get a reader on it and the code it spit out was P0306 so it seems it was a misfire? Now I'm wondering if I should return to stock or not.

·
Registered
405 Posts
flashing cell always means the engine is miss firing/detonating. I would definitely return it to stock and then test again. Maybe you got some bad gas and you arent running 93 octane. If the engine sounds/runs fine and isnt puffing white smoke it maybe something simple. Otherwise take it to the dealership and hope they dont ask questions.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had the same code fire on me one time under WOT, I am LMS tuned as well. I just re flashed the car and made sure I had good gas.

I only had the issue one time. That was about a month ago now. Car has been great!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
flashing cell always means the engine is miss firing/detonating. I would definitely return it to stock and then test again. Maybe you got some bad gas and you arent running 93 octane. If the engine sounds/runs fine and isnt puffing white smoke it maybe something simple. Otherwise take it to the dealership and hope they dont ask questions.
Before this car I would only ever use regular so I worry that one day my muscle memory would kick in and just select regular. But I'm pretty sure I have only put in 93. It could have been a bad batch though.

I had the same code fire on me one time under WOT, I am LMS tuned as well. I just re flashed the car and made sure I had good gas.

I only had the issue one time. That was about a month ago now. Car has been great!
Thanks, Ill give that a shot.

Have you contacted Livernois and have you made any changes to the car lately besides the tune?
Not yet, I'm going to fire up the tuner to see what version of the 93 tune I have on it and see if there has been an update. The only thing I changed since the tune was removing the chair leg DIY BOV mod and put in the inline VTA BOV spacer.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
As you know the BOV adapter wouldn't cause it. If a reflash doesn't solve it and your not wanting to take it to a dealer, you might swap the coil from cylinder 6 with another to see if the code changes.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Not yet, I'm going to fire up the tuner to see what version of the 93 tune I have on it and see if there has been an update. The only thing I changed since the tune was removing the chair leg DIY BOV mod and put in the inline VTA BOV spacer.
I'm sure this will be a 50/50 split, some people disagreeing and some agreeing with me on this forum, however I did a ton of research on the BOV spacers. Someone on another forum summed it up fairly well. While not necessarily lessening horsepower...

Replacing the factory bypass valve with a BOV could hurt performance in the long run. The ecu is programed to expect that air to be vented back into the system, so by installing a BOV you are taking a system that was designed to function optimally one way, and making it function a different way (not optimally). I don't know if there is any real proof of any problems being caused by running a BOV at this point, but:

1. a BOV costs money
2. it does not improve performance
3. it causes the engine to operate in a way different than it was designed

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm sure this will be a 50/50 split, some people disagreeing and some agreeing with me on this forum, however I did a ton of research on the BOV spacers. Someone on another forum summed it up fairly well. While not necessarily lessening horsepower...

Replacing the factory bypass valve with a BOV could hurt performance in the long run. The ecu is programed to expect that air to be vented back into the system, so by installing a BOV you are taking a system that was designed to function optimally one way, and making it function a different way (not optimally). I don't know if there is any real proof of any problems being caused by running a BOV at this point, but:

1. a BOV costs money
2. it does not improve performance
3. it causes the engine to operate in a way different than it was designed

Just my 2 cents.
I put the BOV spacer in my car last Thursday. I've been running 93 octane from both Speedway and Shell so I doubt I have a bad gas issue. I honestly think my performance has dipped considerably since installing the BOV. I thought I was just imagining things, but it just feels like I don't get thrown back in my seat as much anymore. I could be delusional, but then again my instincts are usually spot on.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
They say the recirculation is supposed to help keep the turbos spooled, but they also say its minimal as far as helping. Im with you and when I was VTA, I thought I lost a little.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yeah. Like I said, it shouldn't *hurt* performance necessarily? But... May do more harm than good considering how many computerized sensors there are now, especially with our twin turbos. Comparing it to a car built in the 90's, even with a Turbo, where there were a lot less sensors monitoring air flow, etc.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The BOV adapter doesnt cost performance, maybe a tiny tiny bit in terms of turbo spool up time, but were talking milliseconds and the turbo still reaches the exact same max boost levels as before. Also the BOV only blows off when you release the throttle, no way would it or could it cause less of a "throw back in the seat feeling" thats all in your head or it was a hotter day.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I put the BOV spacer in my car last Thursday. I've been running 93 octane from both Speedway and Shell so I doubt I have a bad gas issue. I honestly think my performance has dipped considerably since installing the BOV. I thought I was just imagining things, but it just feels like I don't get thrown back in my seat as much anymore. I could be delusional, but then again my instincts are usually spot on.
They say the recirculation is supposed to help keep the turbos spooled, but they also say its minimal as far as helping. Im with you and when I was VTA, I thought I lost a little.
It could be all in the head...

You hear the turbo blow off sounds now, you may be subliminally trying to time your throttle differently. Only way to really know for sure is do a test with the BOV on and off with ear plugs in ;)

·
Registered
405 Posts
lol my wife thought the BOV was stupid and didnt understand why I did it. Then she took my car out for some running around and came back all sheepishly "the psssttttt sound is pretty cool, but only when im driving it".

·
Registered
481 Posts
lol my wife thought the BOV was stupid and didnt understand why I did it. Then she took my car out for some running around and came back all sheepishly "the psssttttt sound is pretty cool, but only when im driving it".
haha my wife didnt understand it either,she never hears it because she always has her music so loud lol

·
Registered
491 Posts
I am getting annoyed with it myself. I expected it to make a quick PSSST sound only after letting off the gas but most of the time there is a just a long slow pssssssssssssssssssssssssssh that makes it sound like there is something wrong with the car...

·
Super Moderator
1,312 Posts
It's been on my car for two weeks now and she hasn't said a word... LOL

Reactions: Rice

·
Registered
481 Posts
It's been on my car for two weeks now and she hasn't said a word... LOL
its a good way to see if shes beating on the car lol, if she asks what the noise is shes having some fun lol.

Reactions: Oreo
1 - 18 of 18 Posts