Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure I spelled that correctly.

Not long ago when electronics became more part of the vehicle operating system, "chips" were available that would enhance performance. Is this system similar to that? Is it a plug and play that you attach the module that they provide and then use the box to program?

I guess what I do not know is and am asking is, once you purchase and receive the unit, do you need to go to a specific location for the install and are there any other changes that need to be made to get the unit to operate properly? My thoughts are if I were to do something like that(purchase the tune kit) I would do it as a 93 octane. So it changes the computer shift points and other things to enhance performance and additionally opens up the motor and adds about 60hp?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
They send you a device that you upload the tune to from a computer. From there you then take the device to your car, plug it in your car, and run it through its process, and your car is tuned.

That is the simplest way to describe it.

·
Registered
161 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I was reading up on tunes in the "other" forum. So I take it that the tune is always present(I know you can de tune and re tune) but I question how the car will drive in the D cycle vs the S cycle. Does it get a little wonky in D and want to perform like S? Be patient here, your dealing with someone who has zero tune experience. Only reason i ask is that my DL, I MUST protect it, I'm a commercial driver so any LEO contact that is adverse for me is a really bad thing. Currently have a spotless driving record since 1984, would like to keep it that way. So really, the tune gives more HP, and the temptation to drive it like I stole it is there as well.

I'm thinking if the tune cleans up the shift points, that alone may make it worth having. On my Mazda, it is an automatic with the slap stick shifter and paddles. Slap stick works great, the paddles suck. So bad that I don't use them as I never know what gear they are going to select when I hit the paddle. I'm sure there is a learning curve for them, but I rode the short bus for that school.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
The tunes will generally clean up shift points, and putting the car in "S" mode will have the same effect that it does now without a tune in your car. Changes suspension and steering characteristics, and will hang in gears longer and drop down gears faster when accelerating.

Yes the extra power makes you want to get on it more, but if you have restraint, then a tune is wonderful. It gets you better mpg ratings, better shifts, and more power.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Ghost, I think you will find that it will come down to personal preference as to which tune you choose. Some folks like Livernois, but, I think the majority of us are using Unleashed by Torrie. There is also, Tuning by James. I recommend
reading up here in the forums on the different options and see what you think and what you will be comfortable with.
I did and chose Unleashed and am very happy with my choice.

·
Super Moderator
1,312 Posts
I agree with maydk65 Torrie @ Unleashed or Tuning by James. There is also Brew City Boost who was contacted by a member of the FB group and they stepped up to provide another option.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
If you are looking to get a tune and do not want to data log ( set it and forget it ) then the Livernois tune is the way to go IMO , if your plan is to start pushing it hard then Unleashed or tuning by James and brew city boost might be the way to go as they can aid in fine tuning the FFS with ease ...

Reactions: JRocZilla2.7

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you are looking to get a tune and do not want to data log ( set it and forget it ) then the Livernois tune is the way to go IMO , if your plan is to start pushing it hard then Unleashed or tuning by James and brew city boost might be the way to go as they can aid in fine tuning the FFS with ease ...
@Ghost this statement is 100%the way to look at it

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have a 2018 should I use the livernoise tuner , I am at 22k
I don't think you should do anything at all to your car until you do a lot more research. Furthermore, I think it's a terrible idea to just do whatever strangers on the internet tell you to do without having a thorough understanding of the subject. Just my two cents.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts