Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, took the car in for it's first (for me, I bought it used)service at about 6k miles... Got the car back, drove over to the car wash place (dealer farms it out now) and washed the car. While waiting to get the car dried, I hear an engine speed dependent tick noise that wasn't there before the service... No oil light, but ran back to the dealer (about a mile) went back in and said "I don't know what happened but that noise wasn't there before" and showed them.

The service manager about pooped his pants right there. I made him check the oil level BEFORE the car left my sight. It was right where it was supposed to be. So they pulled it around back and started to look at it. Looks like one of the cam phasers worked loose. The car has been at the dealership for a WEEK now, and it appears the Cam phaser is on BACK ORDER with no ETA as to when it will be available.

Got a 2016 Expy as a rental (which oddly enough was what I was considering before I found this sport, which had 1k miles and is CPO). It's nice, much faster than my 97 expy, but I REALLY want my car back.

Anybody else have a similar issue? I see mention of the 2.7 in the F150 having this problem, but not much on the fusion.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Where is the noise and cam phaser located? Did it run any different? Curious.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So after 31 days, the car is back. Turns out the cam phaser is a redesigned part and is all metal now. I believe this may be in response to the F-150 timing chain issue in the 2.7. The car is back to the quiet smooth running it was before, and still hauls the mail when you romp on the loud pedal. From the notes there was a spring and a shim that worked loose and caused the issue. From what I understand the head had to come off, as did the timing cover, oil pan and lots of other parts.

The tick noise was VERY VERY noticeable and was RPM dependent - IE it got faster with more rpm/ slower with less.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts