Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Ford’s commitment here only goes so far, as evidenced by the absence of RS or ST badging; Ford Performance’s handling experts didn’t have their way with the car. Steering feel is lackluster and the brake pedal has a long travel and little feedback.
This seems to be spot on. They gave praise to the car where they should, but also didn't hesitate to point out where it fell in priority. I am not arguing that it should have been a flat out race car, but I do think they needed to introduce a model within the Fusion line up that could cover the looming death of the Taurus (and SHO).

I don't doubt that FoMoCo could have threw some extra scrilla at this to shave some weight and introduce a more performance oriented experience. However, I bet budget, vision, and market delivery impacted that decision.

Anyone else surprised by the 5.1 0-60?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
As I have said, that extra 400 lbs of heft really shows in handling and braking, as
the 2.0 beats the Sport in both.

Ford Fusion Titanium 2.0L EcoBoost AWD Test ? Review ? Car and Driver

Blows the doors off the 2.0, and that can sure make you care less about a bit loss in handling and braking. :D
Glad to see they got real close to what is should run, probably a tenth faster on the base model.

Also, very encouraging the observed mpg was the same, which makes sense as the 2.0 feels like it
is laboring many times.

Ford does have an overall porkiness problem. I was psyched for a 15 stang until the 200 lb
weight drop became a 100 lb increase over the 14.

·
Registered
158 Posts
"With the standard Goodyear all-season tires..."

Might the continentals be part of the reason users here are seeing slightly slower times?

·
Registered
529 Posts
"With the standard Goodyear all-season tires..."

Might the continentals be part of the reason users here are seeing slightly slower times?
Could be... but I've yet to have a traction problem. I've launched at ~2500, 2000, 1500 and 0 yielding virtually zero tire break. I've also thrown caution to the wind and have taken this car into s-curves and twisty roads at speeds that made my butt pucker.

I've noticed that it has some initial body roll, but the suspension (when in S mode) corrects that fairly quickly. Braking has been a gripe of mine (quiet gripe that is), as I feel it does take a long pedal stroke and provides a muted feel. I also tend to feel that they heat rather quickly and get a little "soft-ish".

·
Registered
158 Posts
Those 30-50 and 50-70 times are excellent, though. And, that's why I love this car. In real life driving on the freeway I can pass quickly and safely -- and enjoy it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Those 30-50 and 50-70 times are excellent, though. And, that's why I love this car. In real life driving on the freeway I can pass quickly and safely -- and enjoy it.
One of the first write-ups I did highlighted just that aspect. Passing people on the highway is definitely one of the strong points of this car.

·
Registered
158 Posts
One of the first write-ups I did highlighted just that aspect. Passing people on the highway is definitely one of the strong points of this car.
Indeed - people can certainly hate on this car if they want to, there are some legit gripes (a lot of which should be directed at FoMoCo's marketing).

But one can buy a 30K car (with discounts and before TTL) and pop 5K of mods in it and have an everyday driver running mid 4s. Or, people can buy a nicely appointed family sedan for 35K that will go toe to toe with any other sub 50K family sedan on the market, and blow most of them away.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm not so sure there has been a car developed and delivered that has been perfect.... ever. There is always room for improvement, updates, and changes.

At the end of the day, I couldn't be happier with the car. I've waited for WELL over a year since I first heard rumors of this coming. I'm going to nitpick, I'm going to have items on a list that I wish were different and/or better. But, for what I was expecting has been met.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did anyone notice that the handwritten test sheet indicates "Regular" fuel was used?

Other tidbits:
Skidpad performance was "heavily inhibited" assuming that they are referring to intervention from stability control.
Tester notes: "Sport mode does nothing."
Possible acceleration run hint: "Brake torque and release as it hits top RPM"
Also, unlike my friend's car, their test car apparently made it to 130 but not above 140.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ford needs to raid the f150 assembly line for some aluminum body panels.

Anyone else surprised by the 5.1 0-60?
When C&D tests a car, they try multiple launch strategies, and publish the best time. They are more willing to, say, do a wide open throttle brake boost launch. Most owners are hesitant to do the same. C&D also publishes a 5-60 time, they basically let it roll in idle to 5mph and then floor it and start the timer. This removes an aggressive launch from the equation, and gives you a better idea of what the car does when you don't launch it. The sport got a 5.8 5-60, which is closer to some of the timed videos that had little or no brake boosting. The best example of this effect is the WRX: 0-60 in 4.8, 5-60 in 6.3. The wide open throttle clutch dump is what makes the WRX look so good on paper.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The article says that no power is sent to the rear until slippage is detected. Unless the AWD display is totally bogus, this is completely false. I see power being sent to the rear under even moderate acceleration on dry pavement. Under anything approaching quick acceleration, about half the power is shown going to the rear. And did they really test it with 87 octane? That will make a huge difference in any turbocharged car.

The car clearly feels bigger and heavier than my BMW 3 -- probably because it IS bigger and heavier.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The article says that no power is sent to the rear until slippage is detected. Unless the AWD display is totally bogus, this is completely false. I see power being sent to the rear under even moderate acceleration on dry pavement. Under anything approaching quick acceleration, about half the power is shown going to the rear. And did they really test it with 87 octane? That will make a huge difference in any turbocharged car.

The car clearly feels bigger and heavier than my BMW 3 -- probably because it IS bigger and heavier.
I've been meaning to comment in the AWD thing for a while. I've read a lot of critique about the AWD system being slip and grip, fake AWD, etc, but as you say, this system sends power to the rear long before any actual slippage can occur. Maybe that display is calibrated to make us all feel better, but this car never feels like a FWD car when you get on it.

The 87 octane thing is interesting; maybe worth another tenth?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've been meaning to comment in the AWD thing for a while. I've read a lot of critique about the AWD system being slip and grip, fake AWD, etc, but as you say, this system sends power to the rear long before any actual slippage can occur. Maybe that display is calibrated to make us all feel better, but this car never feels like a FWD car when you get on it.
My cars over the past 20 years were an Audi 200 Quattro and a BMW 330xi (yeah, I keep cars that I like a long time). I have no complaints about this setup. I thought I might feel the AWD engaging and disengaging -- I don't.

·
Registered
89 Posts
These are extremely impressive numbers.

Especially for such a heavy car.

To those who own it? When you drive it, does it feel light and nimble or like a boat? I had a Charger RT and despite similar power it drove like a freaking Jet carrier.

·
Registered
140 Posts

To those who own it? When you drive it, does it feel light and nimble or like a boat? I had a Charger RT and despite similar power it drove like a freaking Jet carrier.
Some people are going to disagree with me, and I guess it's a matter of perspective (I just came from a Focus ST, which was VERY nimble)... but the car is a boat. It's not horrible... and using sport mode, it's pretty stable... but I wouldn't trust throwing the car around lol

The brakes are also pretty lousy IMO. Besides an intercooler, I think that will be my next upgrade. With that said, I didn't buy this car for AutoX. I would of kept my Focus if I wanted something you can throw hard into a corner. The Fusion is pretty **** fast in a straight line and super comfortable while doing so

·
Registered
529 Posts

It's a heavy car, but handles well. I've tossed it into some fairly twisty roads without any concern. You can feel some body roll, but it seems to regulate itself fairly quickly. I don't see it blistering an autoX course to the likes of smaller lighter vehicles, but it should perform admirably against similar cars in its class.

I also find the brakes to be decent... pedal travel is long and seems take a lot of pressure to get the car to slow when hurling towards a corner. With that said, It's a stout car.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It's a heavy car, but handles well. With that said, It's a stout car.
Stout is a good word overall. I can't call it a boat; that brings up visions of my father's old Crown Vic, which was a wallowing cushy mess of a ride. This car is very controlled, responsive and solid. You can tell it weighs a lot, but I think it handles itself well all things considered.

I think this depends a lot on what you're used to driving though. I came out of a GMC Acadia as my daily driver, so pretty much anything was going to feel like a good handler after that. I'm sure someone coming out of a Miata will need some adjustment time.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I wouldn't call it a boat but it definitely has some size behind it. And as far as the Brakes go it's stock could use alittle more. But not bad. Overall needs a few things but I knew this, little more more on take off, and overall. Better shifting maybe a brake upgrade later and some normal *** wipers.

Reactions: 1153
1 - 20 of 33 Posts