Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yet another C&D review, but this one is for the 2017 Ford Fusion Sport with summer tires installed and tested. Now just reading the first paragraph alone leaves you wondering what the rest of the article will be like... I'll leave it at that.
When we conducted our first test of Ford’s new-for-2017 Fusion Sport with its 325-hp 2.7-liter turbocharged powerhouse, we expected to take delivery of this muscular family sedan on the model’s available summer tires. That didn’t happen.
Article : 2017 Ford Fusion Sport with Summer Tires Tested ? Review ? Car and Driver

·
Registered
134 Posts
So yet another C&D review, but this one is for the 2017 Ford Fusion Sport with summer tires installed and tested. Now just reading the first paragraph alone leaves you wondering what the rest of the article will be like... I'll leave it at that.

Article : 2017 Ford Fusion Sport with Summer Tires Tested ? Review ? Car and Driver
Negligible differences in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times but the summer tire equipped model seems to die on the top end:

• 0.3 sec slower to 70, 80
  • 0.4 sec slower to 90
  • 0.5 sec slower to 100
  • 1 second slower to 110
  • 1.3 seconds slower to 120
  • a full 2 seconds slower to 130

·
Registered
624 Posts
Negligible differences in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times but the summer tire equipped model seems to die on the top end:

• 0.3 sec slower to 70, 80
  • 0.4 sec slower to 90
  • 0.5 sec slower to 100
  • 1 second slower to 110
  • 1.3 seconds slower to 120
  • a full 2 seconds slower to 130
This could probably be blamed on it just being a different car as much as due to the tires. A lot of us have felt to some degree that the car has gotten a bit quicker over time.
They were tested on different days, on different cars, different weather etc, etc etc. Kind of makes it difficult to infer much of anything.
Except the improved braking,too much of a difference to be just the variables.
Or maybe it's the whole tectonic plate shifting thing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
This could probably be blamed on it just being a different car as much as due to the tires. A lot of us have felt to some degree that the car has gotten a bit quicker over time.
They were tested on different days, on different cars, different weather etc, etc etc. Kind of makes it difficult to infer much of anything.
Except the improved braking,too much of a difference to be just the variables.
Or maybe it's the whole tectonic plate shifting thing.
I agree; there's no good reason why summer tires of the same weight as the all seasons would be slower after launch. I'm betting that real world driving would reveal no noticeable acceleration difference, but significant handling and stopping improvement as the test shows.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'm also not buying their whole wheel slippage made it faster theory either. There is sooo little wheel slippage I don't see how that made a difference one way or another.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I'm also not buying their whole wheel slippage made it faster theory either. There is sooo little wheel slippage I don't see how that made a difference one way or another.
Don't know what they did to it to get that hero run, could have figured out some way to DILYSI and brake torque and get some wheelspin.
Also, I've seen some perf tires that are significantly wider than the same size all seasons. Could have been at least some of the difference
(more drag??).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Don't often get to see repeat road tests of essentially the same car differing by only one factor, in this case tires. Their discussion about the merits of all-weather vs summer tires was also interesting. I always wonder how much difference there can be from one vehicle to another nearly identical car. If nothing else, these tests show that a red car is faster! I wonder how hard it would be to drop a 3.0 from a MKZ into a Sport.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts