Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey who can tell me the BMS Reset Procedure for our cars? I'm know we do a learn just by sitting idle but I'm looking for the new battery BMS Reset. If nobody can tell me I'll look to see if I can find it in the Service Manual but I'm not where I can check that right now.

Tried 5 brights flashes then 3 brake taps but it didn't respond w/ the indicator like I expected.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Hey who can tell me the BMS Reset Procedure for our cars? I'm know we do a learn just by sitting idle but I'm looking for the new battery BMS Reset. If nobody can tell me I'll look to see if I can find it in the Service Manual but I'm not where I can check that right now.

Tried 5 brights flashes then 3 brake taps but it didn't respond w/ the indicator like I expected.
Took a look at this some more and it looks like the Service Manual is very insistent that the BMS Reset procedure be performed at battery replacement time. So I am thinking there's probably a very close to 100% chance my Ford dealership did this for me, since I just got a Motorcraft battery put in.

Yes, to those who remember, I had replaced my original Motorcraft (the one that probably sat on the lot for close to a year) with a non-Ford battery even though I'm still under warranty. Now I'm back under a Ford battery warranty, which makes me feel good. But there's more.

What I take from the description in the service manual is that the logic in the BMS that controls the charging system has predetermined tables for certain values based on known battery behavior. So it's crucial that your battery match the expected setting exactly. It's also crucial that the BMS get reset. Ford will almost certainly do this for you (even though the guy at the counter of my Ford dealership didn't even know what a BMS is, I bet the techs doing the work did). Anyhow I think it's a Service procedure in FORScan so you could do it yourself, but my point is make sure your battery type is exactly matching in FORScan, and make sure no matter how the battery gets replaced, that you reset this. It's very important.

As far as the actual procedure, like I said I think there's a FORScan procedure for it because it looked like they were saying in the Service Manual to use IDS to do it. I was thinking there was a non-OBDII-based method, since some Fords have that, but I haven't (so far) figured out what that is.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Took a look at this some more and it looks like the Service Manual is very insistent that the BMS Reset procedure be performed at battery replacement time. So I am thinking there's probably a very close to 100% chance my Ford dealership did this for me, since I just got a Motorcraft battery put in.

Yes, to those who remember, I had replaced my original Motorcraft (the one that probably sat on the lot for close to a year) with a non-Ford battery even though I'm still under warranty. Now I'm back under a Ford battery warranty, which makes me feel good. But there's more.

What I take from the description in the service manual is that the logic in the BMS that controls the charging system has predetermined tables for certain values based on known battery behavior. So it's crucial that your batter match the expected setting exactly. It's also crucial that the BMS get reset. Ford will almost certainly do this for you (even though the guy at the counter of my Ford dealership didn't even know what a BMS is, I bet the techs doing the work did). Anyhow I think it's a Service procedure in FORScan so you could do it yourself, but my point is make sure your battery type is exactly matching in FORScan, and make sure no matter how the battery gets replaced, that you reset this. It's very important.

As far as the actual procedure, like I said I think there's a FORScan procedure for it because it looked like they were saying in the Service Manual to use IDS to do it. I was thinking there was a non-OBDII-based method, since some Fords have that, but I haven't (so far) figured out what that is.
Curious if someone has the procedure. I recently replaced my battery and did not do it/forgot all about it. And I put in a batter with +10% more CCA.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Curious if someone has the procedure. I recently replaced my battery and did not do it/forgot all about it. And I put in a batter with +10% more CCA.
Other than the Ford IDS mentioned in the Service Manual, I think FORScan has something (look under the "wrench" icon I think). I did find this from the Mondeo, but we don't have a "rear fog lamp switch":

1. Get in to the car and do all from points 2 to 4 within 10 seconds.
2. Turn on ignition with engine off (key in position II) .
3. Turn on and of 5 times rear fog light switch .
4. Turn on and of 3 times hazard light switch .
5. If everything goes OK battery light will flash 3 times on cluster within next 15 seconds.

6. Reseting BMS counter finish.

·
Super Moderator
1,417 Posts
Easiest way is to reset it via FORScan. However you must let the car sit for at least 8 hours without touching anything.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Easiest way is to reset it via FORScan. However you must let the car sit for at least 8 hours without touching anything.
Hmmmm. Does that mean my Ford dealer probably didn't do it after all? I was only in there for maybe 45 minutes. So obviously the car didn't sit. Now it's sitting in my garage tonight for 8 hours easily, but that's after I drove it home earlier. You think I should just redo it with Forscan?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hmmmm. Does that mean my Ford dealer probably didn't do it after all? I was only in there for maybe 45 minutes. So obviously the car didn't sit. Now it's sitting in my garage tonight for 8 hours easily, but that's after I drove it home earlier. You think I should just redo it with Forscan?
Hi Engineer. The car only needs to sit undisturbed for 8 hours if we replace the battery ourselves, not if a Ford Dealer replaces it and resets the BMS.

