Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Foseal OBDII scan tool and DashCommand app to be able to monitor boost/vacuum. It plugs into the OBD plug on the bottom edge of the instrument panel, just left of the steering column. It's an inexpensive way to add additional engine gauges to the car. Seems to work well, although I wish there was an on-off switch on the OBDII plug because it stays on when the ignition is off.

One thing I noticed is easily the boost kicks in. It doesn't take much throttle before the pressure starts going up. That's probably why the gas mileage isn't that good. The last time I had a turbo car it was easy to stay out of boost to save gas. I'm guessing that the new turbos kick in right away to cut down on lag and that makes it harder to avoid boost mode to get better mileage.

Ken

·
Registered
405 Posts
Actually quit the opposite, the turbos kick on so soon to improve gas mileage. Turbos actually improve the efficiency of the motor, they allow the motor to pull in more air while working less to do so. The act of the engine creating a vacuum to suck in air is actually a power loss to the motor, if you think of the rate at which an engine pulls in air, it takes a good amount of energy to suck in all that air. Because turbos do not create parasitic loss they actually scavenge wasted energy, they are using energy the engine can no longer use to force air into the engine, thereby reducing the amount of energy the engine needs to use to pull in air. The Ecoboost motors are design for fuel efficiency with higher HP numbers, they arent designed to be your typical boosted high HP cars. If Ford really wanted to use turbos to make HP, they would have put much bigger turbos on the engine and been at like 400-500HP. Also not sure what you mean by bad fuel economy. A 2.7L V6 getting almost 30MPG on the highway with 325HP is pretty good to me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Actually quit the opposite, the turbos kick on so soon to improve gas mileage. Turbos actually improve the efficiency of the motor, they allow the motor to pull in more air while working less to do so. The act of the engine creating a vacuum to suck in air is actually a power loss to the motor, if you think of the rate at which an engine pulls in air, it takes a good amount of energy to suck in all that air. Because turbos do not create parasitic loss they actually scavenge wasted energy, they are using energy the engine can no longer use to force air into the engine, thereby reducing the amount of energy the engine needs to use to pull in air. The Ecoboost motors are design for fuel efficiency with higher HP numbers, they arent designed to be your typical boosted high HP cars. If Ford really wanted to use turbos to make HP, they would have put much bigger turbos on the engine and been at like 400-500HP. Also not sure what you mean by bad fuel economy. A 2.7L V6 getting almost 30MPG on the highway with 325HP is pretty good to me.
I agree with that.

But no mater how you slice it, it takes fuel (gasoline) to make HP and Torque. I know there is a lot of info, opinions, etc out there on the www that the EB engines do not have the fuel mileage of a typical I4 or V6 of the similar displacement and such. From what I can tell the typical EB engine has a much flatter torque curve than the 'average I4 or V6 of a similar or larger size engine.
But, facts are facts. If you put your foot in it, there is more power generated at the expense of more fuel.

Case and Point:::
My current '13 Fusion I have (soon to retire) with the 2.0 EB. When my wife drives it and gets about 28MPG on average city/highway. When I drive it I get 24-25MPG on average city/highway. I wonder puts their foot in it more?? I know that answer.

As far as highway mileage for it::: with the cruise at ~82 on the interstate (speed limit is 80 here) it got about 26MPG, less than local city/highway driving. I attribute that to the speed. I not sure how the EPA rating are done but I do not think it is at 80MPH for the highway portion. There is a significant difference in MPG between 65-70 and 80.

Reactions: Kevin74

·
Registered
405 Posts
I agree with that.

But no mater how you slice it, it takes fuel (gasoline) to make HP and Torque. I know there is a lot of info, opinions, etc out there on the www that the EB engines do not have the fuel mileage of a typical I4 or V6 of the similar displacement and such. From what I can tell the typical EB engine has a much flatter torque curve than the 'average I4 or V6 of a similar or larger size engine.
But, facts are facts. If you put your foot in it, there is more power generated at the expense of more fuel.

Case and Point:::
My current '13 Fusion I have (soon to retire) with the 2.0 EB. When my wife drives it and gets about 28MPG on average city/highway. When I drive it I get 24-25MPG on average city/highway. I wonder puts their foot in it more?? I know that answer.

As far as highway mileage for it::: with the cruise at ~82 on the interstate (speed limit is 80 here) it got about 26MPG, less than local city/highway driving. I attribute that to the speed. I not sure how the EPA rating are done but I do not think it is at 80MPH for the highway portion. There is a significant difference in MPG between 65-70 and 80.
Yup, it takes gas to make HP and the air to fuel ratio is generally a static number. However the OP seems to believe that just hitting boost automatically causes a drastic reduction in MPG with the EB motor which just isnt true. Hitting boost in normal driving conditions with the Ecoboost consumes less fuel than if the engine was a NA motor. HP is HP and fuel is fuel. If you want to accelerate at X rate in ford fusion with its current gear ratio, you need to consume X amount of fuel. Since the Turbos actually improve the efficiency of the motor, a turbo fusion accelerating with say 7PSI of boost accelerating at the exact same rate as an NA Fusion, the turbo will actually consume less fuel because the engine doesnt need to work as hard to produce the same amount of power.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a question about the turbo's. Are there 2 turbo's? Is one a small turbo to reduce the lag and a larger one that kicks in once the RPM are up?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts