Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How many people have swapped a 3.0?
Enzo and Colin Bert (an Edge) are the only I know. Colin is tuned by ZFG and I think Enzo is tuned by Unleashed.

I blew the side out of my block last week. E50/WMI tune... I had detonation damage to my plugs several months ago and loaded a less aggressive tune but apparently it wasn’t conservative enough.
I still don’t understand why no knock was detected with either incident. I also think the transmission gear searching had something to do with it since it did that right when it blew.

Anyway, it sounds like everything bolts up fine but I’m trying to gather as much info as possible regarding tuning the swap and any info is appreciated.

Enzo...YOHB😂
I messaged you on FB. Any advice from your end regarding tune would be awesome.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Absolutely interested in every detail of this!! Please share!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
When your trans was hunting, was it near the revlimiter/shift point? Reason I ask is that when there's a misfire, it skips the shift point on mine and bangs off that limiter or the revlimiter. I got a Ford Pass notification of a misfire, and then further research showed if it gets bad enough I get a pending DTC or Mode 6 OBD data shows lots of misfires. Usually cylinders 2, 4, or 6. This may be totally unrelated but I thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Looks like shift schedules might be crossed for up and downshifts? Did you load a new tune when this happened or has it always been there?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like shift schedules might be crossed for up and downshifts? Did you load a new tune when this happened or has it always been there?
It started months ago... maybe even a year. It didn’t do it w stock tune. But I don’t know if that was directly a tune issue or indirectly just the tranny not being able handle the extra power provided by the tune.
Either way I’m putting in a new tranny with the engine.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
tough break hootushead , I spoke with Enzo about the tuning also and he said it was James Gordon who helped him with the swap tuning
my car was doing the same thing with the transmission shifting issue when I had it tuned i removed the tune and no more issues

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tough break hootushead , I spoke with Enzo about the tuning also and he said it was James Gordon who helped him with the swap tuning
my car was doing the same thing with the transmission shifting issue when I had it tuned i removed the tune and no more issues
Thanks for the info and good choice on going stock when things started to get dicey.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
What tune was it? Did you have other mods at the time?
So, after my first incident with detonation damage to my spark plugs, I went back to stock and had no shifting issues. I got the compression checked and everything seemed fine so I tuned to 93 and the transmission still behaved. I missed the power and loaded a “more conservative” E50 tune with no issues. I’m guessing 1-2 months ago I loaded a step more aggressive tune. That brings us to the current situation. I know... I’m an idiot... I got complacent.

·
Registered
756 Posts
You’re not an idiot. Don’t be too hard on yourself; you’re not the only person who would have done what you did.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
2017 Shadow Black Ford Fusion Sport
65 Posts
Just my $0.02, my ffs is stock tune afaik, at least I haven't tuned it... yet..., and mine has also hunted gears like in the above video. Usually around 60-80 mph and it does the same thing. Usually the flow is cruising highway speeds in 6th gear -> WOT -> immediate downshift (gear 4? i think, not totally sure, normal behavior as I am demanding power) -> upshift (gear 5, where it should be shifting up permanently, for about 1/4 second) -> downshift (gear 4, for about 1/4 second) -> upshift gear(5) -> then it is fine until I am off WOT. Its an occasional thing, but figured I would just add my experience as I also see it in stock form.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Just read through all your threads, pretty interesting stuff. You're one of the few folks who are basically on the front lines, pushing these cars to the limit and beyond. Good luck, hope you get this sorted.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Just my $0.02, my ffs is stock tune afaik, at least I haven't tuned it... yet..., and mine has also hunted gears like in the above video. Usually around 60-80 mph and it does the same thing. Usually the flow is cruising highway speeds in 6th gear -> WOT -> immediate downshift (gear 4? i think, not totally sure, normal behavior as I am demanding power) -> upshift (gear 5, where it should be shifting up permanently, for about 1/4 second) -> downshift (gear 4, for about 1/4 second) -> upshift gear(5) -> then it is fine until I am off WOT. Its an occasional thing, but figured I would just add my experience as I also see it in stock form.
Sounds like a shift schedule criss-cross. Ford has done this on some of their factory 6F55 tunes which has concerned me. I'll have to look at the Fusion Sport stock tune to see whats going on.

I spent a great deal of time fixing these issues on my 2018 Explorer. Lots of criss-crossing which results in the hunting, and also just overall bad tuning from the factory. I gained like 2 mpg with my revised shift schedule.

It's very easy to screw up when you are changing shift points in the OSS table and forgot to check if it crosses the downshift or crosses in the wrong area.

Looking at the factory tune, the 5-6/6-5 criss-crosses at mid/part-throttle in the 48-70 mph range (actually uses OSS in the table but I roughly translated to speed). There's only one area in the 4-5/5-4 that crosses.

·
Registered
2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7L Tuned for E30
17 Posts
I'm curious to hear what all would be involved in a 3.0 swap.
I saw Enzo's build thread where he said his was swapped. Has anyone else done it?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Tuning is gonna be the big thing, Sped density will be different, turbos are bigger. So there's a lot to look at. Somewhere I read a guy did a 3.0 swap, and it took him a while just to get it to run, let alone right.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts