Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to see who is using what in there FS. Is anyone using CarPlay? I have tried to like it and use it several times but always end up switching back to the native system.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I use carplay everyday now. Come to like it for the most part. Apple Maps really need some work, but they get the job done if you have your addresses programmed in. Other glitches here and there. The voice to action with Siri is way better in carplay and I really like that part of it for texting and sending quick emails on the fly and making calls.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hate it. Always a issue. Can't play stuff from my phone or the maps don't work right just hate it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've never used CarPlay but it's nice to have the option. I am still able to use Siri+Apple Music to make up for the shortcomings of the native system. I am glad I opted for Navigation so I wouldn't have to rely on plugging in my phone to get Maps thru CarPlay. I might start using CarPlay if they enable it over Bluetooth. Having to get my phone out and plug in defeats the purpose in my mind.

Reactions: branden_bruce

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tried CarPlay several times. Personally, I like the native Sync3 interface better. I find Siri sketchy on the best day and am not a fan of how they've decided to represent songs and album art while playing a song. It also kneecaps some display features on the right-sided display screen.

Frustrating or for me is, after several calls to ford tech support, visits to the dealer and their "special tech", soft boots, master resets and phone wiping, I cannot get iOS 10.xx to play nice with Sync3 over USB for music or applink.

I'm hoping there's a resolution eventually, but essentially Sync will recognize the phone for about 35 songs, then it loses the Bility to send commands to it. If I stay connected, I can still play music and control it directly from the phone, but the sync3 screen won't change or update. If I change sources and try to. One back to the phone, it then can't recognize it.

So, while I am not a fan of CarPlay, it's the only way I can use my phone over USB.

·
Super Moderator
1,524 Posts
I use Android Auto if my drive is more than 10 minutes or so. I like SYNC 3 a lot, but I like having more control over Spotify and Maps. I've never had a single issue with it in 6 months / 6,000 miles so far - I just plug my phone in and it just works. I assume CarPlay will be the same - it just gives you more info & options on the screen.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've tried Android Auto, and found it to be more limiting and clunky than the native interface. I'm quite happy with SYNC 3.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One thing that i can not stand is how you can't use the native navigation while using the apple CarPlay. I always have a problem with using the sync and my iPhone through cable but never have a problem using the CarPlay. I think the CarPlay Maps is terrible and prefer the native navigation

Does anyone know of a work around to use the native navigation while using CarPlay?

·
Super Moderator
1,524 Posts
Does anyone know of a work around to use the native navigation while using CarPlay?
Can you use Google Maps if you install it on your iPhone? I use Android so I don't know about CarPlay much, but if I installed other compatible apps it gives me the option to switch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can you use Google Maps if you install it on your iPhone? I use Android so I don't know about CarPlay much, but if I installed other compatible apps it gives me the option to switch.
CarPlay only lets you use Apple's native apps and some third party audio apps for the time being.... So since Apple has Apple Maps, it doesn't allow Google Maps on CarPlay.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I love Android Auto! I didnt get Nav in the car, but Google Maps is on point. I would say about 5 times now Google as found me a faster route home when it noticed an accident on the highway (saving me at least 4-5 hours of sitting in traffic so far). I love how Spotify works in it. My biggest issue is the heated steering wheel.... why do I have a button to turn on drivers assist and not a physical button for the heated steering wheel? The only time I leave Android Auto is to turn it on. Also I hate that the USB ports dont charge the phone faster.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Yeah, I have this issue as well where it's just better to wait until Sync boots up fully before connecting the phone, which is annoying.

Other complaint is that Apple Maps SUCK. Their directory is garbage, so unless where you want to go is VERY popular or in your contact list, it'll probably send you to another state before finding what you want locally.

Oh and it also likes to start playing music WHILE I am on the phone...don't even know how this is possible...music and phone call both through the speakers but somehow the person I'm talking to can't hear the music...LOL yet I can barely hear them talking over the music. Have to manually find the music app responsible and kill it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts