Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked at several threads (there's so much good info here) but haven't been able to get a handle on whether there are certain build date times to avoid, such as the dead battery problem, etc.
I'm looking at new, fully loaded Sport that has a build date, according to the window sticker, of 09-06-16. Should I be cautious? Go for another car built in 2017?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Speedrunner,

You may be better off with a 2017 build because there were issues with the 2016 builds, including the dead battery problem and the cylinder head problem that requires head or engine replacement. See Ford TSB17-0007, it references F150 trucks but affects Fusion Sports and Edge Sports as well. I tried to attach the TSB but it exceeds the size limit on attachments.

Having said that, my sport has a build date of July 2016 and I have not (so far) experienced either issue but am watching the oil consumption closely. I have about 3K miles on it now. Great cars though, I enjoy mine a lot.

Doc

·
Registered
100 Posts
That's weird.....you tell him not to get cars in a certain range, due to problems, yet admit you have a car in that range with no problems???? makes no sense

Any who
My car was built in July 2016 and I have only had the issue with traffic not displaying on my navigation, which was resolved by just downloading an update. I am currently at 14,500 miles.
No power-train/mechanical issues.
No rattling noises.
No wheel shimmy.
No dead battery.
No blank radio screen.
And none of the other random issues i've read on here.

I would take the deal on the car built last year if it has no miles. You're more likely to get a better deal since they need it off the lot. They DO NOT want a car that's been sitting on their lot for a year.
But, to each his own. Do what works for you and your wallet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Weeeeelll kdarbuckle, he asked for an opinion and I gave him one. Mine has no major problems so far but it only has 3,000 miles or so on it and if it did not fall in the dreaded date range I would have a tune on it by now. As it is, I am going to watch it for a while to make sure I don't develop the engine problem at least before doing so. I have had a few weird problems with radio and a noise/vibration I get from the rear end, typically when accelerating out a turn. If I knew then what I know now from this great forum, I would have looked for one that was built after Nov-Dec 2016.

Doc

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
my car was built a couple weeks after that in september, and got it in october, I am currently at over 19K miles, and have not had a single issue with my car and it is tuned

·
Registered
158 Posts
And, my car was built during that "dreaded" range and I've had a full engine replacement and something of a drone at 1700 rpm. Otherwise, it's a great car. Would I pay 3K more for one that didn't have the problems? Probably not.

·
Super Moderator
1,307 Posts
Speedrunner my sport was custom built for me 11/16 and I had the dead battery issue. With that being said we know the resolution and I would make sure they update all the modules before taking delivery. Let them know you are aware of all the issues the 16 year model has had and they need to throw in the ESP Premium Care warranty for your and their peace of mind.

·
Registered
624 Posts
If everything was created equal would I / should you avoid a certain date range? Maybe. But the reality is the specific build date "range" does not mean you'll have any problems with the car. I honesty believe there are many more cars without problems within said dreaded date range than with problems. Dead battery issue was all over the board. If you have zero incentive to buy one from 2016 date range than one not then sure avoid it just to be sure. But if you have reason to want one built in 2016 I don't think it's worth worrying about. But if you can use it as a bargaining chip and get something out of it, I might be inclined to purposely get a 2016 build if I were you. Act like you really like the car, but then pour on the concern and fear of all these problems you've read about and get them to give up as much as you can.

June 2016 build, 13700 miles, no factory updates to anything, no problems.

·
Registered
626 Posts
My car was built October 12th, 2016
So far I had to change the passenger side window module for no communication
and update the ACM due to a dead battery issue.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My car was built on 11-30-16, and the only issue I have had is the dead battery issue. I had the SSM 46433 performed and have not had a problem since that update was performed.

If you get a car in that build date range, just ask the dealer to perform SSM 46433, it takes 15 minutes.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. Given the current price is about $7000 off sticker, I think I will move on it, making sure that the SSM update has been done.
im another (knock on wood) early build date car with no issues.

Reactions: Oreo

·
Registered
556 Posts
$7k off list sounds like a good deal. My car was born 10/16. Had the dead battery prob that was easily resolved by dealer, thanks to all the folks in the forum helping figure it out and pass along the solution. My Fusion is the most trouble-free car I have owned (after a few months and a few thousand miles). It's a hoot to drive and hauls ass!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Is the build date the last six digits (3 groups of two) on the bottom center of the window sticker? I'm guessing because mine says 06/22/2016 and my VIN sticker on the door jamb it says 7/17. Close enough, but is that correct?

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
Is the build date the last six digits (3 groups of two) on the bottom center of the window sticker? I'm guessing because mine says 06/22/2016 and my VIN sticker on the door jamb it says 7/17. Close enough, but is that correct?
No, that's either when the sticker was printed or the car's blend date (depending on which date at the bottom of the sticker you're taking about). The door sticker is the correct month/year. You have to look up your VIN on ETIS to get the actual day (or dealers can look it up, too).

·
Registered
168 Posts
I looked up my VIN on ETIS and it says manufactured on 07/14/2017. but... it also says it's Ford Transit Connect Line. :)
All the other info looks right though, color, engine trans, body, version, so not sure why it's the wrong line.
Anyway, that squares with the VIN sticker, so I'm kinda shocked it's that new, and in fact, when would the transition be to 2018?
I guess the changes are so pretty much non-existent, so I think I got myself a steal!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I looked up my VIN on ETIS and it says manufactured on 07/14/2017. but... it also says it's Ford Transit Connect Line. :)
All the other info looks right though, color, engine trans, body, version, so not sure why it's the wrong line.
Anyway, that squares with the VIN sticker, so I'm kinda shocked it's that new, and in fact, when would the transition be to 2018?
I guess the changes are so pretty much non-existent, so I think I got myself a steal!
All of ours say Transit Connect... don't worry about it.

2018 will probably start soon, or already has, but hasn't started shipping yet.

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
when would the transition be to 2018?
Yup 2018 changes include a new Blue paint. That's it, lol.

2018 will probably start soon, or already has, but hasn't started shipping yet.
2018's are already on lots. Productiom started almost 2 months ago.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Yup 2018 changes include a new Blue paint. That's it, lol.

2018's are already on lots. Productiom started almost 2 months ago.

Haven't seen one in my area, but I guess that doesn't really mean much. Pretty sure I am the only Sport owner in the area as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
Haven't seen one in my area, but I guess that doesn't really mean much. Pretty sure I am the only Sport owner in the area as well.
Lol after a year I've yet to see another Sport on the road as well. I've seen at least 20 Focus RS's. I like the rarity of our cars.

Reactions: mike d
1 - 20 of 20 Posts