Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a little information that I have put together over time and building and testing engines

Ok so to get started, you have to first look at what the platform is? meaning is it turboed? yes next, is it direct injected yep, next, what I am getting at is, it is relevant of the type of engine you have and what effects direct injected engines have with oil being diluted over time from fuel mixing with it and also the turbo plays a part in this with the bearings being cooled and lubricated with engine oil, trust me I have built way to many engines in my time and done extreme testing for failure and pushing them beyond their engineering limits , but learned a great deal on the internal components. My theory and research being direct injected engines that are boosted , need to have the oil changed more often then a naturally aspirated fuel injected type. Also the oil you use can play a major factor in the longevity of the engine, don't use cheap oil in your turbo direct injected engine, unless you just don't like your car! In my ST and now my Fusion I plan on continuing to run Motul 5w40, now that might be an overkill for most but I do track my ST and push it quite hard and want a good oil that I know will work. The main reason that I went into this long about story was because most people just rely on what the dealers tell them, I have to be honest, most of them being the Dealers besides the tech's themselves, are clueless when it comes to the mechanical internal parts of a high performance engine and what to do and not to do. Here is a quick break down of what I have found with these types of engines, on the initial break in, I always change my first oil at or before 3k just to look over the oil and see how much metal deposits are in it, metal deposits are normal to a point in a new engine, some people even have a oil diagnosis to track the wear moving forward, "mostly racing engines" and do a comparison, this is not necessary unless there is substantial metal in the oil. It is mainly important on the first oil change, you can then go to 5-7k on a good fully synthetic oil there after. Most synthetic oils can go 10k as per oil manufactures recommend, but on a turbo, directed engine I don't go much over 5-7k on a oil change, for more information on oil analysis here is a good reading link on this : https://bobistheoilguy.com/ Happy motoring

Reactions: D&D
1 - 1 of 1 Posts