So...If you, I or anyone else replace the battery ourselves and do not have access to Dealership Ford tools (which obviously few to none of us would), or FORScan (which a few do), we can simply let the car sit untouched and undisturbed for 8 hours, and the BMS will reset itself.

If the Dealership replaces the battery and performs their job correctly (which hopefully they would, but never hurts to ask), they would reset the BMS after replacing the battery. In that case, the car does not need to sit for 8 hours.

Hope that explanation makes sense.

The 8 hour stipulation is also explained in the Owners Manual.

Good luck.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Here is the method I found for US model cars.

Method #2 is for those in US markets or without a rear fog lamp switch.
  1. Get in vehicle, close doors
  2. Turn on ignition (but don't start)
  3. Wait for battery light to come up
  4. Flash brights 5 times
  5. Press and release brake 3 times
  6. Battery symbol on dashboard should flash after 5-10 seconds
The same YouTube commenters confirm this process works for the 2011 Edge, 2013 Fusion, 2014 Escape, 2016 Ford F-150, 2016 Edge, and 2017 Explorer, 2017 Ford F`150,

Hope this works

Here is the link to the full article. Ford Battery Management System
Found to be an enlightening read.

·
Super Moderator
1,417 Posts
@Engineer The dealer most likely didn't reset it, they usually don't. However, it's not the end of the world (seriously, please don't stress over it). Plus most people let their cars sit for 8 hours at a time anyways (overnight). It's true that the BMS will "learn" over 8 hours (literally any interaction with the car counts - doors, key fob button press, dookeypad), but that's not a reset.

The BMS usually doesn't interfere, most people don't change it. Remember, the primary goal of the BMS is fuel efficient and knowing when the battery need sxharging and when it doesn't.

Let us know if you try the method #2 posted tho! I've personally seen mixed results from people).

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
If you changed your battery that was on its way out, and didn't reset the BMS, you will get the "Shutting down system to save power" when you turn off the engine and your nav screen/etc shuts off right away. I see hundreds of these posts on the various Ford facebook groups. I know this because I got the message on my 2014 SHO when I replaced the battery and didn't reset the BMS (I didn't realize we had to do this). Also if you charge your battery on the car, put the negative terminal on chassis ground and NOT on the negative battery terminal. There is a hall effect sensor that detects current flow attached to the negative battery cable.

If you don't have FORScan, get it. Owning/working on a Ford and not having FORScan is like not having any ratchets or sockets and wanting to work on your car.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Here is the method I found for US model cars.

Method #2 is for those in US markets or without a rear fog lamp switch.
  1. Get in vehicle, close doors
  2. Turn on ignition (but don't start)
  3. Wait for battery light to come up
  4. Flash brights 5 times
  5. Press and release brake 3 times
  6. Battery symbol on dashboard should flash after 5-10 seconds
The same YouTube commenters confirm this process works for the 2011 Edge, 2013 Fusion, 2014 Escape, 2016 Ford F-150, 2016 Edge, and 2017 Explorer, 2017 Ford F`150,

Hope this works

Here is the link to the full article. Ford Battery Management System
Found to be an enlightening read.
Above worked for me - thank you!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Does that method reset the age of the battery (days in service)? It's probably not an important setting but it is cool to have, just like an engine hour meter.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does that method reset the age of the battery (days in service)? It's probably not an important setting but it is cool to have, just like an engine hour meter.
I don't remember where I read this, but yes the other day I did read that the BMS Reset procedure does reset the days in service counter used for battery aging.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I don't remember where I read this, but yes the other day I did read that the BMS Reset procedure does reset the days in service counter used for battery aging.
The method with the brake lights and high beams? Or the method with FORScan or Ford's IDS? With FORScan it works like IDS and resets everything. I wasn't sure about the method described above with the high beams and brake lights.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Above worked for me - thank you!
Success! The US procedure @maydk65 posted above just worked on my car as well. To anyone who tries this and it doesn't work at first, make sure your parking brake is off before you start the procedure. I always use my parking brake when parking, so mine was on, and it was interfering with the procedure. Once I disengaged it, then started over, it worked perfectly.

Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The method with the brake lights and high beams? Or the method with FORScan or Ford's IDS? With FORScan it works like IDS and resets everything. I wasn't sure about the method described above with the high beams and brake lights.
My impression was the same routine was kicked off inside the modules either way, but maybe somebody else who knows more about that can tell us. @DaMiFo do you know if the same routine is run whether someone uses the method with the brights and the brake taps, vs kicking it off via OBDII?

·
Super Moderator
1,417 Posts
I'm not 100% sure about this particular one, but yeah it should be the same thing. Procedures like that (there's also ones for the rear parking brake maintenance mode, TPMS reset, etc.) are there for people/shops who don't have the scan tools, so they typically do the exact same thing as IDS but are just a little harder to initiate. I don't see why the BMS reset would be different than other procedures.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts