Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I got a questions about the Methanol injection kits.

I was doing so research on other items and a ran across a post that said "My injection kit doesn't kick in until I am pushing above 16/17psi of boost". This caught my attention and for a second I started to rethink the option of running methanol.

I had never thought about how the system actually works just thought is was a continuous mist during operation. Are these kits boost activated and you are only running on Methanol when running hard or WOT? If so how is this accomplished? Pressure sensor installed in a second throttle body port? Tap into factory harness?

Figured I'd as reliable sources as opposed to believing a random post on the internets...

·
Registered
273 Posts
They are adjustable as to when you want them to kick in. They can be set to come on as low as 1 psi of boost. They usually also have a couple light bulbs that come on when it's activated and when your meth tank is almost empty.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yes you can adjust when the meth starts to spray, I dont know of any kits that just spray continuously. Most people running meth get anywhere from 1-3 months out of a bottle depending on driving. Different kits operate in different manners, some will have PSI switches that turn on when a certain about of boost is applied others are based on throttle positioning sensors. If you are serious about getting a meth kit though, dont cheap out. You can find cheapo kits for a couple hundred and expensive kits pushing near a grand. The higher quality kits are definitely worth it, they tend to use higher quality injects and pumps that are able to produce a finer mist of meth which increases efficiency and reduces the chances of washing your cylinder walls if you are spraying too much. If the kit uses a windshield washer pump dont use it. The more expensive kits will also come with fluid sensors to let you know when its time to add more and things like alerts incase its not spraying. In addition to drastically cooling the intake charge, methane is also 120 octane, meaning you can safely up the boost and advance timings even further.

·
Super Moderator
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I hadn't really done any research in this since I have been working on other things. I may have to revisit this option once I finish getting all my other items installed and lined out. My main concerns were constantly having to fill the reservoir all the time, cost of the juice, my wife having to keep an eye on fluid levels and refilling (she's actually really good with stuff just my worry). Also this is my road trip car for work so I could burn 4 tanks of fuel in a week again cost and having to carry extra juice.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I wouldnt worry about mileage and using too much meth. Just get a switch that turns on at like over 15 PSI, thats a lot of accelerating and something that wont happen very often. Once a month, check the fluid and refill it when needed, refilling is as simple as refilling windshield washer fluid. Its really not a big deal, people tend to think meth injection is used at a similar rate to NOS or something else. Even then, as long as you arent running a super aggressive tune, running out of meth wont damage the motor.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
hydro-locking isnt good, i remember reading posts about that on other forums

Reactions: Oreo

·
Registered
273 Posts
Correct, among other things its one more thing that can fail and requires constant maintenance/refills like nitrous. To me it is only a band-aid to a poor (or no) intercooler. If you have room to run an IC you should if you dont then water-meth is a good choice but not my first choice. We use water meth on a lot of centrifugal blown Mustangs because the blower outlet faces directly backwards towards the throttle body and its a pain to run IC's.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What about intercooler+meth?

·
Registered
405 Posts
You cant hyrdo lock an engine with Meth injection unless its seriously malfunctions. It takes a lot of water to hydro lock an engine, way more than what a fine mist can provide. Basically the injector would have to fall apart and just be flushing fluid into the engine.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think the choice for a good W/M system is a must, we tune and install the AEM system with failsafe, it allows two separate outputs 100% user configurable and also uses a true flow meter and graphing based on PSI and flow rate, we normally set them up using the pid to fail to spring pressure and an audible alarm for no flow or fail, haven't had one issue except low fluid but it just drops the high boost and sets off the alarm, I currently have one on my ST Big turbo car, I installed it at 5k miles and now the car is at 47k running E40 and W/M as a daily driver and the car dynoed at 378 whp , if done correctly and tuned correctly it works great, just the pump tune with the W/M is 340whp.

I really think at this time the best thing to do is like Darkstar mentioned is to go with the innercooler upgrade , less things to mess with and no one is offering a W/M tune that I know of yet for the FS, I would have been doing it, if Cobb had gone with the AP and atr but at this time there is not enough demand for it according to the engineer's I hope to see more development on this platform, it could be a very potential powerplant with some modified Precision turbos, innercooler and good tune and W/M should be somewhere in the upper 400 to 500 hp and that might be a bit conservative, I would be weary of the Trans at that point.

Reactions: Donjohnk

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Correct, among other things its one more thing that can fail and requires constant maintenance/refills like nitrous. To me it is only a band-aid to a poor (or no) intercooler. If you have room to run an IC you should if you dont then water-meth is a good choice but not my first choice. We use water meth on a lot of centrifugal blown Mustangs because the blower outlet faces directly backwards towards the throttle body and its a pain to run IC's.

Good looking Fox 5.0 motor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What about intercooler+meth?
Two potential advantages come to mind:

1. Tune for even higher boost and timing that cannot be done without a quality intercooler and methanol injection combined.

2. Consume less methanol injection for a tune that already uses it, but ran on stock/weaker Intercooler. Your methanol injection system won't have to work as hard.

But of course, it all depends on what then becomes the next limiting factor in the whole system.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah no hydro locking with check valves any quality stage 2 will keep that from happening and you can choose when your meth kicks in and cuts off. The main benefit W/M has over just an intercooler upgrade is that it bumps up the octane rating of your fuel, for instance it you're running 93oct fuel a 50/50 blend of W/M will bump your rating close to 115oct. Then theres also the benefit of it steam cleaning your Motor, clean valves spark plugs and piston heads lead to a longer engine life. Of course the best possible combination is an upgraded FMIC and W/M.

When I ran W/M on my Passat I would kick it on at 5PSI and it was a progressive controller meaning that the more boost you made the more Meth would be injected and I would refill my washer bottle every month and a half or so. A 5 Gallon drum of meth ran me $15 and would mix it with 5 gallons of distilled water and that would last me almost 6 months.

·
Super Moderator
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Next question - pre-throttle body or post throttle body for injection nozzle? Why? Advantages/Disadvantages of each.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oreo,

I've got a Stage 2 kit from Snow Performance on my FS. I went with the stage 2 because it's a progressive controller. I start injecting at 6 psi and reach 100% injection at 16 psi. I chose to go post-throttle body so that I did not have to drill into any hoses, I just simply purchased a throttle body spacer with the nozzle port already drilled and tapped in it. I would attach a link for you but I do not have high enough of a post count. You can find it over at Deviant Race Parts website, it is labeled as for use on a 2.7L F150 but it works on our cars also.

I am currently tuned for it from Torrie over at Unleashed. The car is an absolute beast when you tap into the extra octane and cooling. I would highly recommend picking up a W/M system. I was going to post images of my install but once again, post count got me.

·
Super Moderator
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I guess the only advantage to pre throttle body is the ability to "wash" the throttle body other than that NO advantage.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'll be curious to see some verified 1/4 mile times, I know some people have put the FuSport on meth, but no drag results so far.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts