Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Talked with James for the first time today. Sounds like he built the base tune for a 3.0 swap (maybe Enzo?) and that tune could be used as a starting point for my car. He is actually putting a 3.0 in Marcelinos FFS right now and obviously tuned his own 3.0MKZ. Torrie said something similar, that he got a 3.0 swap up and running but not finished and would have to assemble a tune for my car. I’ve had nothing but great experience with Torrie but it kinda feels like James has a bit more experience with the 3.0 at this time but I’m open to suggestion.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Looking at the factory tune, the 5-6/6-5 criss-crosses at mid/part-throttle in the 48-70 mph range (actually uses OSS in the table but I roughly translated to speed). There's only one area in the 4-5/5-4 that crosses.
So is there a fix for this that could be written into a tune? No idea how that works.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The tuner just has to make sure the shift schedules are right and don’t cross. A good start for the 3.0 tune would be the base MKZ or Conti 3.0 tune. Those are hard to find.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just my $0.02, my ffs is stock tune afaik, at least I haven't tuned it... yet..., and mine has also hunted gears like in the above video. Usually around 60-80 mph and it does the same thing. Usually the flow is cruising highway speeds in 6th gear -> WOT -> immediate downshift (gear 4? i think, not totally sure, normal behavior as I am demanding power) -> upshift (gear 5, where it should be shifting up permanently, for about 1/4 second) -> downshift (gear 4, for about 1/4 second) -> upshift gear(5) -> then it is fine until I am off WOT. Its an occasional thing, but figured I would just add my experience as I also see it in stock form.
Good info to have that it can happen on a stock tune as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Ford must have lost their good power train tuners. Like I said I had that problem on my Explorer with the hunting on freeway speeds even with cruise control. Had to be in specific conditions though.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ford must have lost their good power train tuners. Like I said I had that problem on my Explorer with the hunting on freeway speeds even with cruise control. Had to be in specific conditions though.
All the good tuners probably moved over to Ford Performance lol

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
LOL or they got poached to GM. I haven't heard anything really bad about their 10L80 even on the Camaro ZL1, but Explorer 10R60s are blowing up left and right on the Facebook groups. There are so many buy backs on that group it isn't even funny anymore. I hope they fix it by the time for the new Bronco but who am I kidding. It's Ford. LOL.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
level I had the unleashed E30 tune when my trans was acting up

Reactions: LeVeL

·
Registered
706 Posts
The tuner just has to make sure the shift schedules are right and don’t cross. A good start for the 3.0 tune would be the base MKZ or Conti 3.0 tune. Those are hard to find.
Next time Paul stops by I'm gonna see if the MKZ is here in town or down in Florida. If its here in town I might be able to get him to stop by with it and get a read off it. Be nice too see how things are with it compared to the 2.7.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Next time Paul stops by I'm gonna see if the MKZ is here in town or down in Florida. If its here in town I might be able to get him to stop by with it and get a read off it. Be nice too see how things are with it compared to the 2.7.
I have no plans for an engine swap, but ever since I got HP Tuners I've wanted to get a look at a stock MKZ file. I don't think there are any on the site, and nobody really shares much anyway. But that would be really interesting (assuming you wanted to post it).

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
One thing I noticed since the beginning is that Ford tuners are highly secretive and rarely share anything. GM tuners seem to be much more open maybe depending on platform. The Cobalt SS turbo had like half a dozen tuning guides and lots of guys helping with tutorials and suggestions. EcoBoost support was an absolute desert at first.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Does GM allow tuners more access to the cars' systems? I know Ford doesn't.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Something like Forscan doesn’t exist for GM s Ford has that going for them. As for HPtuners the GM trans tuning is complex. The same trans on a GM as a Ford are tuned very differently. Friends Malibu has 6T70 similar or same as 6F55 and the tables and schedules are not interchangeable. There’s no sport mode on the Gm but something called performance shift mode that is activated when you drive and corner aggressively. Otherwise there’s no way to manually activate it. GM tuned their 10L80 for 125ms shifts meanwhile the Ford 10R60 is a rattling bucket of bolts that fail very easily on the new Explorer. Can’t believe the Bronco is getting the same transmission. At least the 10R80 isn’t failing at the same level as the 10R60.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
One thing I noticed since the beginning is that Ford tuners are highly secretive and rarely share anything. GM tuners seem to be much more open maybe depending on platform. The Cobalt SS turbo had like half a dozen tuning guides and lots of guys helping with tutorials and suggestions. EcoBoost support was an absolute desert at first.
Yeah I agree completely @metroplex . There aren't many folks on there I see sharing EcoBoost tuning info, and at least two of them are right here on this forum.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Paul stopped by this morning to pick up his dad's head light, said the car is in Florida, but will be back up in here in two or three weeks.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Oh and I see Metro posted on the board about wanting a stock file, see if anyone coughs up one, I,m not holding my breath though. The board has been kinda dead the past few weeks, at least for as the Eco and Ford trans forums go.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I just sent Metro my stock file

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I just sent Metro my stock file
I was actually looking for a stock read on the MKZ/Conti 3.0, those are like unicorns. People that have those cars either don't have the ability to pull the base read or don't want to, or aren't tuning them.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I moved over to the body shop side of the dealer and when one comes I will let you know , I keep my MPVI2 at work

21 - 40 of 75 Posts