Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For folks like me with seasons in NY; does it make a difference what time of year to tune the car? Especially speaking of custom tunes.

My logical thought process would be different results with different air intake temps. I'm not concerned on the performance side of things. I'm more concerned about issues arising (engine/tranny issues or whatnot) due to temp change and how the tune is programmed during a certain season, datalogging with certain temps...

For instance, if the car is custom tuned when it's in the 90's in the summer, would/could the difference in temperature in the winter cause a problem with that tune I have? Or vice versa (tune in the winter).

I'm not sure if ANYTHING I just said above makes any sense, or if air temp really makes that much of a difference when doing the tune to cause a problem.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Tune any time. All the factory sensors still work and adjust for varying conditions.

You will NOT regret tuning. Tuning enhances the factory settings.

I have the Unleashed 93 tune, the 87 tune, and the 87 WINTER tune, because it gets very cold where I live. Any of the tunes still compensate for anything the stock tune compensates for.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Quick answer would be to check with tuner and datalog when the weather changes to be safe. But get the tune whenever you want.

Best time to run a tune, is any time you drive the car lol.

I do know what your saying, but I don't see the point getting the tune during a specific weather season, especially because if your really concerned, then you should check up on the tune when the weather changes(in either direction) anyways.
If your not getting a finely tuned, data logged tune, I don't think you need to worry too much. Yes the weather variables do make a difference, particularly on performance, but unless your tune is so.... How should I say, "tight", datalog specific I wouldn't be too concerned. I've had a tune for close to a year here in MI. None of my tunes were adjusted for weather.
However, I did hear from others that you should check with your tuner when it starts to get cold. So I checked with Torrie(Unleashed tuning) and he asked me some questions that required me to datalog to get the answers. I can't speak for him, but I got the feeling that he was going to look into it for me more because I asked than that he actually felt it was necessary. Well I've never datalogged and I can be super lazy. I ended up running the latest tune he had given me at the time through till the middle of January. Then I decided to go back to stock for the rest of the winter just to run 87 and save a few bucks, since winter driving in MI doesn't afford too much enthusiastic driving. Never had any issues with my tune running in temps going below freezing.

So when's the best time? Whenever your ready to spend the money. Worst case scenario, just check with your tuner when the weather changes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tune any time. All the factory sensors still work and adjust for varying conditions.

I have the Unleashed 93 tune, the 87 tune, and the 87 WINTER tune, because it gets very cold where I live. Any of the tunes still compensate for anything the stock tune compensates for.
Could you give me some details on 87 tunes ?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
On an otherwise stock vehicle, should not matter much.

But I refused to tune my mustang with Roush blower in
ungodly summer temps, mainly due to pushing the edge of
the stock engine internals. Would rather have tune real close,
before pushing it hard in real high temps.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have no details about the 87 tunes. I asked Torrie for them, and he said he could do it, and they are sitting in my SCT tuner. I have not downloaded them yet.

I got the 87 tune in case I go on a road trip, and am unsure of 93 octane availability. The 87 WINTER will be downloaded in a couple of months when it gets cold enough around here.

I will try to post my opinion/thoughts when I download one or the other...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all the replies folks... Great input!

I have no details about the 87 tunes. I asked Torrie for them, and he said he could do it, and they are sitting in my SCT tuner. I have not downloaded them yet.

I got the 87 tune in case I go on a road trip, and am unsure of 93 octane availability. The 87 WINTER will be downloaded in a couple of months when it gets cold enough around here.

I will try to post my opinion/thoughts when I download one or the other...

I did a little bit of digging on "winter" gas. That must be a whole nother topic in itself.

Is it not worth running Premium in the Winter? Or is the logic you should run the 87 Winter tune with Premium just to be safe...

·
Registered
552 Posts
No need to run premium. It's a winter tune based on 87 octane gas. I figure I won't be "enjoying" the car as much in the winter.

I imagine Torrie could do a 93 winter tune if you asked, but you would have to confirm that with him.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Pinky -- We live in similar climates, and the 87 Winter tune sounds interesting; I probably would never have thought to ask about a "winter" tune. What kind of explanation did you get about how it's different than the 87 tune? I'm running the 93 Performance tune (since 300 miles, now at 1300) and have been impressed. Thanks!

·
Registered
552 Posts
No explanation at all. I read about it on another forum, and asked Torrie about it. He said he could do it, so I got it.

I never asked for any explanation, because I was pretty sure he wouldn't get into much detail. I trust him and his tunes - that's good enough for me.

Great guy, but he doesn't waste any words.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts