Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have seen a lot of folk on here talking about having issues with the stock battery. If anyone could enlighten me on the specifics of problems you guys are running into. Recently my 2017 sport has been dying VERY randomly and I’m not quite sure I want to blame it on the battery just yet. I’ve noticed most of the time (only recently) when I push to shut off the engine and I’m expecting my memory seat to slide backwards my engine shuts off but my seat does not slide back. If I turn the car back on and off again (sometimes multiple times) I can get the car to slide the seat back and “act” like it fully cuts the power. With that being said there are times my car sat for almost a week or more and starts up fine. Other times after a few hours my car won’t start. Could it be my car isn’t fully cutting the power half the time for some reason? New battery is on the way.. just trying to get ahead of this incase it turns out the problem consists with new braille battery.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Have you had the software update for the CD eject issue? There is a TSB for it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ok so I have seen a lot of folk on here talking about having issues with the stock battery. If anyone could enlighten me on the specifics of problems you guys are running into. Recently my 2017 sport has been dying VERY randomly and I’m not quite sure I want to blame it on the battery just yet. I’ve noticed most of the time (only recently) when I push to shut off the engine and I’m expecting my memory seat to slide backwards my engine shuts off but my seat does not slide back. If I turn the car back on and off again (sometimes multiple times) I can get the car to slide the seat back and “act” like it fully cuts the power. With that being said there are times my car sat for almost a week or more and starts up fine. Other times after a few hours my car won’t start. Could it be my car isn’t fully cutting the power half the time for some reason? New battery is on the way.. just trying to get ahead of this incase it turns out the problem consists with new braille battery.
If you have already done the SSM46433 TSB to fix the battery drain issue, then it's more than likely your battery is slowly dying as it is approaching it's 4 year anniversary. That was my experience when I replaced my factory battery at 43 months.

·
Super Moderator
1,535 Posts
My bet is on a dying battery. 2nd gen Fusions and Edges always have done some super weird stuff when the battery needs replacement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is my first time reading about the cd tray issue as I forgot to mention I’m pretty new to the community. I bought my sport back in September. (Correct me if I’m wrong since I only briefly scanned through the link before replying) I have had a CD in the disk tray since about the day I got the car. I haven’t noticed the cd trying to eject after shutting the car off (I do this a lot since I work DoorDash) there are often times I’m in my car right after it’s been shut off waiting for someone’s pizza and I never hear or notice anything going on there. So I don’t suspect that although I do get the system shutting down screen from time to time. I did read on the same page leaving your fab in the car can caused some problems like this. That seems much more likely since I almost always leave my keys in my car and use the door key pad but still doesn’t explain why the car is so random when dying. I just went out to test the cd tray theory and my car was dead after just 2 hours of sitting. I will definitely update everyone when I put the Braille battery in.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I'm with the folks suggesting the battery is shot. I think you did the right thing getting a new battery. These cars sure do some strange stuff when the battery starts to go. I've had mine stall out, Sync go crazy, all kinds of things when the battery is going out. The car is really solid normally but it's a large rolling computer and it doesn't like having low, unsteady voltage. It makes sense really, you just have to keep in mind they need a good battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm with the folks suggesting the battery is shot. I think you did the right thing getting a new battery. These cars sure do some strange stuff when the battery starts to go. I've had mine stall out, Sync go crazy, all kinds of things when the battery is going out. The car is really solid normally but it's a large rolling computer and it doesn't like having low, unsteady voltage. It makes sense really, you just have to keep in mind they need a good battery.
The more people I talk to; this seems to be the general consensus. The car is doing weird things because the battery is on its way out. Fingers crossed so problems are solved in a few days with the new battery. If not I guess I will have to look into TSB

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
It's not just Fords but GM as well. Friend's 2015 Malibu needed a new battery and her instrument cluster would pop up with the weirdest messages.

On my 2014 SHO when I did replace the battery but didn't know about having to reset the BSM, I'd get the SYNC shut down notification to save power. One time I had to park the car for 3 months due to an emergency and when I got in the car to drive it for the first time in 3 months (no tender/charger installed), the seat was all the way back for some reason.

I've made it a habit of putting a Battery Tender on the battery any time I don't drive the vehicle for more than a week. The few times I forgot to do it or was too lazy, weird things have happened. Also important to use a quality charger/maintainer. I've tried a bunch and the Battery Tender brand is the best as it is the easiest on the battery for long-term (I'm talking leaving it on for years on end) as it keeps it at 13.2 VDC at 50-150 mA to overcome parasitic draw. Some maintainers keep it at 13.7 VDC or 14.2 VDC and that just boils the battery over time.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
82 Posts
I've made it a habit of putting a Battery Tender on the battery any time I don't drive the vehicle for more than a week. The few times I forgot to do it or was too lazy, weird things have happened. Also important to use a quality charger/maintainer. I've tried a bunch and the Battery Tender brand is the best as it is the easiest on the battery for long-term (I'm talking leaving it on for years on end) as it keeps it at 13.2 VDC at 50-150 mA to overcome parasitic draw. Some maintainers keep it at 13.7 VDC or 14.2 VDC and that just boils the battery over time.
Gotta love Battery tenders !

·
Registered
64 Posts
TSB # SSM 46433 fixed it for me. The dealer had never heard of it but I gave them the number from here, they flashed my audio module and the battery has been good ever since(1 year). Battery was dying everytime i let it sit more then 24 hours.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ve taken this opportunity while waiting for my new battery to do some tests and I haven’t heard any noises at all. Has anyone had to resort to this TSB WITHOUT hearing any noises like a cd eject? Car seems to be ok for the last 3 days. It’s crazy how inconsistent these batteries can be.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
So whenever someone asks if they should buy a Fusion Sport, I always ask if they enjoy diagnosing weird issues and leaks. If so, the Fusion Sport is the car for them.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I’ve taken this opportunity while waiting for my new battery to do some tests and I haven’t heard any noises at all. Has anyone had to resort to this TSB WITHOUT hearing any noises like a cd eject? Car seems to be ok for the last 3 days. It’s crazy how inconsistent these batteries can be.
No. It was more a software issue more than hardware. The issue, which was with mine, was that the car was searching for an update file which didn't exist.
If you had the problem your battery would be "flat" every morning or so. What you described is not what was reported with the battery drain issue.

·
Registered
602 Posts
If I remember correctly, to get the CD Eject issue to show its ugly little act, the key fob has to be far enough away from the car so that the car cannot detect it. I know on mine, it usually took about 5 minutes from the time it was unable to detect the fob, for it began the battery drain dance. Once it started the cd player cycled about every 3-4 minutes.

Reactions: ArthurUSCG
1 - 14 of 14 Posts