Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I've been reading these forums for a while and recently started looking into purchasing a FFS. I wanted to get some opinons on the cars that Ford have bought back and if people think they are worth it. The car I am looking at is very low mileage 2017 with a build date of 8/16. It has had the heads replaced once and engine replaced before it was sent to an auction. Other than that there are no other reported problems on the OASIS report. The engine was replaced in June of 2019. I would think by then the replacement engine would had the problems rectified and "should" be considered reliable. The dealer has paperwork from Ford starting that they extended the warranty another 12/12,000 at the time of sale. Should you steer clear of cars like this or assume that everything is good?

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
It wouldn't bother me IF you can get a really good deal on it. Would also have the dealer include an ESP warranty for piece of mind.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was a question I was going to ask the dealer today. Is the 12/12k warranty on top the remaining 60/60k drivetrain or added to that?

Is the TSB for the bad castings still active or once the engine has been replaced with a newer build they believe that remedies the problem and you cant make a claim anymore?

Ive never dealt with an issue like this through any of the Fords I have owned so I'm trying to make sure i dont get caught in a sitiation.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hello. I've been reading these forums for a while and recently started looking into purchasing a FFS. I wanted to get some opinons on the cars that Ford have bought back and if people think they are worth it. The car I am looking at is very low mileage 2017 with a build date of 8/16. It has had the heads replaced once and engine replaced before it was sent to an auction. Other than that there are no other reported problems on the OASIS report. The engine was replaced in June of 2019. I would think by then the replacement engine would had the problems rectified and "should" be considered reliable. The dealer has paperwork from Ford starting that they extended the warranty another 12/12,000 at the time of sale. Should you steer clear of cars like this or assume that everything is good?
Hi Ekibiogami. You definitely can not assume everything is good. You need to assume this car had a major issue/issues that led to a Lemon Law buyback, and make sure you get the answers to a lot of questions, before you make a decision.

This is the main (but not only) question you need to ask yourself: If they could not properly fix that vehicle before buying it back, why should a prospective buyer believe they were able to fix it correctly after they bought it back and sent it to auction?
No automaker buys back cars willingly, happily or easily. They will do everything they can to fix the vehicle before they will perform a Lemon Law buyback. Therefore, if they could not fix it right before buying it back, a prospective buyer should be very careful and do their homework before purchasing a Lemon Law buyback vehicle.
Also, how many miles are currently on this "low mileage" buyback Fusion?

To answer your warranty question: The 12 month/12,000 mile warranty is not added on top of the 5 year/60,000 mile Powertrain Warranty. Normally, a new Fusion buyer has a 3 year/36,000 mile New Car Bumper to Bumper Warranty and a 5 year/60,000 mile Powertrain Warranty. You will have a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty (we can only assume it is "Bumper to Bumper" at this point).

So at best, from what you describe you will have a 12 month/12,000 mile New Car Bumper to Bumper Warranty and a 5 year/60,000 mile Powertrain Warranty. And be sure to get in writing exactly what that 12 month/12,000 mile Warranty actually covers. It may not be the true equivalent of a real, Factory backed, New Car Bumper to Bumper Warranty.
And keep in mind the 5 year/60,000 mile Powertrain Warranty is from the in-service date of that Fusion. That means the day the first buyer purchased the vehicle. So as an example, if they purchased the vehicle in 10/16, your Powertrain Warranty expires in 10/21 or at 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Not 5 years or 60,000 miles from when you buy it.

Concerning the TSB: It is "active". However, you need to know who is backing the warranties offered with this car and if there are any exclusions (see below). Are the warranties fully backed by Ford and the same as the Factory New Car and Powertrain warranties? Or are the warranties some lesser, watered down variants with many exclusions?

Here are some other important questions you need to know the answers to: Who are you buying this car from? A Ford Dealer? Independent used car dealer? A third party who buys and sells auction vehicles?
Who is backing the 12 month/12,000 mile warranty? Ford or some third party warranty company? If it is not Ford backing it, I would recommend you walk away no matter what.

As Oreo mentioned, you can also negotiate a FordProtect ESP Plan with the purchase. But again, keep in mind the start dates of all Ford Factory backed warranties begin with the date the original buyer purchased the vehicle. Not when you buy it.

Personally I would not purchase a Lemon Law buyback. But that is only my personal opinion/preference. However, you need to determine if you can get satisfactory answers to those questions, can negotiate a price that satisfies you, then do what is best for you.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My Sport was a buyback. The original owner had it at the dealer for some time for Sync issues then shortly after the engine oil burning issue started which was enough to get Ford to buy it back. They replaced the Long-block at 16k miles. It has 43k on it now, mostly tuned, with no major issues 🤞

I had the full service history, took it on an extended test drive, had my local dealer inspect it, and felt like it was solid. Time will tell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those are all very valid point and I appreciate you taking the time to type that all out. I should have explained in a little more detail. From what the OASIS says it looks like it was in the shop on 3 different occasions for engine work in a 1 year period before the car hit 6400 miles. Heads on one, squeaking belt that smoked on another, and the final engine replacement on the last. I assume at this point the car went into litigation and the buyback was started. Looks as if the Ford dealer replaced the engine in June of 19 and sent it to the auction in September of 19. Sat for 3 or 4 months and ended up at the Ford dealer its at now. That leads me to think that it was the 3 engine problems and has since been fixed by the TSB when the engine was swapped out.

The 12/12K warranty copy that I was sent is from Ford signed by a Ford rep that states this extension starts at the time of sale and is bumper to bumper. So the 36/36K warranty has expired but the car still has the 60/60K which 24ish months are remaining. I will definitely look into adding a ESP into the deal.

The car is not local to me so everything that I am discussing with dealer is with the condition that I have stated many times to them that I will be looking it over before anything is finalized.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Those are all very valid point and I appreciate you taking the time to type that all out. I should have explained in a little more detail. From what the OASIS says it looks like it was in the shop on 3 different occasions for engine work in a 1 year period before the car hit 6400 miles. Heads on one, squeaking belt that smoked on another, and the final engine replacement on the last. I assume at this point the car went into litigation and the buyback was started. Looks as if the Ford dealer replaced the engine in June of 19 and sent it to the auction in September of 19. Sat for 3 or 4 months and ended up at the Ford dealer its at now. That leads me to think that it was the 3 engine problems and has since been fixed by the TSB when the engine was swapped out.

The 12/12K warranty copy that I was sent is from Ford signed by a Ford rep that states this extension starts at the time of sale and is bumper to bumper. So the 36/36K warranty has expired but the car still has the 60/60K which 24ish months are remaining. I will definitely look into adding a ESP into the deal.

The car is not local to me so everything that I am discussing with dealer is with the condition that I have stated many times to them that I will be looking it over before anything is finalized.
Hi ekibiogami. You are very welcome. And I did understand what you were stating. ;)
However, we are just a little short on some important dates/information. Do you know the actual "in-service" date of that Fusion? That is the date it was first purchased.

It is important for you to know that date, as the 5 year/60,000 mile Powertrain warranty for that vehicle began on that date. So to use my previous example: If the in-service date was 10/xx/16, your Powertrain Warranty expires on 10/xx/21. That is only ~15 months from now. Not much more than the "Bumper to Bumper Warranty" they are offering you.

If you decide your heart is set on getting that Fusion, I would definitely negotiate a FordProtect ESP warranty being an integral part of the deal, or at least added at a highly discounted rate.

You can research and find low pricing on the various FordProtect ESP Plans here: Save $$ on Genuine Ford Protect Extended Service Plans (ESP)

After rigorous Internet and local Lincoln/Ford Dealer pricing, I have purchased my last 4 ESP Plans from Ziegler. So I know their prices are closest to Dealer cost. "Flood Ford" has always been the next best pricing. Usually within ~$25: Ford Extended Warranty - Geniune Ford ESP Sales

Researching and understanding the various plans and pricing available will help you in your negotiations with the Dealer.

And again, I am not trying to talk you out of purchasing that car. Only trying to help you go in with as much information as possible.

Keep us updated and good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome. Thanks for the great info. I can tell already I made the right choice to go with a Fusion for my next car. Great Community.

·
Super Moderator
1,305 Posts
Definitely don't assume everything is OK - but to be honest that's with any used car. However, a fair amount of owners how had Ford buy back their cars just from these forums did so because they were "tired of dealing with these issues", they "took too long to replace the motor", or they "tried several times and it still has issues" because many dealers just don't care. So, just because it was bought back doesn't mean it's going to keep having issues - the engine/heads were a known fault early on when parts were still in very high demand.

I agree with what Oreo said - if it's a good price, have the dealer throw in a Ford-backed ESP, even something like the "BaseCare" level of warranty that covers the engine, trans, PTU and critical stuff. Don't take a 3rd party warranty, ever.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agreed. I have had amazing luck with all my Fords. Even hydrolocked my 2001 Focus ZX3. Pulled the plugs turned it over sprayed some pentrating oil in cylinders and changed the oil. Still ran like a top. That was back when I ran it at the track and pulled my fastest time in that car 2 months after that. No way I would ever get a 3rd party warranty. Knock on wood. 01 focus, 12 focus, and 17 F150 all daily driven with some "spirited" driving with no issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts