Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Ford ramping up its game during a good part of this decade so far its easy to assume why some of us have bought the Fusion Sport and even other new Fords (Fiesta ST gets a lot of love), but surely there are many other reasons and that's what interests me, to see what brought us here.

In my case, I still haven't bought but coming from a history of Honda Accords and Toyota Camry's, I need something fun and affordable to commute in. Looking at the Fusion sport... the math adds up, it's the next best move for someone with my vehicle ownership history.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I need a car that I can drive year round in all weather. I also NEED to have the ability to have fun. I need some power. I have driven Pontiac Grand Prix GT's and a 2010 Fusion Sport. I was avoiding replacing the old sport because there wasn't anything out there that I could realistically see spending money on. I try to be realistic with my money, and while I could afford a more expensive car, I never really saw those cars as being worth the money either. I also am a General Manager, and in the company I work for, you have the Chief level (CEO, COO, and CFO), then the Vice President level, then my level, so I wanted something that still looked more professional as well. I also need the cargo capacity as I am an avid firearm shooter, so I need trunk space for all my range gear.

So when I was looking at cars, I was between the Fusion Sport, the Focus RS, and an EVO. Best deal financially was the Sport, and it covered those other boxes better than the other two while still being fun to drive.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My first new car was a 1991 Mustang GT that I seriously modded into a street and highway sport machine. Roll cage, stroked and super charged motor, serious suspension mods etc. Drove her hard for 12 years, but then the realities of vehicle inspections and emissions testing made it impractical to use it as an daily driver. She currently sits in my garage awaiting a revival some where in the distant future.

Bought an 2009 Flex Limited, though I had initially looked at getting a Fusion with the V6 and AWD. The Flex was an amazing and comfortable highway cruiser, but slow as heck.

Decided to trade in the Flex and knew I wanted AWD and better performance. The boosted Flex was just too much cash so I decided on the Fusion Sport. Happy with my choice, though I will miss the towing capabilities of the Flex and in some ways crave the performance of a new Mustang GT. I guess the Fusion Sport is a solid and acceptable compromise between fun, available funds, and the realities of living in a cold climate with crappy roads 4 month of the year.

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is the first car I've purchased with my own money, other than a 66 F250 that I'm "restoring." It's my third Fusion however, the first two being an '08 and a '10 2.5 SE. I had been saying for a while, "they should put the F150 Ecoboost into the Fusion." I even told some engineers at Ford about this idea last year right before the car was announced when I was interviewing there. I decided I had to support the project after I had wanted it for so long and canceled my deposit on an RS and found the FusSpo I wanted 300 miles away.

I did debate for a while over keeping the RS or getting the FuSpo. They were both spec'd to cost about the same, though I did get good discounts on the FuSpo, in the end, I don't think I would have gotten on the RS, plus promotional 0%. It came down to: better tech on the FuSpo, more room for passenger comfort, a better looking/less immature car, knowing I'd be happy with the Fusion, and somewhat embarrassingly, not knowing how to drive stick well enough to be comfortable with driving the car back from the dealer.

If I were doing it again today, I'm not sure. I'm getting worried with some of the issues others here have experienced. I'd definitely consider the Mustang GT with the 10 speed, I have a feeling that'll be a beast. Charger Scat Pack and possibly the 390? Z would be in the running as well.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Well, I was hunting for a replacement for my 2 damaged cars. 1 was my 2012 Mazdaspeed 3, it was modded to the point FWD would be useless in the winter here. Plus I kinda broke it. My daily was a 2003 forester xt. It was a great daily driver and served a purpose. I work construction so everyday I am dirty as **** and I was sick of trying to clean my Mazda. Unfortunately time caught up with ith forester and it was no longer street legal and was costing me too much $. Now I've always loved the looks of the 2nd gen fusions. Subaru decided to stop making a hatchback and Mitsubishi evo lacked interior comfort. Audi and BMW were my closest choice but reliability and $ made me decide differently. When I heard they made the fusion a 2.7tt I knew immediately that's what I was buying. When I test drove the fusion sport I was sold immediately and put my down payment on it. Happy that I decided to go this route, no doubts.

Reactions: 1153

·
Registered
172 Posts
Always a sport sedan guy.
93 SHO
97 SHO
12 Fusion sport

The 17 Sport won me over.
I was considering the Charger Scat Pack but nearly 45k and you still get a basic stereo/ halogen headlights.

Depends on the person but for me the 17 Sport is the perfect all around car.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Volvo 740 Turbo (first one in Alberta)
Audi 5000 Turbo (AWD, 5 speed)
Couple of Supros
Couple of Preludes
Mazdaspeed6 (AWD 5speed)
BMW 328Xi
GTO
FS

I've always loved sports sedans, and I'm hoping this one will be a long term keeper!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had a 14 Mustang before the Sport. When I found out my wife and I were expecting I knew I needed a better family car.. That being what it was I knew I couldn't just get a "family" car. I needed/wanted something with power. I was looking at the SHO but found that it was just too big and bulky. Thats when the dealer lead me to the Fusions. I test drove a 1.5 eco AWD. It was nice, peppy but it was still lacking for me. Thats when I found out about the Sport. I told the deal what to find for me. Took them a week to find the Sport, Black, Sync Connect and, Moon roof - Turns out it was fully loaded too so thats a plus. Went in took and a look and then test drive. Needless to say I was a happy camper. I still miss the Mustang and will have another soon enough but the Sport makes one **** of a Family car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am getting married next year and plan to start a family. Needed something bigger than a focus but still fun to drive. Fell in love with the FS the minute I sat behind the wheel.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I had 2 blue (low milage and well maintained) Ford sedans that had more problems than anyone has a right to deal with, especially considering how nice they looked (and the sheer breadth of the Carfax on each) when I bought them.

My 02 Taurus had engine, transmission, and suspension troubles, and I ended up paying the (used in '09 with 68K miles for $6200) purchase price once over in repairs in my 5 years of ownership.

My 05 Five Hundred had transmission, brake, and suspension problems and was supposed to be the bulletproof replacement for my troublesome Taurus. (Used in '14 with just 47K for $9000) I overpaid, I know, but it was pretty much exactly the car I was looking for at the time. Then the problems started piling on and I was at 3/4 of the purchase price in repairs when I decided that I was done paying for used cars twice over, or more, considering the Five hundred needed a rebuilt transmission, worth the value of the car.

So, I graduated and got a job, my dream job really, and realized that I could afford a new car, which would come with the option I wanted most; A WARRANTY.

So as far as choosing my next car, I knew the price I wanted to pay, and I knew I wanted something that was quick, preferably with 6 cylinders, or a good turbo 4, and American (preferably a Ford, since I didn't learn my lesson).

The 2.0 fusion is slow in my book, with a 0-60 time pretty close to my Five Hundred in the 7.5 second range... The Taurus SHO was my next choice but it was just too fat and cramped for a car that shared a chassis with my huge and spacious Five Hundred. The Regal Turbo I looked at was a very close second, but was ultimately still on the slow (and small) side in my book.

Thankfully, the FuSpo came out just at the right time for me, and it was more or less exactly the car I was looking for as far as size, speed, looks and price.

I would have liked to hang on to my Five Hundred for a few more years until the new new generation of the Fusion (and the sport!!) came out, but I wasn't about to put a transmission into my 11 year old Five Hundred.

I still give Ford props for eating thier "never a V6 fusion" words and dropping this honey of an engine into a solid, and pretty, family car. Too bad the new 9 speed wasn't ready yet...

·
Registered
150 Posts
The Fusion Sport is the first ever NEW car I have bought. My first ever car was a 95 Mustang GT, that was simply too slow. It had exhaust, rear end gears and a beefed up air filter, but it simply wasn't in the same league as the other cars I was hanging around with.

So to replace that, I got myself a used 98 Trans Am. Pulled the LS1 out of it with 73K miles, bought a warranty'd motor from the dealership I worked at for 200 dollars, stripped it down to the block, and rebuilt it. Ended up upgrading cam, ported my own heads, new intake, long tube headers, exhaust cut out, cat-back exhaust, and computer tuning at Speed Inc. Put Nitto drag radials on the back, geforce tires on the front, and ran high 11s, low 12s at the track. That car was my baby, and my pride and joy. Won plenty of dough with it, and handled several Ferraris an embarrassing L to hang in their garage.

After I spun 4 bearings on my rebuilt engine (ughh.... still hurts to think about) and not working at the dealership I was working at anymore, and uh... growing up a little and not wanting to race anything in sight, I decided to to get a regular sedan that was good on gas. I got a used 2000 Oldsmobile Alero with 2100 miles on it!!! Eventually, I traded that car in to help a family member get a new car, and took her hand me down, which was a 2008 Saturn Vue (worst car I have ever owned). Recently, the Vue had 114K miles on it, I felt like I was about to get blindsided by a costly repair, and decided now is a better time than ever to replace this thing.

Being a GM guy, I first looked at the Chevys. To my dismay, none of them had AWD. Living in Chicago, and being all too familiar with Chicago winters, I decided that AWD was the make or break option for my first ever new car, and Chevy had just eliminated itself. I didn't want an SUV, I wanted a sedan.

My good friend got a brand new 2014 Fusion when it came out, and when he brought it by the first time I remember saying out loud "****, Ford is really stepping their game up..." He took me for a ride, and at the end of the ride I made him pop the hood to PROVE to me the car was a 4 cylinder, as it felt like a 6. At that point, I was curious.

When I realized Chevy didn't have an AWD sedan in their line, I took a look at a new 2016 Buick Regal, and was very impressed. This wasn't my grandpa's Buick anymore.. However, my same friend said "Go to Ford and test drive the 2017 Fusion, see how you like it." I went over to a local Ford store, drove the Fusion Sport, and fell in love. The rest as they say, is history.

TL;DR: I bought my Fusion for the following reasons:
-The Fusion looks like an Aston Martin from the front... I love Aston Martins.
-The drive is amazing. The power is there when you want it, and the car keeps pouring it on as you stand on the throttle.
-Compared to other cars in its class, it stands above it in looks and performance.
-Overall, the car is the perfect size, and still looks sporty.. That's where my heart lies.. with sports cars.
-The technology on the car blew me away. BLIS, auto wipers, auto head lights, SYNC 3, backup cam, nav, you name it, the car has it.
-The AWD literally owns the snow covered roads. Snow storms are meaningless, and the car will remind of you of this.
-The shift knob (or PRNDL switch, as us in the repair biz are used to saying) is a Jaguar inspired knob that you twist.. This may seem small, but I cannot accurately put into words how cool this is, and how much it cleans up the steering column and center console
-The lightning blue color I got GLEAMS in the sun after a wash. Delivers a great sense of pride when looked at.

·
Registered
20 Posts
AWD, Automatic, High HP/Torque, Spacious Cabin and Trunk, Affordable...

The real questions is how this car isn't more popular?

I guess the downside is gas mileage, ~20mpg mixed just isn't a whole lot.
However, the next best option in the "AWD automatic midsize sedan" segment (in my opinion) is the Subaru Legacy 3.6 and its 75hp short and only +2-3 mpg.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I started with 1st year production fusion 06 SEL , 10+ years it never failed me. So it was a easy choice for me to jump in a FS , plus it was a upgrade in every way possible coming from a 2006..

2300 miles in the FS so far = Nothing but =)

Reactions: 1153

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife and I were a two Mustang family for many years. Getting older makes you re-think some things and crawling in and out of a Mustang on a daily basis got old. BUT, getting older does not mean we still don't like to have some fun so in 2012 we traded one of our Mustangs on the newly remodeled Focus, no ST yet but still a semi-fun littler car. That didn't last long as we grew tired of the lackluster performance on trips so we traded it on a 2012 California Special Mustang for my wife, back to two Mustangs. I had a 2010 Roush 540RH and traded my Hammer on a 2012 Roush RS3 that after a C.A.I. and a pulley change along with a tune managed right at 600 to the tires. I raced it some and won several events but found out the 6 speed automatic I ordered the car with could not stand the added HP or track abuse so I ended up having the transmission rebuilt (no warranty due to my changes) to the tune of $6000.00. Needless to say that was it for the RS3 so we traded that on a new for 2013 Titanium Ford Fusion AWD. We loved the car and kept it until recently when we traded it in on our 2017 Fusion Sport which we love. I plan on a few mods such as exhaust and C.A.I. and probably a tune at some point but for now we are just enjoying the added power and driving dynamics of the 2017 Sport over the 2013 Titanium, world of difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2006 Dodge Charger r/t, 2009 Dodge Challenger r/t, 2011 Dodge Challenger 392, 2005 Subaru Legacy gt, 2013 Subaru Impreza. I got tired of having 1 car for the snow and the other for sunny days. That's why I chose the FS. Good power and great in the snow!

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
I wanted a car with AWD and more power. The Edge Sport was a lot more expensive with comparable features and still didn't even have CCD suspension. And most importantly, insurance still considers it a normal sedan rather than a sports car (Focus ST & RS, etc).

Reactions: Flew
1 - 17 of 17 Posts